• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Okay, it's May....when will ABD 2018 dates be available?!

I actually can tell you guys the timeframe for the next ABD release dates. It will be sometime between 23 - 28 May because that is when we'll be on our ABD NYC trip. That way we'll have to stress out about getting our reservations in for our next trip while trying to enjoy the trip we're on. Murphy's Law.

Add to that if they do announce an ABD Japan trip for 2018 my wife and I are going to have to go back into negotiation mode for picking a trip. That would be at the top of my to do list.

Cool. I'll mark it on my calendar. ;)

If ABD releases a Japan trip this year, we'll book as well. We were planning on doing it on our own next year, but we'd prefer ABD.

Japan is high on our list, too, but I think we'll still go with South Africa if that's the new release this year. I am really going to be torn if they have Argentina or Brazil (that was a destination mentioned on the ABD survey). I would LOVE to go back to South America!

We are hoping for South Africa with Victoria Falls included or as a trip extension for 2018. We were lucky enough to travel to Japan in 2015 and it is high on our list of places to return. Tokyo DisneySea is the most magical theme park we have ever been to and Japan was just a lovely country (safe, clean, and the people are so polite and helpful). I think ABD would be smart to add Japan since so many people are interested. Then, I may just have to consider that trip for 2019.

We are hoping for South Africa with Victoria Falls included or as a trip extension for 2018. We were lucky enough to travel to Japan in 2015 and it is high on our list of places to return. Tokyo DisneySea is the most magical theme park we have ever been to and Japan was just a lovely country (safe, clean, and the people are so polite and helpful). I think ABD would be smart to add Japan since so many people are interested. Then, I may just have to consider that trip for 2019.

We're heading to S. Africa in July, and we added Victoria Falls/Botswana on our own. Looking forward to it.

We're heading to S. Africa in July, and we added Victoria Falls/Botswana on our own. Looking forward to it.

I would love to see your itinerary. Where are you staying (which side, what hotel / lodge), what excursions are you doing?

We are for sure doing a helicopter tour over the falls, a visit to a local market, a visit to a local village and school and the Zambezi river sunset cruise. But that's all I have so far. Our lodge includes a lot of excursions at no additional charge so we will likely decide the rest when we get there.

Day 1) Arrive at the Victoria Falls Hotel (Zimbabwe Side). Sunset Cruise on the Zambezi Explorer
Day 2) Victoria Falls, Lookout Cafe for lunch, Helicopter over the Falls
Day 3) Chobe, Botswana day trip
Day 4) Fly out of Victoria Falls early afternoon.

We'll probably eat dinner at the Livingston Room at least once there. There's also the Boma dinner which seems popular, but I'm not sure if we're doing that. It's pretty touristy. Looks like an African version of a Luau. I found out though that the lodge Boma is located in was the inspiration for the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's where the imagineers stayed when at Victoria Falls.

Ditto @Cousin Orville. Would love to hear about your Victoria Falls/Botswana itinerary. We have been seriously considering Botswana as well as S. Africa and V. Falls.

Ditto @Cousin Orville. Would love to hear about your Victoria Falls/Botswana itinerary. We have been seriously considering Botswana as well as S. Africa and V. Falls.
I'm sure one could make a entire trip to Botswana, but we're just doing a day trip to Chobe National Park across the border. I think it takes a couple hours to get there. Then you go on a 3-4hr Game drive in the morning and 3-4hr River cruise in the afternoon. Something like that. When I was growing up there was a National Geographic cover with a Hippo and "Botswana". It's been on my bucket list ever since.

Day 1) Arrive at the Victoria Falls Hotel (Zimbabwe Side). Sunset Cruise on the Zambezi Explorer
Day 2) Victoria Falls, Lookout Cafe for lunch, Helicopter over the Falls
Day 3) Chobe, Botswana day trip
Day 4) Fly out of Victoria Falls early afternoon.

We'll probably eat dinner at the Livingston Room at least once there. There's also the Boma dinner which seems popular, but I'm not sure if we're doing that. It's pretty touristy. Looks like an African version of a Luau. I found out though that the lodge Boma is located in was the inspiration for the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's where the imagineers stayed when at Victoria Falls.

Sounds like a great itinerary! Looking forward to your trip report!

I would love to see the inspiration for Animal Kingdom Lodge (one of our favorite WDW resorts). Can I ask what your Chobe, Botswana day trip includes?

We are pretty set on London/Paris for 2018, but the one trip that could throw us would be if ABD added Iceland. Would also love Japan, but that would require some serious miles to get us there...

We are pretty set on London/Paris for 2018, but the one trip that could throw us would be if ABD added Iceland. Would also love Japan, but that would require some serious miles to get us there...
We are very interested in Iceland (seems to be a hot destination, sorry for pun) and also Japan ( depending on cost of course--would love to see Tokyo Disneyland!). Best guess on release date: Monday after Mother's Day.

the one trip that could throw us would be if ABD added Iceland.

We are very interested in Iceland (seems to be a hot destination, sorry for pun

I would love love love an Iceland trip!

It will be sometime between 23 - 28 May because that is when we'll be on our ABD NYC trip

Sorry, I'm guessing they'll send the email midnight May 17th, then book Adventures May 18th and general public May 19th. I'll be on the Fantasy and away from all internet then :rolleyes: Of course they'll have my dream itineraries of Croatia/Iceland/Poland/Russia (all in one trip) and it will sell out immediately. Or something like that...:)

How do ABD releases typically coordinate with DCL, if at all? Before? After? Anyone know if both have ever been released at the same time (seems that would be tough on TAs)?

Tell me about it. Makes a flight to Rome seem short. We're not sure what we're doing next summer/fall. Probably Japan. South America is a good possibility as well.

With move to west coast, suddenly asia, australia and Galapagos are so much easier makes me reconsider them. Trips to Europe take 16 plus hours and Africa 23. While London and Paris are on my to do list, considering all my Europe travel the last 2 year might re-orient myself for a bit.

I would love love love an Iceland trip!

Sorry, I'm guessing they'll send the email midnight May 17th, then book Adventures May 18th and general public May 19th. I'll be on the Fantasy and away from all internet then :rolleyes: Of course they'll have my dream itineraries of Croatia/Iceland/Poland/Russia (all in one trip) and it will sell out immediately. Or something like that...:)

Hahaha, I know what you mean

So you must be starting your S. Africa trip in Kruger and the going down to Cape Town?

Our flight from the US to J'burg to Cape Town has a relatively short connection ~1hr 45min. Let me know how your layover goes. We'll give it our best shot, but there's several later flights to Cape Town if we miss it.

Test Kitchen is also a Top 100 - #63.
We haven't booked anything yet. I may try to book Test Kitchen, but securing a reservation is difficult. Maybe the ABD Cape Town hotel concierge can help. I usually don't go too crazy when it's just my DS and me. We'll do the Livingston Room at Victoria Falls which is highly reviewed. I need to find a couple more.

Yes, we start with the safari portion of the trip. Then head to Cape Town for 4 nights, then up to Zambia via Jo'burg. I left plenty of time for our connections - when we arrive in Jo'burg from Zambia we have 4 hours to board our flight to Toronto. The connection that worries me the most is our connection in London to Toronto -- we only have 1 hour 45 minutes (which is very tight for Heathrow). But Air Canada flies to Toronto from London several times a day so we should be okay if we miss our flight. The only issue is that I have a flight to catch on July 14th at 10:00am!

Yes, we start with the safari portion of the trip. Then head to Cape Town for 4 nights, then up to Zambia via Jo'burg. I left plenty of time for our connections - when we arrive in Jo'burg from Zambia we have 4 hours to board our flight to Toronto. The connection that worries me the most is our connection in London to Toronto -- we only have 1 hour 45 minutes (which is very tight for Heathrow). But Air Canada flies to Toronto from London several times a day so we should be okay if we miss our flight. The only issue is that I have a flight to catch on July 14th at 10:00am!

The last time we were in Heathrow it was a Fri morning and we were connecting from the US to Dublin. 1hr 55min. But we had enough time to get through passport control, go to Aer Lingus to pick up last minute seat assignments, and Kate still had plenty of time in the main terminal to shop for a coat. Granted Aer Lingus probably starts boarding later than a larger international Air Canada flight.

How do ABD releases typically coordinate with DCL, if at all? Before? After? Anyone know if both have ever been released at the same time (seems that would be tough on TAs)?
I've only been watching both for a couple years, and it seems like DCL is releasing summer dates earlier, and ABD is releasing them later each year. I don't think there's any attempt to release together. I know I ended up booking B2B cruises instead of an ABD for this summer partly b/c DCL released before ABD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter