On Strike as of Today 5/28 at SWAN/DOLPHIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bravo, Corndog! I agree wholeheartedly about unions. Not only that, but they seem to be the "bad guys" more often than the institutions are. My father is in construction and refuses to work in Northern states, where unions are common. He and his employees have actually had attempts made on their lives, b/c the unions were irate that his company philosophy was to just get the job done in the quickest time possible. The unions often demand that their membrs only do a certain amount of work each day, so as to ensure that the workers will always have more work left to do. They then protect this philosophy by forming monopolies and making others look like the unprincipled ones for daring to attack the workers' right to work as slowly as possible for a maximum amount of pay.
And the other posts are indeed correct: "crossing the picket line" does ONLY refer to other workers, not to consumers.
If I were so concerned about making sure others get fair pay for their jobs, my first priority would be to worry about the teachers, not the hotel workers. Already, there is a dramatic teacher shortage, b/c of the long hours, tiring work, and poor compensation. Perhaps some of you who are e-mailing the S/D every day might want to consider putting a word in for those who are teaching your children, or take a look at what state salary rates are for teachers in your area. They are probably dramatically low for skilled laborers, as opposed to the mainly unskilled labor pool of the S/D workers. Priorities!!!
Cheers!
Heather P

Thanks Wdisneyaholic, Jen, Nancy, kitty...and Heather P.! The greatest thing we hve all learned after 9/11...is to "continue to live our lives, and enjoy them to the fullest." We have learned NOT to be intimidated, or live in fear...etc.

Therefore, GO to the WDW SWAN/DOLPHIN...have the time of your lives! It's what FREEDOMS are all about. The employees have the RIGHT to strike (God Bless America)...and we have the RIGHT to travel, patronize the S/D and have a GREAT TIME!:D

Oh, Heather P...don't get me started about the "U" thing! We could turn this thread around! I SO appreciate your clarification of the term "crossing the picket line" (just as I thought!). Also...I'll post a blue-streak when it comes to the issue of america's Teacher's & Nurses...the most "underpaid-overworked-underappreciated" group of skilled workers in the nation! Where would we be w/o them? After reading your post...I fully understand WHY my sister and her fellow nurses resist being "unionized" (they are the only hospital hold-outs in this city...catholic healthcare west, inc.). Verywell-written, clearly stated. Thank you. ;)

I disagree that the strikers want you to cross their picket lines. The point of a picket line is to disrupt business, forcing management to meet labor's demands. A picket line encorages patrons to show solidarity with workers by refusing to spend their money in an anti-labor business. When the management sees that business is down during a strike, it realizes that its patrons care about dignity for all workers and it is more likely to negotiate for an end to the strike. If management sees that its patrons continue to spend their money despite a picket line, it is more likely to refuse to negotiate.

My reservations for the Swan (10/25-10/29/02) will be cancelled if there is not a successful resolution to this dispute.

Incidentally, I am a registered nurse. RNs have been oppressed by hospital systems since the advent of the hospital. If ever a profession was in need of the protection afforded by a union, nursing is it.

Hey Dreamflight,

Maybe if everyone cancels their ressies we will have a better chance of getting an upgrade!!! Just trying to lighten things up.

DH and I have ressies at the Dolphin in early August. If the strike is still going on, I will NOT change my ressies. I love the Dolphin and have been planning on staying at the Dolphin. I will go and have a great trip! Yes, I will probably feel bad crossing their picket line, but I will still enjoy my trip. :)

Thanks for the great post corndog. All unions do is drive up the prices of everything that we the consumers buy whether it be food (thank you teamsters, meat cutter's etc) or a service such as a hotel room.

Heather P wrote:

>>Already, there is a dramatic teacher shortage, b/c of the long hours, tiring work, and poor compensation.<<
----------------------------------------------------------------

Heather,

Thanks for giving some of the reasons unions exist. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Dumbo

The point of a picket line is to disrupt business, forcing management to meet labor's demands.
Sounds like extortion to me...
A picket line encorages patrons to show solidarity with workers by refusing to spend their money in an anti-labor business.
So we as patrons should assume that a business is "anti-labor" simply because some union workers say they are?
BTW, I'm a teacher and as far as I'm concerned, there are no teacher's "unions" only teacher's political action committees, of which I want no part.

I find the whole comparison to teachers striking very interesting...It is illegal for teachers to strike. It is in violation of labor law.
I feel strongly about picketing as a form of free expression, but I also feel strongly about my vacations to WDW.
Finally, just have to say this...I think some opinions here are way over simplifying the functions of union (or organized labor). Very rarely are things in life "all bad" or "all good" for that matter.
BTW, the very reason many folks get those great rates at S/D is because they are members of unions!

we didn't even know there was a strike until someone asked us about it on the boat from Epcot--the level of service did not change one bit. we checked in on Monday (5/27) and checked out yesterday (5/31) :( we only noticed the picket lines yesterday--aparently they were much louder and bigger than they had been earlier in the week. we had no choice but to cross the line after going to breakfast and return to the hotel for our things.

someone mentioned they were surpried disney allowed the strikers. that didn't surprise me as much as the plane they allowed to fly over the area early in the week with the banner "stop worker abuse at the Swan and dolphin hotels" on the back of it....that did surprise us quite a bit.

I find the whole comparison to teachers striking very interesting... It is illegal for teachers to strike. It is in violation of labor law.
I think it depends on where you live, as to whether it's illegal or the law is enforced. When I was school age in Louisiana (not that long ago - late 80's and early 90's), the teachers spent a good 2 months of the school year on strike. Completely disrupted the students' learning, of course.
Long hours and low wages are not a reason for teachers to strike - I think that right now the teachers are voting with their feet, by leaving the profession. Schools are about to hit a real crunch in 2004, with the new No Child Left Behind mandate, which pretty much eliminates the use of lateral entry teachers who are right now helping to plug the hole in the dam. Many states are already catching on and offering signing bonuses and higher salaries to teachers.
I am strongly against unions, b/c I feel that giving an organization that much power is extremely dangerous. I got an e-mail from US Airways about a month ago, stating that if they did not get a bail out package from the gov't and if they could not reach an agreement with their employees' unions, they will go bankrupt. Look at how much money pilots and flight attendants already make - flight attendants begin with payment twice as high as that of teachers where I work, and pilots go well into 6 figures. Yet, b/c their unions are on a power trip, my hard-earned vacation may be disrupted. I may have to now buy tickets at 2 or 3 times the price I had originally paid, or I may end up having to drive, thus drastically cutting into our honeymoon.
I just think it's dangerous to give any union as much power as they are currently taking, b/c it invariably leads to abuses. Sadly, so many people don't understand the situation, and feel that they are sticking up for "workers' rights" by supporting unions and strikes.
Cheers!
Heather P

Originally posted by wdisneyaholic
Hey Dreamflight,

Maybe if everyone cancels their ressies we will have a better chance of getting an upgrade!!! Just trying to lighten things up.

"Here...Here"! LOL Wdisneyaholic! :D In that case, I would like the Prez. suite, please?!

To all the posters on this thread: Thank you for your wonderful input, both Pro/Con. Your information is entertaining and enlightening. If you are planning to KEEP your ressies, I wish you a SPLENDID vacation/visit to the WDW Dolphin/Swan. If you are planning to CANCEL your ressies, I wish you the same...wherever you may choose to stay. Again, it's all about Personal choices & FREEDOMS...;)

Originally posted by hmp2z
I may have to now buy tickets at 2 or 3 times the price I had originally paid, or I may end up having to drive, thus drastically cutting into our honeymoon.

I certainly hope this does not happen to you, Heather. I wish you a Wonderful & memorable Honeymoon, one which is undisturbed by Labor disputes. Keep smiling, think happy thoughts...enjoy your wedding! :D :sunny: :wave:

SWAN/DOLPHIN Workers file complaint alleging intimidation
Seems this could wind up getting worse but hope not. Seems allegedly there has been attempts by management to get workers to sign forms of resignation. I have also read strikers on the picket line are having there pictures taken by management. The strikers have filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board about these alleged intimidations.

Just want to update from what I've been reading.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/cfb3/orl-union-053102.story

Tony - thanks for the update. It doesn't sound good, but then again nothing ever does on the news. I'm sick of the media and others (unions, lawyers, etc.). These days it always seems like there is someone blowing things out of proportion just to "sell" their side of the story or to get people to feel more sorry for them then is really necessary.

I'm not saying this isn't happening, I've just become very cynical (sp?) about the news these days. All I know for sure is that there is no way any of this is going to detract from my stay at the Dolphin.

The article that Tony references in his post says the hotel denies the charges made by the union. If the hotel tried to make the employees sign resignation forms- why can't they produce them to the NLRB.

ralphd:confused:

Personally, I believe that union leaders are the most notorious, rabbel-rousers on the face of the earth - - perhaps even worse than the media - Lol. Allegorical "flak" will be shot from both sides.

Photographing/videotaping is common practice during a work stoppage. The potential for sabotage to property and facilities is the biggest risk to business interruption.

On a positive note, it appears guests currently visiting these resorts haven't experienced any disruptions or reduction in services.

Let's hope there's a speedy resolution.

DH & I noticed last week at Epcot an airplane flying over with a banner strung out in the wind behind it. The banner read something to the effect of "S/D Unfair to Employees".

....I also have ressies for Swan for July, but unlike most will NOT cross their picket line. Shame on all of you teachers willing to enjoy the benefits of a union, but not support someone else's.(Sha-lyn) Are you really that ignorant to think that companies would lower prices if there were not union workers.....Everyone deserves a guaranteed work week and seniority benefits.....I'm sure many of you would not even be enjoying your time at Disney if it weren't for the salaries your union jobs provide. Is your selfishness really worth it?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter