Old Key West or Animal Kingdom Villas

borgthe

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
We have six people and are getting a 2BR unit. I can get either for the same price. Which would you pick and why?

We are going to celebrate my Mom's 87th birthday. It will be 5 adults and one 16 year old.

Thanks!

They're both excellent. If you're really wanting a resort you can make the most of it's def AKV. Your OKW villa may well have more actual square footage, but there are no elevators at OKW--you'll want to be sure to get a first floor room unless mom (and every other tired-out soul in your party) want to hoof it up some steps after a long day in the parks. OKW will be quieter and it has a very relaxing atmosphere.:earsboy:

Do you know if the AKL would be a "dedicated" 2 bedroom, or a lockoff? The lockoff would have a King size bed in one bedroom, and the 2nd bedroom would have a queen size bed and a sofa bed.
At OKW, you'd be guaranteed that the 2nd bedroom would have two "real" queen size bed (instead of a sofa bed.)

Also, if the AKL is at Kidani, you'd have 3 bathrooms, if it is at Jambo, you'd have two bathrooms. At OKW, you will have two bathrooms.

For me/my family, having more dedicated "real" beds would be more important than the extra bathroom, but I know that extra bathroom is important for a lot of people.

OKW villas are currently undergoing refurbishment, so depending on how soon this trip is, you're likely to get a newly renovated unit.

Making that assumption that mom would appreciate more resort time, I'd choose AKL because there would be so much for her to see and do at the resort and AKL is a unique experience.

AKV standard or savanna view? I’m not quite as old as your mom but I am one who can spend significant time sitting on the balcony drinking coffee or wine and watching animals (DH almost has to drag me away to the parks). OKW has lovely views too, but not as unique - golf course and woods. AKV Kidani will have 3 full bathrooms while OKW has only two, but OTOH OKW has 2 queen beds in 2nd bedroom while AKV has one queen plus a sleeper sofa. For dining AKL has Jiko, Boma & Sanaa, OKW has Olivia’s.

My personal preference would be AKL Kidani, savanna view.

Definitely Animal Kingdom. It is probably the most unique hotel I've ever stayed at. I'd highly recommend the savanna room over a standard though. It is really amazing going out there and seeing animals right outside.

If you are pricing a value 2BR at AKV, they can book up very quickly and can be difficult to get.

They are also smaller in size and do not have a sleeper chair.

I’m the odd one out, but I’d go with OKW. I love the atmosphere, you really feel like you’re in OKW. Olivia’s is great,very underrated IMO. Its near Disney Springs, the villas are roomier then the others, if you drive you can park right outside your villa for the most part. I stay here frequently (one of my home DVC resorts) and love it. I’ve also stayed at AKV, which is a beautiful resort but is so far from everything. And unless you have a savannah view, not worth it to me.

Are you looking at Kidani for AKV? They have the extra bathroom, which may be useful. Coincidently, the only 2 BRs we've stayed in were Kidani and OKW. Otherwise, I'm another odd one who prefers OKW, mostly because all of you can sit around the table on the porch and eat breakfast, or just talk. That porch set-up at OKW, the table, etc. really appeals to me.

AKV standard or savanna view? I’m not quite as old as your mom but I am one who can spend significant time sitting on the balcony drinking coffee or wine and watching animals (DH almost has to drag me away to the parks). OKW has lovely views too, but not as unique - golf course and woods. AKV Kidani will have 3 full bathrooms while OKW has only two, but OTOH OKW has 2 queen beds in 2nd bedroom while AKV has one queen plus a sleeper sofa. For dining AKL has Jiko, Boma & Sanaa, OKW has Olivia’s.

My personal preference would be AKL Kidani, savanna view.
The Jambo House two bedroom will always be a lockoff - combination of a studio and a one bedroom. So the second bedroom will always have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. Plus the master bathroom is not in the bedroom, but more like across the hall from the master bedroom.

Kidani Village will have both lockoffs and dedicated two bedroom villas. It will always have the twin sized sleeper chair in the living room (value one and two bedrooms at JH won't have the sleeper chair). None of them will have the murphy bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter