Onsite vs Disney Springs with grandparents WWYD?

studiojmm

Mouseketeer
My daughter (12) and I are bringing my parents (nearly 80) to WDW Mon-Sat, Dec 9-14 (Sat is just a travel day since our flight is mid-morning). We initially booked a condo offsite and planned to rent a car (we have annual passes, so parking is free). I'm rethinking this.

I'm considering the following options:
  • No change. Offsite condo + car;
  • Pop Century, no car - was checking last week and stumbled upon two rooms with a good annual pass discount;
  • Disney Springs resort, no car - if there are any that make sense for reserving a single room.
Considerations:

Transportation - biggest one. Disney busses mean we can come and go from the park in pairs if DD wants to rope drop or stay late and my parents don't. We could add my mother as a driver on the rental car and Uber/Lyft if we split up, but we'd need to coordinate arrival to take advantage of AP free parking. No idea how much we'll do this. The trip is more about spending time with my parents than hitting the attractions so we might opt for keeping the same park schedule and using the pool more if we are back at the resort. Love the ease of Magic Express, not looking forward to experiencing Disney parking lots (never have, so maybe they aren't so bad but I'm generally a public transit person at home).

Space / comfort - 2nd biggest consideration. I'm not sure sharing a room with my parents for 5 nights is a good idea. That's why I've reserved two rooms at Pop (they aren't big). If we booked a place with only one room, in addition to enough space not to trip over each other, there would have to be other spaces to escape to - lounges or business centers where I could grab a morning coffee and hang out for a bit. B Resort advertises those kind of spaces...

"Kitchen" - DD and I are both vegetarian and tend to do a lot of packed lunches in the parks. We also tend to eat in the room in the morning (vegetarian friendly protein isn't common at restaurant breakfasts). We are then free to snack as we wish in the park and some days do a sit-down meal. This makes us happier from a health and budget perspective. My parents are actually not big eaters and might happily carry a sandwich in addition to eating a decent breakfast and dinner. A full kitchen is not necessary, but fridge + somewhere to heat stuff up is (microwave in dining hall is sufficient).

60 day FP+ - meh? We just came back from 6 days onsite and didn't do FOP or SDD because my DD didn't care enough to bother. We could have done either at rope drop. We even had and cancelled a FP+ for FOP because we didn't want to stay at AK that afternoon. I like FOP and it might be fun for my mom. I think she'd also enjoy SDMT, but it's not a deal breaker if we don't do it. However, we tend to travel off-peak (touring plans rated several of our park days as 1 or 2 on crowd level) and can do everything we care about without much fuss. We've been in December before, but this time we are going slightly closer to the holidays. TP is predicting crowd levels of 4-7 for this trip, which is still pretty moderate.

Cost - Pop will cost us quite a bit more than the condo + car because of the 2nd room (it's the same or slightly cheaper with only 1 room). Pop also means spending money on coffee/soda since I do not care for the results of the Pop coffee makers (we will not be getting a dining plan). The condo will charge us $6 per day for every device we connect to the wifi after the first two (any party with 4 adults travel with only two wifi devices anymore?).

Thoughts? Feedback on B Resort or recommendations for DS hotels with these considerations in mind? Thanks.

Where is the condo? Understanding the distance from the condo to the parks should also be considered. If you will be sitting in traffic 30+ minutes each way that could be a deal breaker.

FWIW.. Disney transportation is not without it's own set of issues. Plenty of wait time, overcrowded buses and diesel fumes are fun.

Where is the condo? Understanding the distance from the condo to the parks should also be considered. If you will be sitting in traffic 30+ minutes each way that could be a deal breaker.

FWIW.. Disney transportation is not without it's own set of issues. Plenty of wait time, overcrowded buses and diesel fumes are fun.
The condo is just off property to the south. Google claims 11-15 min to the various parking lots. We've actually stayed there before (it's fine, but I was not blown away and I'm annoyed about the WIFI fees on top of a $22 per night resort fee).

Being a grandparent I would like to respond:)
First of all, are the grandparents in good physical condition. I know there are a lot of older people who run marathons, etc. But WDW is a whole different animal, with average daily miles of around 10 or 8 per day?
There is the Disney bubble to consider. Have they ever stayed onsite to experience this?
I would opt for onsite if it were up to me. It's easier on the physical aspect with all the walking involved. The bubble is there. It is nice to walk out of your room to the resort restaurant or QS and eat a quick breakfast, then over to the bus stop. Less riding from the condo, parking, tram to the TTC, thru TCC (or some variation of), then a walk to the parks.
Just my opinion from a grandparents point of view. I have mobility issues due to older age myself (which most older people have such as stiff joints, pain, etc), and I appreciate being onsite. I think it is very rare indeed to find an older person who does not have the signs of aging taking effect on their bodies. Wish it were not true:)

Hmmm ... this is a tough one. I would probably go with staying onsite for the ease of your parents. I know that makes it more difficult for you to eat (I understand, my DD is a vegetarian) but I think that your parents needs are paramount.

I might also suggest maybe getting the DxDDP for one room. You would get 2 refillable mugs plus 6 table service credits and 4 snacks per day that you can share between the 2 rooms.

I might also suggest maybe getting the DxDDP for one room. You would get 2 refillable mugs plus 6 table service credits and 4 snacks per day that you can share between the 2 rooms.
That's an interesting idea. We will do several table service meals but we generally don't go for the dining plan. Can any of the 4 of use the DDP meals regardless? That would surprise me.

That's an interesting idea. We will do several table service meals but we generally don't go for the dining plan. Can any of the 4 of use the DDP meals regardless? That would surprise me.
Yup! Read more here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/2...o-share-post-your-actual-experiences.3727863/

Added bonus, the DxDDP includes appetizer, entree and dessert. It's pricey @ $116.25 per person per day ($232.50 per day) but it comes out to be about $35 per credit. Depending on your planned meals, you may come out ahead.

Yup! Read more here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/2...o-share-post-your-actual-experiences.3727863/

Added bonus, the DxDDP includes appetizer, entree and dessert. It's pricey @ $116.25 per person per day ($232.50 per day) but it comes out to be about $35 per credit. Depending on your planned meals, you may come out ahead.
So, I read the thread and sharing dining credits with someone who isn’t on the dining plan seems to be a giant NO. Am I missing something?

So, I read the thread and sharing dining credits with someone who isn’t on the dining plan seems to be a giant NO. Am I missing something?
Yes, I was missing 18 more pages of replies. Not sure I’ll feel totally comfortable unless I call and ask guest services, but I have to call to add the dining plan anyway.

Yes, I was missing 18 more pages of replies. Not sure I’ll feel totally comfortable unless I call and ask guest services, but I have to call to add the dining plan anyway.
I personally did it last August at Spice Road and California Grill.

(vegetarian friendly protein isn't common at restaurant breakfasts).
I understand this was a minor point in your post, but they have recently added a lot of plant based-menu items all over WDW, so you might find that vegetarian protein is more common than it used to be.... although I don't know specifically how much of it may have been added to breakfast menus.

Have you considered a two bedroom DVC resort and rent points?

Interestingly, after doing some draft touring plans, I might have circled back around to staying off site with a car (yes, Skyliner potentially being down again my have pushed me over the edge).

My parents actually have no mobility issues. They've spent the last month in Germany visiting my brother and his family and they've gone hiking through gorges, up mountains (with the help of trams and such), all over little towns, on every possible form of transit . . . I think they will be fine. We might not do the kind of half-marathon days my daughter and I do on our own* but I think they will be fine with walking and car + parking shuttle, monorail, boat, etc transfers (actually, the more forms of transportation we do, the happier my father will be - so bummed that railroad won't be up for him).

This trip is much more about spending time with my parents and showing them WDW than maximizing time in the parks. This is an annual pass year for us (possibly the only one we will do) so DD and I will be back in the spring - no FOMO about attractions. I think we'll be way more comfortable hanging out during down time in an apartment with a living room and kitchen than we will in Pop Century rooms (even if we drag the chairs from adjoining rooms into one of them to sit around a table) or the dining hall.

I also think that if we stay on site we will spend A LOT more on food than we would offsite. Since we don't have a comfortable dining space in the room, we'll probably opt for table service meals for that. Lots of table service = $$$. If we stay offsite, we'll still probably have at least one meal/day at the parks + snacks, but have the option of eating at offsite restaurants or cooking, and we'll more likely cobble together QS meals that suit individuals than try to find a single restaurant we can all agree upon.

Obviously, I'm not that compelled by the bubble and staying off site will cost us about half of staying at Pop

What I do think is we will switch resorts. We have a reservation at Mystic Dunes by Diamond and I'm going to let that go. It's a golf resort and everything is really spread out. The apartments are nice, but the other amenities are nothing special (if you don't golf). I'm looking at Grand Villa's by Diamond, which is far more compact, so no matter what apartment we have, we should be right near the pool, reception, shop, etc. It's probably slightly more travel time - by about 5 min - but take away waiting for busses and we'll probably still be pretty even on that front. (I did consider Disney Springs resorts for the 60 day FP+ but don't feel that's worth the cost differential.)

Thanks for the input and feel free to add more :)

*Last trip we did a big MK day that included completing the entire pirate treasure quest - all 5 maps, which means criss-crossing Adventureland repeatedly - Jack Sparrow turned up and did the last clue of the last map with us, it was epic

We have stayed many times at the Windsor Hills condos. Travel time into each park (except MK) is faster than onsite resorts. Less walking than any of our on-site stays, and $12 Lyft if we decide to split up. Very comfortable 3 bed/2 bath condos for under $100/nt. Amazing pool and resort amenities too! That would be my choice for your situation.

We have stayed many times at the Windsor Hills condos. Travel time into each park (except MK) is faster than onsite resorts. Less walking than any of our on-site stays, and $12 Lyft if we decide to split up. Very comfortable 3 bed/2 bath condos for under $100/nt. Amazing pool and resort amenities too! That would be my choice for your situation.
Thank YOU! Those look great. My daughter already found one that got the response "book it! book it now!" and I've reached out to a couple of owners.

Just let go of our Pop Century reservations for 12/9-12/14 - standard room with annual pass discount, in case anyone wants to jump on it. The resort is otherwise sold out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter