Oster Roaster Oven @ Sam's

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
Update 2/24/2012 I bought the oster stainless steel roaster but I barely opened the box tonight. I'm about to run to the store tonight and buy a Porkbutt roast for tomorrow. I was reading directions and it reads:

Due to manufacturing process, some smoke and odor may be noticed during first use.This should disappear after the first heating of the roaster.

so what does this mean??Can i cook my meat without the burn off? Should i still do the burn off first and if so how long? Do i put anything in the roaster like water or just turn it own with it clean, dry and empty? I was going to do the burn off outside on the patio right now. Hopefully someone can answer me because I'm going grocery shopping in a bit. Thanks

BTW- Does anyone make carnitas in a roaster??/If you do please let me know .Looking for a good recipe Thanks
----------------------------------------------

Went to Sam's club today. They had an Oster Roaster oven stainless steel
22qrt for $45 . My question is has anyone bought one from there and how was the brand? I did a search for Sam's reviews and there was only 2 from there and both were negative. The reviews were from last year so maybe it was just a bad batch.

Or let me know what brand you have thats good
GE
Hamilton beach

etc

Thanks looking to get one soon

I have one Oster and a Hamilton Beach. They are well over 7 years old. I love them. My mom has been using roasters for over 35 years. Good for cooking turkeys and hams, but beware that the turkey will not be that picture perfect dark brown like in pictures, but it will be super juicy. I personally think a ham tastes better when cooked in the conventional oven. The plus is when using a roaster, the kitchen doesn't get heated up so badly, there is less basting needed, and the oven is free for cooking every thing else.

Does any store near you have Nesco roasters? From what I understand - that is the "gold-standard" in roasters. They often go on sale at this time of year.

I've been in the dark on this particular appliance, borrowed one last year when I was serving a girls cross country team for a pasta dinner. We bought one in November, due to a great sale a local store had on them.

I have one Oster and a Hamilton Beach. They are well over 7 years old. I love them. My mom has been using roasters for over 35 years. Good for cooking turkeys and hams, but beware that the turkey will not be that picture perfect dark brown like in pictures, but it will be super juicy. I personally think a ham tastes better when cooked in the conventional oven. The plus is when using a roaster, the kitchen doesn't get heated up so badly, there is less basting needed, and the oven is free for cooking every thing else.
Now I'm craving some ham and turkey-lol! I live in socal so I'm loving the idea of being able to usethis and the entire house not getting hot.

Does any store near you have Nesco roasters? From what I understand - that is the "gold-standard" in roasters. They often go on sale at this time of year.

I've been in the dark on this particular appliance, borrowed one last year when I was serving a girls cross country team for a pasta dinner. We bought one in November, due to a great sale a local store had on them.

I have not seen a nesco but I've only checked jcpenny, walmart, khols. Does anyone know what department stores sell nesco?

The GE one at walmart the insde part you could pull out so are all the roasting ovens have the inside part come out kinda like the crock pots?

I have not seen a nesco but I've only checked jcpenny, walmart, khols. Does anyone know what department stores sell nesco?

The GE one at walmart the insde part you could pull out so are all the roasting ovens have the inside part come out kinda like the crock pots?

First of all, yes, the insert on all roaster ovens come out just like a crock pot. I only remove it to wrap it thoroughly in aluminum foil (easier clean up) and then replace it before adding the heavy meat item. Then, of course, when the item is finished, I remove the item and then remove the inset for cleaning in the sink.

Try to find a roaster that has a buffet insert. ONe of mine has a 3 tray insert for buffet style serving. You just pour some water in the bottom of the roaster, turn the unit on, add the lid, and let the steam keep your food warm. This accessory can also be bought separately later on, but if you get it included witht he roaster it is cheaper in the long run. Mine came with the roaster.

I bought a Nesco for my friend about 5 years ago because it was the only company that would mail to a military address and at that time our military store did not carry electric roasters. It worked just as fine as my Oster and Hamilton Beach. I'm sorry. I have not really looked at roasters since being back in the states, so I can't comment on where to find Nesco products. I think Nesco calls themselves the "gold standard" because they were the first ones to make the roaster oven (1930's)....sort of the way Crock Pot was the first to make the , well, crock pot....lol.

I can't speak to the quality of the Sam's ones but wanted to let you know I see great deals on them all the time at Kohls. Add in a coupon and you could get a nicer brand for cheaper :thumbsup2

Lot's of good info about the roasters on the cooking board. I bumped a 2009 thread that was very helpful, with both cooking and purchase tips. I love mine! I bought the Hamilton Beach.

I just bought one today...never used one before...heard Nesco was the way to go...got my 18 quart at Sears was on sale for $39.99 and they had a 15% off coupn so got is for $33.00 not bad. Anyone have one and can tell me how they did they "Burn off" they talk about in the manual? Also would it be best to line it with foil befor doing a large turkey?

I just bought one today...never used one before...heard Nesco was the way to go...got my 18 quart at Sears was on sale for $39.99 and they had a 15% off coupn so got is for $33.00 not bad. Anyone have one and can tell me how they did they "Burn off" they talk about in the manual? Also would it be best to line it with foil befor doing a large turkey?

Not sure what the burn off is you are talking about. I just turned it on and used it. :confused3

In post 5, I mentioned using aluminim foil to prevent a messy cleanup. I highly suggest this. I feel there is enough mess in the kitchen without dealing with the turkey cooker. Another hint is to fold 2 pieces of aluminum foil into rather thick pieces (an inch or so). I place them so that the legs are propped away from the sides of the roaster. It prevents them from direct heat and becoming too dried out and stuck to the sides.

The burn off is "nasty". We did ours in the garage - and am really glad we did this outside. Definitely needs to be done. I wouldn't use it without burning it off. But- do it outside. Took about an hour if I recall.

If you "must" do it inside - do it on a day when you can open the windows.

Can't help with the turkey question - we toss ours on the grill.

Had a friend buy an Oster Roaster on clearance from Target this summer for $20. She's used it 3 times and was satisfied with the results-only problem for her is storing it when not in use.

so you got the nesco brand? Wish I would have went to sears, didnt realize they carried nesco instore if thats what you got. If you didnt get a nesco what brand did you get? Where did you find a 15% coupon?
Had a friend buy an Oster Roaster on clearance from Target this summer for $20. She's used it 3 times and was satisfied with the results-only problem for her is storing it when not in use.
Thinking about storing it is such a big turnoff==lol! I told dh he needs to build me a storage area in the pantry or closed-lol!

When you do the burn off to you just turn it on or do you add water? When i get mine I plan on doing in on the patio outside...poor neighbors-hahhaha

When you do the burn off to you just turn it on or do you add water? When i get mine I plan on doing in on the patio outside...poor neighbors-hahhaha

There were very specific directions with the Nesco for the burn-off.

How To Use And Care For
Your 18-Qt. NESCO Roaster Oven
BEFORE USING FOR THE FIRST TIME
1. Unpack your NESCO Roaster Oven completely. Remove
the Cookwell and remove all packing materials and
information labels. Place the Roaster Oven in a
well-ventilated area on a heat resistant surface.
Set the temperature control dial to its minimum setting.
Plug the cord into a 120 volt AC outlet, set the control
dial to its maximum setting 450°F. Operate the Roaster
Oven empty (without the Cookwell and Cover) for about
60 minutes, or until any odor or smoke disappears. Some
smoke and odor is a normal part of “curing” the heating
element, and will not occur while cooking. When curing
is completed, turn the temperature control to its lowest
setting, unplug the unit, and allow it to cool.
2. Wash the Cover, Cookwell and Rack in warm, sudsy water.
Rinse and dry. See “Care and Cleaning” section for
complete cleaning instructions.

As far as storing it - we keep ours in the basement, right next to the mega-coffee maker that we have (the one that makes 48 cups). That part for us was easy :)

Like I mentioned above, lots of great information on a thread on the cooking board, including the burn off. I don't know how to post a link here, sorry. It will answer pretty all your questions though.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2317424 (Hopefully this works for the link!)

I store it in my garage, in the manufacturers box. It works for me.

There's a 18 qt Nesco in the Menards ad this week for $38.88. Not sure if this is the best price around but at least we now know of another store that carries them! :thumbsup2

Update 2/24/2012 I bought the oster stainless steel roaster but I barely opened the box tonight. I'm about to run to the store tonight and buy a Porkbutt roast for tomorrow. I was reading directions and it reads:

Due to manufacturing process, some smoke and odor may be noticed during first use.This should disappear after the first heating of the roaster.

so what does this mean??Can i cook my meat without the burn off? Should i still do the burn off first and if so how long? Do i put anything in the roaster like water or just turn it own with it clean, dry and empty? I was going to do the burn off outside on the patio right now. Hopefully someone can answer me because I'm going grocery shopping in a bit. Thanks

BTW- Does anyone make carnitas in a roaster??/If you do please let me know .Looking for a good recipe Thanks

Update: Well somehow i ended up making starwberry shortcake and didnt make it to the store. I ended up putting the roaster outside on 300 and didnt put anything in it and left the lid on. Hope it burns off the smell and my house doesnt burn down. Not sure for how long to live the roaster on. I've done a search and Nesco keeps coming up. Some say 8 hours and another said an hour.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll wake up early and go to the store for the porkbutt roast

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter