On wait list with a rental company... how long?

MegEliz

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone!
Not new to Disney, but new to renting DVC points. I've been in contact with Daves to rent points for a large group of us. We are looking for 3 studio villas at Kidani ( 6 adults and 2 children) There is availability at the resort, but not enough points at the moment and so we are going to be put on a wait list.
Anyone have any experience with how long this may take? I'm really hoping we can rent points because with so many of the moderates being under construction right now, we are tight on options. :(
TIA!

You should have good success when the 7-month window opens. Outside of 7 months, there is no reason for AKV owners to rent their points with David's since they are not paid a premium for the home resort booking window. If you are more than 7 months out, ONLY owners of AKV can book there so you would have to have an AKV owner looking to rent their points. At 7 months, ANY owner of ANY resort can book at AKV so there should be plenty of points available for your reservations.

You should have good success when the 7-month window opens. Outside of 7 months, there is no reason for AKV owners to rent their points with David's since they are not paid a premium for the home resort booking window. If you are more than 7 months out, ONLY owners of AKV can book there so you would have to have an AKV owner looking to rent their points. At 7 months, ANY owner of ANY resort can book at AKV so there should be plenty of points available for your reservations.
Ok great! Thanks!

Wanting multiple units is also a potential issues. Brokers generally want the entire booking to be made by a single member in these cases, because no one can see how many units are available at a time when booking, and if they split it up it can create issues. So they need a large number of points, whether now or home resort.

Brokers are overwhelmed with requests right now, and more people want to book than owners want to rent points. I would have a backup plan.

Honestly all that anyone can do here is to guess. David's would be the ones to give you some sort of estimate that would be the most valid. They of course have to wait for owners too but they'll know what sort of trends they have had. Afaik they are not big on taking bookings if they don't think they can fill them.

Wanting multiple units is also a potential issues. Brokers generally want the entire booking to be made by a single member in these cases, because no one can see how many units are available at a time when booking, and if they split it up it can create issues. So they need a large number of points, whether now or home resort.

Brokers are overwhelmed with requests right now, and more people want to book than owners want to rent points. I would have a backup plan.

The actually wanted us to book them all with separate reservation requests, so we would have separate confirmation numbers. They don't have an idea per-sae on how long the wait could be, but yes in the meantime we will make other plans (granted they are refundable) and hope for the best.

The actually wanted us to book them all with separate reservation requests, so we would have separate confirmation numbers. They don't have an idea per-sae on how long the wait could be, but yes in the meantime we will make other plans (granted they are refundable) and hope for the best.
The wish for multiples remains an issue, because when we check availability, we can't see "there are 3 available for those dates." We can just see that at least one is available. So it may come down to it that when they try to book, they'll find they can't get all you requested.

If you do a trip like this often, like 1 every 3 years, it may be time to look at buying some resale points.

A previous thread did a nice job two years ago tracking DVC availability by resort from 11 months out all the way down to one month, which may help you visualize how likely what you want is available or not:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-some-1-bedrooms-vgc-update-10-21-15.3419112/

Many resorts have availability 7 months out, but the popular resorts and lower priced villas seem to go quickly, especially for particular weeks throughout the year. And then you have to find someone with enough points, which may be challenging for such a large request given how much points are in demand.

My family rented for the first time in January for a December stay at BRV through an agency, putting our request in for a studio right at the 11-month mark, where the booking patterns showed our location as open to spotty for our dates in December 11 months out and completely gone by 9 months. Fortunately, it only took two weeks to match us with a DVC owner. If you believe those charts, we would have been completely out of luck if we waited until seven months out, so I'm glad we heeded their advice.

The wish for multiples remains an issue, because when we check availability, we can't see "there are 3 available for those dates." We can just see that at least one is available. So it may come down to it that when they try to book, they'll find they can't get all you requested.

Plus, since you want one confirmation, David will need to have one owner who wants to rent enough points that will cover your entire reservation. An owner who wants to rent out 100 points isn't going to do it. Its a little like waiting for a table for six at a restaurant. If the tables for two keep opening up, people who arrived later will get seated.

Another issue is the availability one - you are asking one owner to make three reservations - and there isn't anyway to tell if there is that much availability until you book it. If I have the 250 points (or whatever it is) you need to rent, its way easier for me to rent to someone who wants a two bedroom. I've rented my points through David before - you them them you have points available and you get an email that tells you when they have a possible match for that approximate quantity at that resort - if it isn't a reservation you want to bother with, you just don't answer until one comes along that you do. When I rented out my points, I passed on a number of people who wanted something that might be a bigger pain in the back end to book (like three studios) - and picked someone with a nice middle of September in a two bedroom eleven month out easy to book reservation. My points are BWV - I specifically avoided a Food and Wine booking for that September one because I didn't want to deal with any availability issues.

I waited with Davids a year ago- avai but not enough points and I it took a couple weeks but they do hustle. When I booked though, I had given the options of VGF, AKL, & BLT. They steered me towards VGF because they said (at that time) that they were having trouble filling all the AK requests and that the list for those wanted BLT was long so my best chance was VGF. (They make you pick your poison up front- no either ors). I took there advice and as I mentioned it was filled in a couple weeks. Their main competitor who I have used and like was unable to fill the request at all.

An owner can call and ask MS how many units of a particular type are available for your dates. Maybe consider listing an ad on here or looking at what people have as available to rent. You might find an owner with the number of points you want. Good luck!

An owner can call and ask MS how many units of a particular type are available for your dates. Maybe consider listing an ad on here or looking at what people have as available to rent. You might find an owner with the number of points you want. Good luck!
Requests are not allowed. Only ads offering points can be posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter