OT - any tips on picking out a cat?

OMG my orange tabby is a "talker" too. I didn't mention that earlier.

He will come up & just try to have a conversation with me. We go back & forth. When I ask him a question, he promptly responds. He cracks us up!!:rotfl:

Ours, too. He sits outside my bedroom in the morning, crying for me to open the door so he can come in.

Just a quiet warning. Kittens have an important socialization period where they should be with their mothers and littermates. Be careful of adopting a very young kitten that has missed this stage!

Our kitten came to us too young - she was taken away from her litter at about 5 weeks and missed that critical window. So she had some strange habits. She kneaded and suckled on me ALL THE TIME for the first few months, wouldn't eat her food unless I was actually in the room with her (at first, I had to be petting her before she would eat!), always had to be sleeping near me (on my hair, actually!). I had to teach her how to use the litterbox - Thank God, it didn't take long. She never learned to like other people. It was always me, and only me, that she really loved. And she was always a bit rough with her claws and quick to bite. Stuff she should've learned from her mommy, but didn't.

So, I'd say, make sure you get a cat that had at least the first 7 or 8 weeks with its mother. It will probably make your transition a LOT easier than mine was!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter