Orlando Real Estate Question

KathyC71

Earning My Ears
I watch the Moving to Orlando You Tube channel frequently and love, love it. A friend and I plan to eventually move to Orlando from Pennsylvania sometime but not quite ready to start looking around with a realtor. I was doing some research by looking on realtor.com. There is a condo building in Celebration that was built around 2003 and is three or four stories but has no elevator. Does Florida or the county where Celebration is located have laws requiring elevators? The unit I saw was on the third floor.

Also, I am new here so if I posted this in the wrong area please let me know as I didn't see a moving to Orlando thread.

I watch the Moving to Orlando You Tube channel frequently and love, love it. A friend and I plan to eventually move to Orlando from Pennsylvania sometime but not quite ready to start looking around with a realtor. I was doing some research by looking on realtor.com.

There is a condo building in Celebration that was built around 2003 and is three or four stories but has no elevator. Does Florida or the county where Celebration is located have laws requiring elevators? The unit I saw was on the third floor.

Also, I am new here so if I posted this in the wrong area please let me know as I didn't see a moving to Orlando thread.

You are smart to be doing your research now. I would suggest any place you are interested in to explore all issues including the crime issues in that area. There are lots of websites with that info. Also if you are considering renting out, some places (I believe all of Orange Co) do not allow vacation rentals. Check closely your real estate taxes and def if considering condos look at the monthly fee and financial health of the POA/COA association including if there are any outstanding assessments. Also what type of condo.

In regards to elevators, if there are none and it's Celebration, then I would assume they are in full compliance. I would not be surprised if in 2003 it was not a requirement. I know a complex by us has 3 story buildings without elevators. I think they are grandfathered. I believe if 3 stories and each floor has below a certain amount of square feet then it is not required. If you need an elevator then I would look for a building that has one or a first floor unit.

When we decided to buy I looked at agents that regularly listed in the complexes we were interested in. Once I had a few names and I read about them, I contacted one and it turned out great.

Good luck!

When you move , you might start to realize a small desire to live closer to Universal Studios Haha … locals love Universal Studios Orlando and they love locals right back,
lots of new construction everywhere . That’s why I suggest taking your time to research this choice. Good luck

Last edited:
If you are looking for a home in the Orlando area I would recommend staying away from the tourist areas (Disney/Universal/I-Drive/etc.) as these areas are incredibly congested and not ideal for local residents seeking a sense of community.. I would instead recommend areas such as Lake Nona, Downtown Orlando, Winter Park, Maitland, Windermere, and Seminole County (Longwood/Altamonte Springs/Oviedo)

We loved Lake Nona area … but decided it was for young families and we wanted a quiet area with trees .
That is why we chose Celebration.
Yes we drive right over that traffic congestion everyday and thank ourselves for choosing Celebration. It is a quiet clean oasis right next to that tourist area !

^^ I agree, make sure to do some online research about all of the issues they are having due to shoddy construction associated with Celebration. Someplace you visit as a tourist on vacation is probably not the best place to live full-time.

I would never live in a 3-story building that doesn't have elevators. What sense does that make? Do you really want to drag groceries or anything else you buy all the way to the 3rd floor? As you get older will you still be able to climb all those stairs each time you want to go somewhere?

Florida is also much more then just Orlando, so need to consider why you want to move there and what sort of things you are looking for. I think there are several older threads that talk about moving to Florida so might look there for what has previously been discussed.

Long time reader, first time poster. My wife and I have been in Orlando for 16 years and have lived all over the area. Of the suggestions given above, I agree that if you want a sense of community, choose areas like Lake Nona, Winter Park, or Oviedo. They have neighborhoods that are pretty interactive and feel tight knit but are also very close to a lot of entertainment and more high-paced areas of the city. I agree to avoid the touristy areas. With that being said, if anyone is moving here to work for Disney, one of the most convenient areas (that isn't touristy) is Lake Nona. It's diverse, one of the best planned communities in the US, has a lot to do and is fairly close to Disney (and obviously the newly planned Lake Nona campus). DL1 mentioned above that it's for young families and while that is true and the development around the area is focused on young and active families, there are a lot of areas that are quieter. For example, around the lakes there (Lake Nona, Lake Hart, Lake Mary Jane) it still remains country living while only 10 minutes from a ton of stuff to do. Whe have lived in a neighborhood out there and it felt like the best of both worlds of quiet and laid back and having the ability to be very active when you wanted to.

Regarding elevators, I beleive anything four stories or higher must have elevators per Florida law. That is why you find so many apartment complexes with only three floors. Elevators are expensive to install and maintain. This goes back at least until the late 70s early 80s.

I happened to come across this old thread and thought I'd chime in. Moving to Orlando sounds exciting! I believe Florida does have regulations regarding elevators in buildings, especially when it comes to accessibility.
The post above yours is correct -- elevators are only required in buildings of 4+ floors. WDW has at least 1 resort without elevators, and several other buildings at other resorts without elevators. The appropriate number of accessible units must then be on the ground floor.

I have never made a cross the country move. If we were wanting to move to the Orlando area in Sept/Oct of any particular year, when would you suggest we get in touch with a realtor to start the looking/buying process? We would most likely take 1 or 2 trips to the area for house hunting purposes. We will be moving from the Midwest.

I have never made a cross the country move. If we were wanting to move to the Orlando area in Sept/Oct of any particular year, when would you suggest we get in touch with a realtor to start the looking/buying process? We would most likely take 1 or 2 trips to the area for house hunting purposes. We will be moving from the Midwest.
Here are my 2 cents:

First I would do a lot of research to narrow where in Orlando you would want to live. This is a large, sprawling metropolis.

Do you need good schools? To be close to work? Close to shopping? Do you need to commute?

Realtors generally work certain areas of the region, so picking one that knows where you want to live is going to be a big benefit to finding a home in an area you will be satisfied with.

Once you have a good idea of where you want to live and your budget, I would meet with some Realtors to find one you like.

When you find an agent, you should be ready to make an offer immediately. If you find a Realtor on Sept. 1 you should be ready to make an offer on Sept. 1.

The housing market is cooler, but inventory is still relatively low. You will need to move quickly once you find what you want.

Also, be aware that September/October is peak hurricane season and that can sometimes disrupt doing business in Florida.

Here are my 2 cents:

First I would do a lot of research to narrow where in Orlando you would want to live. This is a large, sprawling metropolis.

Do you need good schools? To be close to work? Close to shopping? Do you need to commute?

Realtors generally work certain areas of the region, so picking one that knows where you want to live is going to be a big benefit to finding a home in an area you will be satisfied with.

Once you have a good idea of where you want to live and your budget, I would meet with some Realtors to find one you like.

When you find an agent, you should be ready to make an offer immediately. If you find a Realtor on Sept. 1 you should be ready to make an offer on Sept. 1.

The housing market is cooler, but inventory is still relatively low. You will need to move quickly once you find what you want.

Also, be aware that September/October is peak hurricane season and that can sometimes disrupt doing business in Florida.
Thanks for the info! We will be retired so schools and work commute will not be an issue. Good info on realtors working certain areas......we have a couple picked out if we could find something in our price range. Moving the move to between the holidays or after the first of the year would be better also. Thanks for your reply!!

When looking at homes in FL, watch out for what FL calls older homes. Insurance companies give you headaches when trying to insure them. My home was built in 89 and it's "old". Also even on newer homes, check the age of the roof (do not purchase if over 10 yrs old), age of AC unit and some insurance companies even want to know the age of the hot water heater. Homeowners insurance is very expensive in FL. Also make sure you check the flood risks. Yes, it's inland but still floods. I hate being a downer, but these are things realtors might not tell you. Just my opinion, I wouldn't purchase anything but concrete block construction too. Frame homes do not always do well in bad storms. I'm living in FL since 1991 on the west coast and have gone through a few major storms

It's crucial for potential homeowners to be aware of the factors that can affect their insurance and the condition of their property.
We are considering a move from NJ to Florida in the next 2 - 3 years. The insurance rates, roof conditions and flood zones are things we are trying to factor in also. I personally seem to feel safer with new construction as opposed to older homes in the same price range. This past summer we toured New Construction in Ocala, Poinciana, Auburndale, Bartow and Sebring. Existing home prices were almost comparable to the new construction. I can't imagine buying a home built in 2007 for the same price as a newly constructed home. It almost a no brainer knowing my HVAC, Roof, foundation, appliances, etc are all NEW for basically the same price.

I dont pretend to be an expert on how you guys do real estate business etc, but i do love exploring the communities around Orlando away from the disney bubble, i find Celebration really nice, i like lake nona too, but my fave places to see a bit of ‘real’ central florida life are Winter Garden and Winter Park, id quite happily live in these places (if your healthcare was affordable), the homes are nice, the amenities are superb and they all have good transport links.
I watch a lot of youtube on real estate in Orlando, Ken Pozek is really good and would be my go to real estate agent if i was to ever buy.

We are considering a move from NJ to Florida in the next 2 - 3 years. The insurance rates, roof conditions and flood zones are things we are trying to factor in also. I personally seem to feel safer with new construction as opposed to older homes in the same price range. This past summer we toured New Construction in Ocala, Poinciana, Auburndale, Bartow and Sebring. Existing home prices were almost comparable to the new construction. I can't imagine buying a home built in 2007 for the same price as a newly constructed home. It almost a no brainer knowing my HVAC, Roof, foundation, appliances, etc are all NEW for basically the same price.
In general, I would not move to any of those areas.

I dont pretend to be an expert on how you guys do real estate business etc, but i do love exploring the communities around Orlando away from the disney bubble, i find Celebration really nice, i like lake nona too, but my fave places to see a bit of ‘real’ central florida life are Winter Garden and Winter Park, id quite happily live in these places (if your healthcare was affordable), the homes are nice, the amenities are superb and they all have good transport links.
I watch a lot of youtube on real estate in Orlando, Ken Pozek is really good and would be my go to real estate agent if i was to ever buy.
Out of those areas for me only WP.

I've lived in the Orlando area for nearly 20 years from PA. I would highly suggest renting for a FULL summer to see if the weather and environment are a fit before committing to an all out purchase. Many transplants have buyer's remorse within a year or two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter