One day ... how would you plan it?

mchelle77

DIS Veteran
I need a little guidance. I booked a single day in WDW, got a 1 day park hopper pre-cruise and am going solo. Nothing new is at MK for me so I'm skipping it, and I won't get FPs until 30 days out because I'm off-site (couldn't pass up $25 per night through a friend at Hilton, or I'd be onsite)

With that info, anyone want to share how they would plan out their day if they were me? I'm thinking start at AK (8am-9pm), then on to DHS (9am-10pm, EMH AM), then end at Epcot with F&WF (9am-10pm). I haven't been since Pandora/Toy Story Land opened, but I have ZERO interest in any kiddie rides. (So, for example, the Saucer ride at Toy Story Land is a no-go for me) Star Wars will be open, but probably a zoo. I loved Illuminations, so I'm interested in what replaced it more than the Star Wars stuff at DHS.

Thanks!

Sounds like fun! First, when are you going? Is it the October trip in your signature? Second, are you focusing on Pandora in AK and TSL in HS? What other things do you hope to do in each park?

I'd pick two parks. Three and you will spend most of the day in transit. We're doing half HS/half Epcot on our one day hopper post-cruise, but if you haven't been to Pandora, I would do AK/Epcot and skip HS since you say you aren't planning to do Galaxy Edge, and Toy Story Land can't hold a candle to Pandora.

Given your preferences, I would start the day at AK through lunch at Satu'Li, then head to EPCOT for the rest of the day and see the new evening program.

When you are done with your FP at AK, I would see if there are any FP available at HS and then head there if you are able to snag anything worthwhile. RNRC has a single rider line, but it's not always fast I've heard. If everything is gone at HS I would just head to Epcot unless you really want to walk around SWGE. Getting to the World Showcase is so easy from HS that I might consider doing that just to walk around HS.

I'd pick two parks. Three and you will spend most of the day in transit. We're doing half HS/half Epcot on our one day hopper post-cruise, but if you haven't been to Pandora, I would do AK/Epcot and skip HS since you say you aren't planning to do Galaxy Edge, and Toy Story Land can't hold a candle to Pandora.
Not really. I've done a four park day twice now, and it's surprising how much you can get done. Three parks sounds downright reasonable to me. You just have to set your priorities and have realistic expectations, same as any other day spent at WDW.

When you are done with your FP at AK, I would see if there are any FP available at HS and then head there if you are able to snag anything worthwhile. RNRC has a single rider line, but it's not always fast I've heard. If everything is gone at HS I would just head to Epcot unless you really want to walk around SWGE. Getting to the World Showcase is so easy from HS that I might consider doing that just to walk around HS.
And this is part of why--it's only a 20 minute walk from DHS to Epcot (I think it takes about the same time to ride one of the boats, but I never have the patience to wait for one!). AK is the only outlier park where your only transit option is a bus, and since AK is on the itinerary regardless, adding DHS isn't a huge deal. I do like this advice, though; if your heart isn't set on SWGE or Andy's Backyard, think about what you really want to get out of a visit at DHS and be prepared to make that decision on the fly.

Also, it occurs to me that if you do want to check out SWGE, the easiest way to ensure you can get access midday is to make a reservation at Oga's Cantina, either ahead of time or last minute that morning if you can snag one. They'll let you into the land an hour ahead of your reservation, even if they've otherwise closed down entry to new arrivals. From the menus posted it looks like the drinks are in the $15 range, so if you're at all interested it's a relatively low-cost way to guarantee that you at least see part of the land, even if all you do is have a drink and then leave again.

I think you can do 3 parks if you are really focused. If you can't get a FP for FOP then plan for RD. I'd get to the park an hour prior and stage yourself as close as possible to that part of the park. You'll still have some wait up should be under and hour. Then I like your plan to head over to HS. If you can make an ADR for Oga's then you can get in and see at least a bit of GE and check. out TSL. TSL is a small area and felt a bit chaotic when we were there. Then you can either walk or boat over to EP and check out the World Showcase. It'll be a full day but it is doable.

I think you can do 3 parks if you are really focused. If you can't get a FP for FOP then plan for RD. I'd get to the park an hour prior and stage yourself as close as possible to that part of the park. You'll still have some wait up should be under and hour. Then I like your plan to head over to HS. If you can make an ADR for Oga's then you can get in and see at least a bit of GE and check. out TSL. TSL is a small area and felt a bit chaotic when we were there. Then you can either walk or boat over to EP and check out the World Showcase. It'll be a full day but it is doable.

Yes, I'm definitely planning on hitting AK at RD. And one thing I guess I should share is that I am NOT aiming to "do it all". I'd like to do a few of the newer things, if I can, and a few old favorites (R&RC & ToT at DHS, EE at AK, F&WF and the nighttime show at Epcot) So I'm 100% sure I can do all three. I just need to know how/what to prioritize.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm definitely planning on hitting AK at RD. And one thing I guess I should share is that I am NOT aiming to "do it all". I'd like to do a few of the newer things, if I can, and a few old favorites (R&RC & ToT at DHS, EE at AK, F&WF and the nighttime show at Epcot) So I'm 100% sure I can do all three. I just need to know how/what to prioritize.
Honestly, it sounds to me like you're already on track and making good plans! I see two strategies for FP+; either might be difficult with the 30 day limitation but if you keep checking you might be surprised what you can get. I'd either get a FP+ for one of the rides in Pandora as early as you can get it in the morning or get a FP+ for a top-priority ride in DHS--and I'd lean toward the first option, personally. When I did a four-park day in 2018 with similar goals, I was able to get a FP+ for Na'vi River Journey at less than 30 days out, so I rope-dropped FoP and then strolled onto NRJ less than an hour later. Even better if you can snag FoP FP+ and rope-drop NRJ, since NRJ sees lower rope drop lines. EE single rider shouldn't be bad in the morning, so I wouldn't even worry about it. The one word of caution I'll drop in here is to check the FP+ tiers and plan accordingly, knowing that you can't get a second tier 1 FP+ until you've burned through your first three FP+ of the day (apparently even if you didn't pre-book all three of them!). NRJ and FoP are both tier 1, so know as soon as you snag one that you're committing to doing the other at RD. I didn't realize that when I went and grabbed up the first NRJ FP+ I saw, not realizing that it prevented me from seeing any FoP options that might have popped up otherwise. NRJ seems to come available more frequently. If you can, try to burn through all three FP+ at your first park so the tier limitations don't limit you later in the day.

Then it's just hitting refresh on the FP+ reservation system in MDE during the time you're there to get more FP+ throughout the day. I was able to get ToT while on the bus from AK to DHS and it was timed so well that I literally walked straight to the ride and into the FP line as soon as I reached the park. Just keep checking and things will pop up, especially for a solo traveler. When I've done four parks in a day I just have a general idea of when I need to leave each park in order to stay reasonably on schedule, and I have a cutoff point where I'm willing to just give up and move on if I'm not getting FP+ for a particular attraction.

Honestly if I were in your shoes I'd spend $19.95 for RideMax (good for a year), and put in your times at each park, and the rides/attractions you want. Add in travel time between the parks. Their itineraries have always been spot-on for us.

We were not that impressed with the new Toy Story land so I don't think you'd miss much by skipping it all together. Star Wars might be a zoo.

FOP and Pandora in AK were more impressive than Toy Story Land, and you already have that on your agenda. If you are there around lunch, the protein bowls at Satu'li Canteen are excellent. I would head over to Epcot after you've wrapped up everything you want to see/do at AK and finish your day off there. Plenty of great dinner options around there.

Of course, you could head to HS after AK and if things are just too nutso there, just do a leisurely walk or take the Friendship boat over to EP

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!