Orange County might have to pay off RCID debts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It definitely doesn’t sound true. I can’t think of any reason why Florida “can’t” dissolve RCID, but I could see ways they can’t stop counties from picking up some slack without Disney compromising some of the aspects of RCID. Also I see ways that Disney could probably make it harder on the state through law suits, ultimately I think most of us know very little will change and RDIC will still be around with a few perks taken away.

There are a lot of moving parts here, including existing law on the dissolution of special districts, the "notwithstanding" language in the bill to dissolve these older special districts to bypass existing law, the state pledge specified in the enabling law for RCID, the Contract Clause of the US Constitution (and the Florida Constitution equivalent), etc. There are also two county governments and even two city governments that will be far more difficult to dissolve than a special district. And even more except I'll leave that out.

For the most part, I would see an incentive to maintain as much of the status quo as possible.

Not specifically underwriting. Some have looked up state law on what happens and apparently it's supposed to revert to a county government obligation. The special district was one that essentially just taxed Disney. But if it reverts to the counties, they have to service it from the ad valorem taxes that everyone pays equally. So they could raise those taxes to cover it.

Effectively, Disney’s loss of control also hands it a $163 million per year tax break. If the entire state of Florida was responsible for covering the hole, each taxpayer would have to cough up roughly $7.50.​
******​
Salvaging the budgets won’t be pretty. State law prevents the counties from raising sales taxes or impact fees to cover the costs. They also must tax all areas of the county equally, meaning whatever they enact must apply to everyone.​
That leaves one avenue: property taxes, of which Orange County collects approximately $600 million per year right now.​
And a potential complicator is that different Florida law limits the amount property taxes may be raised in any given year. This may affect the source of revenue (and total revenue) available to the county.

I’m totally just stirring the pot here….
but assuming RCID dissolves ….
orange count can make world drive a toll road for busses
and tax Disney for the use of the road….
yes, im totally joking

yes, im totally joking
I’m down for all the theories. I’m usually not interested in politics but this is fascinating to me. I’ll go to Disney no matter what and they’ll be fine no matter what. But I really want to see how this ends up unfolding.

in all honest
I think this play out as a learning experience for mouse management
and in the end RCID has a few restriction placed on it , and life goes on…

nothing for people to freak out about…. But to quote Pete Mitchell “since I can shoot um, I might well have some fun with them”.

yes, im totally joking

In all seriiousness, tolls roads/bridges/etc. seem to be required to be established by some authority in Florida state law. Like the Central Florida Expressway Authority, which was established by state law and then added to by an additional state law.

https://www.cfxway.com/agency-information/agency-overview/about-cfx/

But regardless of all the stuff going down, The Walt Disney Company was happy to pay taxes to get these services. The creation of the Reedy Creek Improvement District was mostly definitely not a tax dodge like some seem to think it was.

The governors office whos up for re-election released a statement saying that the 2 page bill that was rushed through will create no new taxes for Floridians...then blames the media? Don't think I would bet on that. I don't think in the end much changes with Reedy Creek. Maybe Disney agrees not to build a nuclear facility and everyone walks away the winner. They looked at Reedy Creek a few times and decided to leave it alone before. I hope they leave it alone, Disney / Reedy Creek does a fantastic job taking care of the property without needing more government involvement to slow things down. I like less goverment.
A lot of camera time before the election.
I know this is a joke, but just in case anyone reading this thinks Disney can just build a nuclear reactor- no, they cannot, that is not how nuclear reactors work, and anyone who thinks it’s an east process has never dealt with the NRC.

(Sorry, this is just a knee-jerk reaction from someone who works in the nuclear field who got bombarded with “DISNEY CANT JUST BUILD A NUCLEAR REACTOR?” messages. And I am tired. Ha.)

I know this is a joke, but just in case anyone reading this thinks Disney can just build a nuclear reactor- no, they cannot, that is not how nuclear reactors work, and anyone who thinks it’s an east process has never dealt with the NRC.

(Sorry, this is just a knee-jerk reaction from someone who works in the nuclear field who got bombarded with “DISNEY CANT JUST BUILD A NUCLEAR REACTOR?” messages. And I am tired. Ha.)
I think the point about the reactor is Disney have the right circumvent the state and local review process and just call the NRC …. No public comment, no local permits Etc

not that Disney wouldn't hypothetical have to NRC approval ….

however, the bigger point is ….. for the next year at least, this is all just speculation by comfort room attorneys …..

just let this play out

And a potential complicator is that different Florida law limits the amount property taxes may be raised in any given year. This may affect the source of revenue (and total revenue) available to the county.

That's the thing. Unless they manage to reconstitute essentially the same district for taxing/roads/sewers/etc., it's going to be nearly impossible to unwind without putting it on the shoulders of the county taxpayers. And I think there's a strong incentive to find some way because Disney is willing to pay. They've always been willing to pay.

Last edited:
That's the thing. Unless they manage to reconstitute essentially the same district for taxing/roads/sewers/etc., it's going to be nearly impossible to unwind without putting it on the shoulders of the county taxpayers. And I think there's a strong incentive to find some way because Disney is willing to pay. They've always been willing to pay.
Not completely correct
i believe that law say property tax….

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter