• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW or Kidani?

kmorlock

Our Happy Place
We are planning for next June for a week with a party of 6. It will be myself, DH, our DD(4) and DS plus his 2 friends in tow all age 16, almost 17. So, either 2 studios or 2 bedrooms? Then, trying to decide which resort keeping in mind we need to be careful with points. OKW gives us at least 3 actual beds, pull out and sleeper. DD usually uses a toddler bed in our room anyway. Kidani gives us 3 baths, same 2 real beds plus sleeper & chair. Love both resorts but, not sure which would work best for the older teens? Love the space at OKW but Kidani pool area might be better for DD. Suggestions or advice?

We are planning for next June for a week with a party of 6. It will be myself, DH, our DD(4) and DS plus his 2 friends in tow all age 16, almost 17. So, either 2 studios or 2 bedrooms? Then, trying to decide which resort keeping in mind we need to be careful with points. OKW gives us at least 3 actual beds, pull out and sleeper. DD usually uses a toddler bed in our room anyway. Kidani gives us 3 baths, same 2 real beds plus sleeper & chair. Love both resorts but, not sure which would work best for the older teens? Love the space at OKW but Kidani pool area might be better for DD. Suggestions or advice?
There are no connecting studios, so unless you’re willing to separate the two adults (each villa must have at least one person age 18+ registered in it) and have them down the hall or in a different area, 2 studios is out. The Kidani 2BR has 3 full baths, and with 6 guests, including 3 teens, even though all boys, that’s what I’d want.

We've stayed at both OKW and Kidani, in 2 Bedrooms at both. First, OKW; next trip Kidani. Then DS said "Next time I'd rather be back at OKW. We were an extended family of 6-2 grandparents, DS and DDIL, and 2 young DGDs.

I have 2 teenagers and we've stayed in both OKW and Kidani several times. Both kids, DS and DD, prefer OKW 2 bedroom for several reasons. One, we felt there is more space in the villa, just bigger square footage and didn't feel so cramped. Two, all AKL villas are quite a walk! I am sure you can make a reservation request to be closer to elevator or lobby but it was not located well near the pool, BBQ areas, sports courts, etc for the kids. Lastly, we like the golf course scenery and balcony to the animals. We all like to hang out on the balconies where we stay and feel that OKW provides more room to gather. It truly is a preference but my vote will be OKW!

I stayed in OKW with in-laws a bunch and I love it. Made Kidani our home resort because of savannahs. My thoughts vs OKW (and SSR) is always: if you’re willing to pay for Savannah view, Kidani. If not, one of the others. To me it’s just the one thing there that is like “wow” and waking up to that, drinking coffee while watching, kids’ reactions, etc…yeah. But the other resorts are probably laid out better, easier to get around, etc. But that’s just me obvi!

I have 2 teenagers and we've stayed in both OKW and Kidani several times. Both kids, DS and DD, prefer OKW 2 bedroom for several reasons. One, we felt there is more space in the villa, just bigger square footage and didn't feel so cramped. Two, all AKL villas are quite a walk! I am sure you can make a reservation request to be closer to elevator or lobby but it was not located well near the pool, BBQ areas, sports courts, etc for the kids. Lastly, we like the golf course scenery and balcony to the animals. We all like to hang out on the balconies where we stay and feel that OKW provides more room to gather. It truly is a preference but my vote will be OKW!
Thanks for this feedback!

We own at AKV but recently stayed in OKW for a short, last-minute trip. I agree that AKV's biggest settling point is savanna view, and that's why we purchased there. After staying in OKW (1-bedroom), I'd say the living space is indeed noticeably bigger, and the balcony is larger than AKV. The balcony at OKW was more square rather than AKV's long/skinny rectangle. So if spending time together on the balcony is desired, OKW wins. Even though AKV savanna balconies are great, it's hard to fit many people on them to have a conversation (since they're so skinny). Also, I think the balcony at OKW was screened in (we arrived late and left early, so I might be remembering incorrectly) and the balcony at AKV was certainly not; if you want to avoid bugs, the OKW screened porch (if I'm remembering right) wins. Either way, they're both great resorts, and I'd stay again at either. Hope you have a GREAT time wherever you go!

Correct, no screening. But there is a ceiling fan and light. The fan helps keep any bugs off the deck area.

Also, I forgot that, for our DGDs at least, after the first day, they were no longer impressed with the animals. Maybe it's their ages (4&7) so they have short attention spans. Me-I could spend days just sitting and watching the animals.

Me-I could spend days just sitting and watching the animals.
Me too. We had a few days at AKL last January, and it was too cold, windy and rainy to sit on the balcony. So I had to position the chair in the living room so I could sit and read and watch animals at the same time!

Me too. We had a few days at AKL last January, and it was too cold, windy and rainy to sit on the balcony. So I had to position the chair in the living room so I could sit and read and watch animals at the same time!
I did the same thing, but for an opposite reason-it was July. But I agree about how cold it was last January, at least when I was there. I was in AK, and escaped to the warmth of AKL because it was so cold and rainy.

I like Kidani for the extra bathroom. I'd gladly take that over the little bit of extra space at OKW, especially with 3 teens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter