OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Just booked a last minute trip at OKW for the first time. Where exactly does the boat depart for Disney Spring? Near the main building?

Yes. Papa's Den ( a furinshed waiting area) is next to the main check-in desks)
The boat loading area is right outside the doors from the Den at the end of the building.
Olivia's is also nearby.
Be aware of running times (posted there, or check with front desk). They don't usually start until mid-morning.
Also does not run during or after heavy rain, since elevated water level will prevent boat canopy from fitting under the bridges.

1st time in building 46 and really liking it. Quiet, great view of the river, and not a bad walk to the main pool.
Our first visit there (as non-members) was next door in Bldg 45. We liked it so much we became members before we went home.

You can catch any bus to the Hospitality House area. Disembark the bus and walk through the walkway between the check in area and Olivia's. The boat dock is right at the end of that walkway.

So just back from another wonderful trip. Had a great room in 46 that overlooked the river. Nice a quiet, beautiful sunrises, and easy walking. Received a call while there that they were doing walking tours of OKW and showcasing the beginning of the timeshare. We did not go. We did notice that our picture was taken down from the wall and no one could tell me where it went. :O( I looked in their photo albums but it was not there. Made me sad. No issues with our room...clean, stocked, and had a blender. Did notice that the waiter at the main pool was only available 1 day, that was too bad too, really liked that little addition.

Just booked our first DVC stay here! OKW is also our home resort, as we've stayed here twice already (both on cash reservations)

I do have a question though. So we did book a room that was an accessible Grand Villa (ended up with double the points we were expecting for this trip, so decided to splurge). Which area is this in? (As far as I can tell, we did not book hospitality house, but does the accessible option change that?)

TIA

Just booked our first DVC stay here! OKW is also our home resort, as we've stayed here twice already (both on cash reservations)

I do have a question though. So we did book a room that was an accessible Grand Villa (ended up with double the points we were expecting for this trip, so decided to splurge). Which area is this in? (As far as I can tell, we did not book hospitality house, but does the accessible option change that?)

TIA
HCA GVs are found only in Buildings 48 (ground level access to the first floor of the villa) and 63 (elevator access to the first floor of the GV). No OKW GVs have elevator access to the second floor of the villa. Below is a map of the resort. Buildings outlined in red and yellow have HCA GVs.

Enjoy your stay. OKW is our favorite resort.

GDUL OKW Map (1).jpg

HCA GVs are found only in Buildings 48 (ground level access to the first floor of the villa) and 63 (elevator access to the first floor of the GV). No OKW GVs have elevator access to the second floor of the villa. Below is a map of the resort. Buildings outlined in red and yellow have HCA GVs.

Enjoy your stay. OKW is our favorite resort.

View attachment 262844
Ok, thank you!

I do have another question. The option we have for the room is hearing accessible as well, and we do have two people that are deaf (myself and my twin). Do we have to do anything to set that up?

I can't actually answer the question...but Mom and I were put into a wheelchair room that I assume was also hearing accessible room (a studio). I noticed it had a doorbell button, which I assumed should have caused a light to blink inside, but as far as I could tell, it was not functioning. So be sure to ask about it at check-in.

Last edited:
Ok, thank you!

I do have another question. The option we have for the room is hearing accessible as well, and we do have two people that are deaf (myself and my twin). Do we have to do anything to set that up?

No experience but I think that it needs to be set up for you. I'd email MS and see what they have to say.

I'm sure this has been covered, but are there smoking areas near all of the buildings? The maps I've seen only show a few over the whole resort. Unfortunately, my husband is a smoker.

I'm sure this has been covered, but are there smoking areas near all of the buildings? The maps I've seen only show a few over the whole resort. Unfortunately, my husband is a smoker.
If you check the map in post #2487 above, it states there is a smoking area in front of each guest building. Some buildings are rather long, so if you are one end the smoking area might be at the other. The map shows the smoking areas at the pools and the hospitality house.

I'm very excited that in a week we will be going back to OKW! I haven't been there in at least 15 years. My parents bought DVC in its very first year when OKW was the only resort, though usually now when we travel we stay elsewhere. Looking forward to it!

Stayed at South Point area in May and loved it - the bus stop is the 2nd one so even with a scooter we never had a problem getting on a bus - even first thing in the morning - Turtle Pond got skipped at least once on our trip.
Why does Turtle Pond get skipped? I hear this often and I can remember waiting 40 minutes for a bus at rope drop time. Watched two or three buses for other parks stop while I waited for Epcot.

Two very quick questions:
1. Is there a vaccum in the room that I could use for vaccum storage bags? I'm thinking of using one of these to pack my own pillow as I sleep so much better.
2. When do the pools generally stay open until? I'd like to make some time to go swimming this trip and I hear the pools close earlier in the evening then they used to. Do the quiet pools stay open late enough that I might go swimming after the parks close?

Two very quick questions:
1. Is there a vaccum in the room that I could use for vaccum storage bags? I'm thinking of using one of these to pack my own pillow as I sleep so much better.
2. When do the pools generally stay open until? I'd like to make some time to go swimming this trip and I hear the pools close earlier in the evening then they used to. Do the quiet pools stay open late enough that I might go swimming after the parks close?

No, the vacuums cannot be used for vacuum storage bags. Get the type where you roll the air out instead of the ones you suck it out with a vacuum.
Pools usually close by 10 or 11PM. And they are all gated.

I have a Grand Villa near hospitality house reserved on points for Nov. 2017. I was told by DVC reservations CM that it would be in building 25. Apparently this building is where you are assigned if you succeed in getting a reservation for a grand Villa in the "hospitality house" category. I have a question regarding the size beds in the two bedrooms on the second floor. Some sources say 2 Queen beds in both bed rooms, some other sources say 2 Queens in one bedroom and 2 double beds in the second upstairs bed rooms. Can anyone who has stayed in a Grand Villa tell me which layout is correct? I am traveling with a large family group and knowing in advance would help us very much. I can't seem to locate an answer on Disney's Official website. Thanks very much.

I have a Grand Villa near hospitality house reserved on points for Nov. 2017. I was told by DVC reservations CM that it would be in building 25. Apparently this building is where you are assigned if you succeed in getting a reservation for a grand Villa in the "hospitality house" category. I have a question regarding the size beds in the two bedrooms on the second floor. Some sources say 2 Queen beds in both bed rooms, some other sources say 2 Queens in one bedroom and 2 double beds in the second upstairs bed rooms. Can anyone who has stayed in a Grand Villa tell me which layout is correct? I am traveling with a large family group and knowing in advance would help us very much. I can't seem to locate an answer on Disney's Official website. Thanks very much.
From the Member Service Web site:

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/destinations/list/florida/old-key-west-resort/points-rooms/

3-Bedroom Grand Villa – Near Hospitality House

1 king-size bed, 2 queen-size beds, 2 double-size beds, 1 queen-size sleeper sofa
Sleeps Up to 12

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!