One day visit to Sequoia National Forest/Park

BOTL76

Mouseketeer
Greetings Disney Fans.
My family has booked a trip to California for this upcoming December (2nd week). We have Disneyland, California Adventure and Universal Studios planned as part of that trip.
With that we have at least a 2 day window and my DW is very interested to possibly drive up to Sequoia National Park/Forest.
So far I have researched they are indeed two different locations and while have some similarities there are some differences between the two locations.
I was curious if there are any threads already on here that discuss the differences and pros and cons of each?
A bit more about us:
Travel party of 4 (DW, DD12, DD9 and myself)
we love to hike and looking for a day hike option to see/visit this area, and as my DD9 puts it see/explore the "HUGE TREES"
From what i have seen it is recommended to stay around Visalia area that won't be too far a drive to visit Sequoia?
Again we are prepared to drive up near the area, stay a night and do a day visit each day (2 total days).
Any feedback/recommendations is greatly appreciated!

I've never specifically visited the National Forest, so I can't compare that to the National Park which I visited in May 2021. We stayed in Three Rivers, which was minutes from the Ash Mountain entrance (but about 45 to the Giant Forest).

In my opinion, you'd have plenty to keep you busy just in the National Park (General Sherman and General Grant Trees for your DD!).

Things to consider:
-Weather. Plan for it to be cold due to elevation. I visited the week before Memorial Day and It was snowing on our arrival day in the Giant Forest. At a minimum, have hats, gloves and sturdy footwear (not tennis shoes) for that time of year.
-Driving in said weather. Snow chains may be required and/or certain roads may be closed. Generals Highway can close due to snow (connects Sequoia to King's Canyon). The road to Moro Rock and Crescent Meadow will close to vehicle traffic with snow and the stairway to climb Moro Rock itself will also be closed.
-My visit was before the KNP Complex fire burned the park last fall. Met some folks in Yosemite this May who had just come from Sequoia; they said there were areas where the destruction was obvious but that it didn't detract from their visit. It took awhile to get visitors back into the area this spring as the NPS was dealing with mudslides after the fire.

The majority of our hiking was out in King's Canyon and around Crescent Meadow.

My favorite California National Park that time of year is actually Death Valley :). I hear the Sierras are beautiful in winter, but I haven't made it up there yet for it!

I agree that you should see General Sherman and the surrounding grove! Honestly, any opportunity to drive through any redwood or sequoia groves is amazing!

I've never specifically visited the National Forest, so I can't compare that to the National Park which I visited in May 2021. We stayed in Three Rivers, which was minutes from the Ash Mountain entrance (but about 45 to the Giant Forest).

In my opinion, you'd have plenty to keep you busy just in the National Park (General Sherman and General Grant Trees for your DD!).

Almost all visitors to the area have been through Sequoia National Forest, whether it's the areas outside the Sequoia-Kings Canyon NP boundaries, the road that leads to the bulk Kings Canyon NP, or in the area of Generals Highway between Grant Grove and Sequoia NP. But most of it is called "Giant Sequoia National Monument". The only public fuel sales in the area are in Sequoia National Forest. There are a few interesting sites in that section, including Boyden Cave. It may not be that obvious that one is on Forest Service land though. There are a few signs, but otherwise it all kind of blends together.

sequoia-kings-canyon-detail-map.jpg

The US Forest Service section fairly well integrated, along with the Sequoia Natural History Association, which also provides personnel. On my visits, I've stayed at Forest Service campgrounds. I had an issue I wanted to as about at the Grant Grove Village visitor center, and the subject matter expert there was a Forest Service Ranger.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter