Organize Your Scrap Space - 2010 Edition - Week 5 It's All About the Photos

Lookin' good Molli!

BTW your mom was in the scrap section today singing your praises on how nice you paper was organized! She's so sweet!

Week 1 - Brainstorming

Ideal space:
tools within reach of my work space. So, carousel or drawers

I don't like a lot of stuff out, cluttered looking but I do like visual cues. So buttons in a jar yes, buttons in a tray no.

an "in" box for scraps. I pile them up and put them away at the end of the day. Or at least that's my intention, it just never goes that way.

a messy space - a place where I can do things like sprays and alcohol inks that could be left alone. Like when Tim Holtz does his wipe the mat with distress ink and water it down thing. It can get messy.

A shelf (or 4) around the top of the room to display my cameras. This is the one thing I am collecting now. I need to sell off my Barbies or give them to DD since I really don't need them. I'd rather have the cameras.

storage for larger tools like my Cricuts, sizzix, bind it all, etc. I'm thinking about a potting table for my work space with open shelves underneath. Maybe like this, the recessed bin would be nice for scraps. I'd like the table to be deeper though. I bet DH could make me one using a galvanized bin from Ikea.
d_10848.jpg

I usually stand but would like the option to sit so I would need a stool or something.

i like the potting table idea --

girls are off school this friday, oldest DD and I have plans to go to The Container Store. any must-haves from there?

i need a better way to store my sizzix diecuts/embossing so i make use of it more often. I do not have a huge amount nor do i look to ever...more basics and 2 sets of alphabets that i hardly use. ideas?

oh and how silly of Mom :teeth:

Brainstorming I think it will be working on a new desk space. Since dad isn't healing as fast I'm thinking I'm going to see what Tom can make that I can use now and repurpose when dad can do a full desk(late summer probably). I'm also walking around with Hope's print out of my room and trying to visualize hoe it will look. I'd like to keep the back window as an open area boys like to watch wildlife out it and they are always climbing on stuff to look out it. I've decided to measure all peices and cut out shapes and play with it all on graph paper.

Buffy I love the potting table idea. that would also be a good embossing area. even with the tray I manage to make that fly!!!

I asked DH if he could make one and he said it would probably be easy to do. Now to get him to do it!

Christy, could you make them some kind of a perch with a desk or bookcase or something under it. Then they could climb safely without potentially knocking anything off.

that's what I'm trying to figure out. normally my baby bug sits on the cabinet dad built and in Hope's drawing it's under the window. I'm thinking if I flip and put the desk against the back wall and the cabinet as you come in the door going out into the room I could possibly leave the boys desk where it is and then just filp the futon to my old desk space and move toms desk and bookcase into the corner where the laptop is. If I can rig some shelf unit low above my desk that can hold the supply cabinet I can eliminate that piece.

Course all this needs to be done in an 8 hour period 1 weekend when DH is out grooming cause he wants nothing to do with it.

I know what you need what you mean by getting him to do it. That's when I go and get all the supplies and take the boys for a ride and say here I'm giving you the day off from your chores and kiddos go for it.

Spent the last 2 days playing with the floorplan and went so far as to cut out pieces to the sizes. I have also made a how to accomplish this move list since the floor space and upstairs space in general are VERY limited.

Phase 1 is to clean up the last few piles in our bedroom

Phase 2 is to pack up the scrap desk, sewing supplies and table, and the cabinet that hold my extra supplies. All of that will move out to the bedroom. The simple reason is they are the smallest of the pieces but will give me the room to swing things around.

Phase 3 is Clean out from under the futon, and find homes for stuff no longer needed to scrap ie Old pics that are done. swing the futon into the spot where the scrap desk was. Move file cabinet to the end of futon.

At this point colapse and take a quick nap!!!

Phase 4 Tackle Toms desk Please say a prayer for me this is going to be a bugger. then his bookcase. These to pieces will be the worst.

Phase 5 bring scrap desk back in and move cabinet that dad made. This will require empting it and 3 men and a boy too move it is heavy!!! all that will be left is bringing in the sewing table. and all the odds and ends.

start date is tomorrow night for phase 1!! I'm in hopes to have the whole project all back in the room by sunday night. We'll see how it goes.

After that I have 2 small build projects for dad when He is up to par. One is a desk topper and the other is a cabinet for above the sewing machine or a small desk for it with storage below.

CHRISTY THIS IS EXCITING! do be carful moving the big pieces, use your legs not your back. sorry, it's the mother in me :teeth:

I went to container store yesterday and spent an hour talking with salesgal about their Elfa track shelving system. it's nice quality...i'm going to Lowe's/Home Depot today to see if they have similar and price compare. Also today i'm going to draw up my walls and i'll scan and post. Utilizing my wall space is my main goal here...floor space isn't really an issue.

also I bought 4 of the Jetmax wall ribbon shelves, a magnetic board and the making memories carosuel.

My scrap rack bag came yesterday and I think I can get all of my Disney stuff in it which will clear up a ton of space.
I have to touch everything to load it into the bag so I'm also purging the things I have hung on to for years and I know I'll never use. I also found $8 tucked behind a hostess swap item!! LOL

Buffy -- does your LSS have 'garage sales'? i have not done but Mom has had success

here is my drawing
roomplan.jpg

dang it.... Buffy can you edit and make that a reasonable size? i only know thumbprint and full...isn't there a way to make that smaller?

much better! And I'm totally jealous of the amount of space you have!!

Yes, I do have an LSS with garage sales but you only get store credit for product and a lot of my stuff is kind of dumpy. Some of it's from way early in my scrapping days. I'm giving some of it to my kids and the rest to Girl Scouts. They can always use stuff.

thank you! if that is a quick fix will you PM me the directions for future reference :thumbsup2

I am very blessed to be able to claim this section of the basement. I have been in that area for probably 10 years and it has evolved right along side the products of cropping. Last summer I cleared out a TON of the type of product you are talking about, you know, alphabet stickers from a Current Catalog, flimsy 8.5x11 patterned paper, the first round of 3D stickers.....lol...brings back memories huh?

I just went to Lowe's and priced Rubbermaid track shelving and quite honestly I think it's darn near close to the Elfa sale at Container store.

Just upload to a photobucket account and have the settings for 640 x 480 (?) large image. I know it's 640 I just can't remember what the other number is.

Phase 1 is complete now if my lazy bum of a husband will just get out of bed....... He has about 5 mins and I'm starting whether he likes it or not. Unfortunately grooming is only 1 time a week due to the lack of snow.
He just crawled out.
off to work. If I don't come out in 4 hours send in the dogs please.

Phase 2 and 3 are complete. 3 I have a bit a left since the closet got burried in the moveing out of things. Nothing will come back in with out being sorted and Having a specific home.
Boys are rotating out for help. I have L for the first half and E will help his dad stack the extra sugar wood. then after lunch they will switch.

don't need a nap yet but this next phase will be the worst. I'm also going to be organizing his desk as I go.:eek: you all saw how much of a mess that and the book case are.

Y'all inspired me and last night I started to organize my pictures - that was a job! I'm not completely done, but I got a lot further than I thought I would for the first time through and I'm hoping to do more this weekend. It will be so nice to have them all organized so I'm not looking through 10 places for a picture or finishing a book and then finding a dozen pictures I meant to use!

Christy - Good luck with all that work this weekend!

Alright, Christy has already started and now its time for everyone else. This week, we stop thinking about what we want and need to do to our space and begin actually doing stuff. This week, also starts how "big" you are going to go.

We're cleaning stuff up and moving things out. If you are super committed, start gathering up some boxes, baskets and anything else you can use to start separating your supplies. All of it. While you are going through your stuff, purge what you know you won't use, or what is broken, etc. WookieMouse suggests taking those boxes completely out of the space, and not letting them back in the room until they are organized. I'm guessing, most of you don't have the space to do that, so just work on getting everything corralled, and the surfaces in your space clean.

If you aren't sure how far you are going to get, or maybe you don't have as much to tackle since you did well last year. You are going to gather up just a couple of categories. I think I am going to do the weekly tasks, in the same order as on the WookieMouse blog. So next week, will be Paper, and after that Scraps. So gather up just those things. Alternatively, you can gather up your biggest problem area and do "Independent Study." WookieMouse's blog can be a resource for you, but I may not be talking about the thing you are working on at the same time you are working on it.

And a challenge for both the fast and slow tracks...we must learn to Respect Our Space.

First thing, remove everything from your area that DOES NOT BELONG THERE. Why is it that all the junk ends up in your space, and not with DH's stuff or in the kids' space? Well, they KNOW their space is THEIR space, and BAD things will end up happening to things that they don't want there. The same should be the case with YOUR space. Things other people try and put there should disappear, or break etc. Then they will stop congregating there. If you're the reason things end up in your space, you are going to need to come up with another place: basement, laundry room, kitchen, a basket in the living room. Start thinking of your space, as you would DH or DS/DD's space. "Things go there to die."

Here's the order WookieMouse tackled things

Paper
Scraps
Photos (print and digital)
Ideas
Projects, Incomplete Pages and Kits
Embellishments
Alphas
Non-Alpha Stickers and Rub-ons
Ribbon, Thread and Fibers
Stamps
Crop Supplies/Swap Supplies
Ink, Ink Pads and Embossing
Paints and Glitter and Stickles
Punches
Tools and Adhesive
Chipboard
Die Cuts
Pens and Pencils
Dies for Die Cutting Machines
Templates
Memorabilia
Negatives
New Items and Keeping it Neat
Fonts
Cards and Card-Making Supplies
Room and Space Decor

Here's the link to where we are in WookieMouse's Challenge: Week 3 - Clean Slate.

http://wookiemouse.blogspot.com/2009/06/organize-your-stuff-challenge-week-3_08.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter