One night at Aulani....

I’m going to Hawaii with my family of four for the first time as a HS graduation gift for our son. My kids will be 18 and 15.

We are all Disney fans. And immersion is the reason. Aulani appears to be a terrific example of that - in the most authentic and relaxing way possible.

My kids are not too cool to hug a character but will prefer the chill vibe, getting specialty coffee drinks, reading a book, snorkeling, Paddleboarding, swimming, sunbathing and spa time.

We are planning 2 nights in Waikiki at Embassy Suites - because of flight cancellations our current flights cost 1.5 x original cost so we needed to cut costs by reducing Aulani nights. And 5 nights are at Aulani in 1BR Oceanview at rack rate.

We are doing more SE Island outings during those two Waikiki days: surf lessons, Pearl Harbor, Pali Lookout, Lanikai Beach, China Walls, Swap Meet, Leonard’s and Dukes.

Then a North Shore self guided loop tour from Aulani with a couple resort/spa days, and we still have open time for more resort time or North shore or Hanauma Bay or exploring more of the west side. We will see what happens.

I think knowing your family’s tastes and setting expectations is key. We all appreciate and value Disney service and immersion.

If that just doesn’t matter to some then it may not be worth it. I certainly know many friends and family for whom that’s the case.

And I believe with teens, if you expect eye rolling and boredom sometimes that’s exactly what you will get.

No, I'm paying a lot extra because the resort looks like this.

View attachment 678963

And not like this.

View attachment 678964

When I go to Hawaii, it's not to immerse myself in urban poverty and rectangular high-rises. I can do that in Miami (with a lot less urban poverty), and my kiester thanks me for the 3 hour flight rather than the 11 hour flight.

"Amenities" never factor into it for a single second. It's a look/feel/immersion thing. It's not a math problem, it's a psychology problem. I don't care if some resort on Waikiki beach has higher thread count sheets of a Michelin-star chef.
Yup - I fully understand your view. Everyone has different priorities and values. I was just understanding one poster’s view that they had different priorities because their two teens didn’t really appreciate/prioritize the ambiance that you appreciate. Not sure why some people are so closed minded (my point of view or it’s wrong!).

BTW - your picture scenario is a bit loaded…. One is the view out to the ocean, and the other the view into the land…. A similar view from a room at HHV would look better…. Not as good as Aulani, but better than that. 😉

(I know this from first hand experience… I lived in the tower on the far left, before they converted it to a time share 🙂)

Attachments

• B9A86E1B-72D1-4BBC-8078-A9CE64F24F43.jpeg
    B9A86E1B-72D1-4BBC-8078-A9CE64F24F43.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 7
Here is why this makes zero sense. What does the amount of money that you are paying have to do with whether or not you leave the hotel to do something? Nobody every thinks that way at any other hotel on the planet, other then Aulani. If you are paying an arm and a leg in a hotel in Paris, are you just not going to go see the Eiffel Tower because your hotel was expensive? People pay the same amount at the deluxe hotels at WDW, and not one person tells them to "just stay at a cheaper hotel" or "you paid so much money, don't leave the resort", if they are planning on going to the parks. So why are you saying that specifically for Aulani only?
Maybe it’s semantics here, but I disagree. On trips where I KNOW I’m only sleeping and showering at a hotel, I’m willing to pay a LOT less than if I’m really planning to use the amenities. I mean I just got back from Maui and spent most of my nights at a Residence Inn not on the beach and just a plain old pool, because we were away from the hotel all day, every day. I moved to a resort for the last two days so I could lounge in the fancy pools and whatnot, once I was too tired to adventure anymore.

Comparing it to the theme parks is kind of apples to oranges, because I still pay a fortune to stay in the resort hotels and NOT use most of the amenities—except proximity to a certain park. If I still had to get in my car and drive a half hour to a park, it would be a clearer comparison. And yes, even then, I still try to plan in resort time JUST to use those other amenities I paid for. So yes, some people really DO think that way.

Maybe it’s semantics here, but I disagree. On trips where I KNOW I’m only sleeping and showering at a hotel, I’m willing to pay a LOT less than if I’m really planning to use the amenities.
Yeah but there's a huge gap between "don't rent a car and never leave the resort for an entire week" and "only sleep and shower at the hotel, nothing else."

I mean I just got back from Maui and spent most of my nights at a Residence Inn not on the beach and just a plain old pool, because we were away from the hotel all day, every day. I moved to a resort for the last two days so I could lounge in the fancy pools and whatnot, once I was too tired to adventure anymore.
Maybe maybe it's just me but I don't think this is typical. I don't think most people are 100% go-go-go away from the resort for some days and 100% sit-by-the-pool-and-don't-do-anything for other days. I might go on a hike for a few hours one morning, and then come back to an afternoon at the resort. Or spend a lazy morning at the resort before going off site for a nice dinner. I'm using the resort amenities pretty much every day, but I'm also leaving the resort and doing other things pretty much every day.

I never once said you shouldn’t leave a hotel because of what you paid. You’re working yourself up for the wrong reason. I did say that if you’re not going to use the amenities, there may be better options.

I also am not saying this is for Aulani only, and I never indicated that was the case. Some (fortunate) people don’t need to worry about resource allocation, but most of us do. When staying at a hotel, I’m sure 90% of the people consider “is it worth what I’m spending”

At Aulani, you’re paying a lot extra for the resort amenities. If you’re not spending as much time at the resort, the value proposition is smaller. So if you’re just using your hotel as a “base of operations” for exploring the island, why pay extra for the resort amenities, when you can stay somewhere with better service, or nicer restaurants, or an (arguably) better location, for the same amount or less?

You say no one does this at WDW, and that’s a silly argument. People all the time say “if you’re going to do a resort day, then...” Obviously the pools and water slides add value and cost to specific resorts, but if you’re not going to spend any time at the pool, it adds less value than a better location, nicer rooms, or better restaurants.

If none of this makes sense to you, then there’s really no need for further discussion.
My point is that you are still projecting the mentality that Aulani=high price, so that means that a person should not leave the resort and "enjoy the amenities that they are paying so much for". If someone can afford to stay at Aulani, why shouldn't they go out and tour the Island and still come back to a beautiful resort? Why go with a cheaper hotel just because you will not be spending 24/7 there? And you are acting as if it is all or nothing. There are plenty of people that split their time between going out and about and just staying at the resort. Or they just go out for a few hours, etc. Who wouldn't want to come back to Aulani after a day on the Island instead of a cheaper hotel in the city. Captain gave a great example of why someone would want to stay at Aulani, even if they spend time touring the Island. I think that you are the one that is intentionally not understanding what I am saying. I get what you are saying, I just don't agree with your mentality of staying at a cheaper hotel, just because you plan on doing other things. I want to come back to Aulani every night instead of a city hotel. That is what you are paying more for.

Yeah but there's a huge gap between "don't rent a car and never leave the resort for an entire week" and "only sleep and shower at the hotel, nothing else."

Maybe maybe it's just me but I don't think this is typical. I don't think most people are 100% go-go-go away from the resort for some days and 100% sit-by-the-pool-and-don't-do-anything for other days. I might go on a hike for a few hours one morning, and then come back to an afternoon at the resort. Or spend a lazy morning at the resort before going off site for a nice dinner. I'm using the resort amenities pretty much every day, but I'm also leaving the resort and doing other things pretty much every day.
I guess I just plan it that way to maximize my budget. When we stayed at Aulani, we did a mix of both, but I was staying with my Disney Rewards, not “real money.” And yes, it’s always great to come back to a beautiful resort. But I just choose to stretch my vacation dollars a little further by maximizing my perceived value. I mean, it gets dark at 7:15 in Hawaii anyway so there’s not much to do at any resort (the Aulani lazy river closes so early, it’s not like I could even use that). Plus when you hike or snorkel all day, by the time everyone is fed and showered, its time for bed anyway! We were in bed a little after 9 every night this trip LOL So just saying it might not be typical, but some folks DO think of that.

If I only had one night at Aulani, I would stay on property and sit in the lazy river for 7-8 laps. Go down the 2 slides a couple times. Have a few shaved ice's. Maybe go across the street to the Island Market for food from the deli. I'd also sign up for ukulele classes and whatever else they have going in the Pau Hana room. Throw in a walk along the lagoons in the evening and that should about fill a day.
When the locals go to Aulani for vacations, I'm happy to do as the locals do.

Anyone have an idea of best or cheapest way ( Uber ?) to get from the cruise port to Aulani?

thanks !

If I only had one night at Aulani, I would stay on property and sit in the lazy river for 7-8 laps. Go down the 2 slides a couple times. Have a few shaved ice's. Maybe go across the street to the Island Market for food from the deli. I'd also sign up for ukulele classes and whatever else they have going in the Pau Hana room. Throw in a walk along the lagoons in the evening and that should about fill a day.
When the locals go to Aulani for vacations, I'm happy to do as the locals do.
This is the best advice offered so far.

Anyone have an idea of best or cheapest way ( Uber ?) to get from the cruise port to Aulani?

thanks !
Uber or Taxi. There really isn't another way. The cruise ships use a dock that is close to Waikiki.

There’s an Enterprise car rental right outside the port. Not sure where you could drop it near Aulani if you don’t want it the whole time. But those folks were SUPER nice, so you might call that specific location and ask about that if you’re interested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter