Okay here's our rough schedule for WDW

Water parks, there is also Aquatica to consider. It's much newer than Wet'n'Wild.
Everyone does seem to rave about Discovery Cove and it counts as pretty much an active rest day.

I wasn't that fussed about SeaWorld last year, I was very disappointed with the Polar Bear display. Many of the animals were displaying that psychotic swimming exactly the same path again and again behaviour. You get that a bit at Animal Kingdom too, but it was really noticeable at Seaworld for almost all of the marine mammals. Most people seemed to think it was great, you knew exactly where the animal was going to swim up to for the photo opportunity. Ocean Park in Hong Kong does the seals and penguins much better. Also considering the ages of your children, SeaWorld seems to be going a bit for the thrill rides, like Manta. Lots of height restrictions to consider with those.

Don't forget Tampa isn't far to the west coast and Busch Gardens, again, a bit more thrill ride, but they do have a lot of other stuff you don't find in Orlando, plus you see the other side of Florida :) . The combined tickets with Universal and SeaWorld (Orlando Flexi Ticket Plus) make it a pretty cheap add on.....

Staying on property, you can get the tickets for length of stay, and if you do that they sometimes include meals, probably not with the F&W at the same time though. It depends on how the US economy is going next year. Length of stay tickets give you the extra day at the end, with park hopping etc. Park hopping is worth it for Animal Kingdom, go as early as possible (the one park where I will use EMH) the animals are more active, by midday, they are having a nap, so you can then go to another park, though with the queues for Expedition Everest, that could keep you busy all day :) I usually do AK in the morning and Hollywood Studios in the afternoon/evening. Don't miss Toy Story Mania! regardless of how long the queue is :)

MNSSHP is a separate ticket, so you could do that one 'rest day' the week you are off property, you can get in from 4pm for a couple of hours Magic Kingdom without the themeing and then they roll out the Halloween stuff while you are in there. I wouldn’t waste a ticket on a park during the day and then try and stay out for the whole MNSSHP.

MNSSHP is a separate ticket, so you could do that one 'rest day' the week you are off property, you can get in from 4pm for a couple of hours Magic Kingdom without the themeing and then they roll out the Halloween stuff while you are in there. I wouldn’t waste a ticket on a park during the day and then try and stay out for the whole MNSSHP.

Many thanks for all your great advice Cola and regarding the MNSSHP, I was thinking that, if it was scheduled for that night, it might be nice to go on our last night in Orlando so that we end that part of the trip in the Magic Kingdom. I definitely like the idea of going in to the park at 4pm to make the most of all the time :thumbsup2

We plan to arrive into Orlando on October 1 next year and, if they offer free dining in September like they have this year, I presumed we will have missed out or maybe got one night free, as its only for stays up until October 2. Well, I've just found out that, for this year anyway, as long as you check in by October 2, you will get free dining for the rest of your entire stay!!! So, fingers crossed they offer the same deal and conditions next year!

The only dilemma is that, because we will be staying at POR, a Moderate, you get free Regular Dining whereas, because I'm not interested in pre-booking meals, I'd only planned on us getting the Quick Service Dining Plan so we'll actually get more than we want! :rotfl: I do plan for us to do a couple of character breakfasts so we can use the TS credits for that on those days but, when we come back to POR from the parks exhausted and just want a quick meal, can you use TS credits for the QS meals? :confused3

We plan to arrive into Orlando on October 1 next year and, if they offer free dining in September like they have this year, I presumed we will have missed out or maybe got one night free, as its only for stays up until October 2. Well, I've just found out that, for this year anyway, as long as you check in by October 2, you will get free dining for the rest of your entire stay!!! So, fingers crossed they offer the same deal and conditions next year!

The only dilemma is that, because we will be staying at POR, a Moderate, you get free Regular Dining whereas, because I'm not interested in pre-booking meals, I'd only planned on us getting the Quick Service Dining Plan so we'll actually get more than we want! :rotfl: I do plan for us to do a couple of character breakfasts so we can use the TS credits for that on those days but, when we come back to POR from the parks exhausted and just want a quick meal, can you use TS credits for the QS meals? :confused3

That's great! Nice to see that the T&C for free Dining could work out in your favour.

I understand that you can use TS credits for the QS meals -that's the way the Disney makes their money from the DP - by letting the CM at the register know that is what you want to do. It might be worth checking out what TS restaurants are part of the DP in DTD. Some of them don't take bookings; just walk up. You could always go to DTD direct from the parks and eat in the TS restaurants there and then catch the boat back to POR.

The other thing is that POR has it's own TS restaurant - Boatwrights on site. Might be worth checking out their menu as well. It was never fully busy when we got 'home'.

Thanks for your advice as always, Princess in Oz :). When you were staying at POR, you were on the Dining Plan weren't you? Were you on the Regular plan or the Quick Service?

Thanks for your advice as always, Princess in Oz :). When you were staying at POR, you were on the Dining Plan weren't you? Were you on the Regular plan or the Quick Service?

I was on QS. It was great to have the flexibility to eat at Counter Service places and not be tied to ADRs; but I must admit that the 'fast food' wore thin after a while. And this was for only 5 days! I'd recommend researching the various Counter Service menus at each park so that you know what you are prepared to eat. And pick at least 3 CS places at each park so that you have somewhere to go irrespective of where you are in the park. That way, you're not having to walk back and forth from one end to the other :thumbsup2.

There are great counter service like the land where the quality is really high and the range fantastic (it will please EVERYONE)
But depending on what character meals you are into Cinderella requires 2 TS credits so if you want that it will eat into you credits more quickly.

The best way I think to do things is to do character breakfasts. So you don't have to worry about getting to later meals. So dinner will be a quick and easy meal.
It fills you up for the day so we would typically have a snack around 2-3ish and then a CS dinner later.
Crystal Palace puts you in the MK. As does Tusker House (putting you inside AK.)
my fav 1900 gets you great character interactions with HTF characters in the parks saving you time tracking them down.

You aren't there that many nights so you will most likely use all the TS as TS anyway.

There are great counter service like the land where the quality is really high and the range fantastic (it will please EVERYONE)
But depending on what character meals you are into Cinderella requires 2 TS credits so if you want that it will eat into you credits more quickly.

The best way I think to do things is to do character breakfasts. So you don't have to worry about getting to later meals. So dinner will be a quick and easy meal.
It fills you up for the day so we would typically have a snack around 2-3ish and then a CS dinner later.
Crystal Palace puts you in the MK. As does Tusker House (putting you inside AK.)
my fav 1900 gets you great character interactions with HTF characters in the parks saving you time tracking them down.

You aren't there that many nights so you will most likely use all the TS as TS anyway.

Welcome back!! Work settled down?

Regardless of what Dining plan we are on, I've had already planned to do a Character breakfast at Crystal Palace in order to get into MK early and one at Tusker House to get into AK early. I also want to do a lunch at Sci-Fi Diner when we are at HS. So that's 3 TS meals that I'd planned to pay for extra on top of the QS Dining Plan. I guess that being on the Regular Dining Plan means that those meals would be included in that. I haven't looked into 1900 but will do so as that sounds good :)

I'd recommend researching the various Counter Service menus at each park so that you know what you are prepared to eat. And pick at least 3 CS places at each park so that you have somewhere to go irrespective of where you are in the park. That way, you're not having to walk back and forth from one end to the other :thumbsup2.

Yes, sounds like researching it all in advance is the way to go! I don't mind pre-planning character breakfasts but I just don't want to have to committ to any dinners as I don't know how exhausted the children will be, especially our 6 year-old. I'm aware that we do have a pretty demanding park schedule and will have to really maximise each day at the parks. I actually can't quite imagine the pace of it all as, in the past, I've only every done the two Disney Anaheim Parks over a week with lots of breaks! We might have to do some physical training before we go :rotfl2:

Welcome back!! Work settled down?
Let's just say it is all a relative thing :lmao::lmao:

Regardless of what Dining plan we are on, I've had already planned to do a Character breakfast at Crystal Palace in order to get into MK early and one at Tusker House to get into AK early. I also want to do a lunch at Sci-Fi Diner when we are at HS. So that's 3 TS meals that I'd planned to pay for extra on top of the QS Dining Plan. I guess that being on the Regular Dining Plan means that those meals would be included in that. I haven't looked into 1900 but will do so as that sounds good :)
Yep...this is just my point. :goodvibes
It isn't like you are on a 2 week stay at one resort so there are 14 TS to use.
I completely understand dinners and so on. Being 'grown ups' :rolleyes1 we had quite a few for places but I still prefer breakfasts unless there is something special on the dinner menu. :thumbsup2 Even adults get tired.
The only difference is that feeding them while sitting down helps calm them :rotfl2:

But yeah. It is quite possible that you could find enough breakfasts or not?
It is possible there won't even be free dining. And it is possible it WILL be QS even if it is there. The rules and inclusions will more than likely change in 2011. So while there is year on year 'consistency' just be ready for anything. A 40% pin may well be the best thing for you if you can try and get one.
:wizard:

. A 40% pin may well be the best thing for you if you can try and get one.
:wizard:

Yes, you are right, this is all totally subject to the new 2011 offers so I better not spend too much time researching this for now!

Queenie, what is a 40% pin and how do you get one? :confused3

Yes, you are right, this is all totally subject to the new 2011 offers so I better not spend too much time researching this for now!

Queenie, what is a 40% pin and how do you get one? :confused3
Oh keep researching so you know what to grab when offers do appear!!!
It took quite some time to work out where we really wanted to eat...what plan to go with etc. 1900 was a place I decided on just before the 90 day window came up to fill our ADRs and it is now a fav!
So...lots of researching :rotfl: :thumbsup2

Pin code info....
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2465579
Ask here for more info...it's all too confusing for me :lmao:

Travelmum - what is your budget for this trip - we are looking at doing the same thing at that time, have the same problem as you only wanting to take eldest from school for 1 week - family of five - will $20K aust cover it?
The only addition is I would like to stop over for 1-2 nights in San Francisco on the way back to break up the long haul. It is really hard to make firm plans without knowing flight prices / schedules.

Hi Batty Mum, I'm finding it very hard to work out how much it will cost because the airfares are so variable. Unfortunately, we will be departing during the Rugby World Cup time so, whilst there are normally quite good airline specials for Sep/Oct departures, I fear there won't be any next year :( Also it will all depend on the Disney rates as to whether or not we can afford to stay on site so all this Dining Plan talk might be irrelevent in the end! The only thing I do already know is the cost of the cruise as we have booked and deposited for that.

It will probably cost us more than 20K NZ$, but you could probably do it in Aussie dollars as you are more likely to get cheaper airfares than us.

You really do need 12months + to plan dont you! This is a whole new world for me - I am still trying to decipher all the acronymns used on these boards. Is it important to stay site? I have been looking at some great condos that look beautiful and much more spacious with cooking / washing facilities and they are much better priced. Would we really be missing out by not staying on site. My children will be 16, 14, 14 so it would be really too crowded in a single hotel room. We will probably get a car and I am assuming there are supermarkets so can get some holiday supplies, fast food for two weeks doesnt appeal to me, but the fam would probably disagree.

Originally posted by battyman
You really do need 12months + to plan dont you! This is a whole new world for me - I am still trying to decipher all the acronymns used on these boards. Is it important to stay site? I have been looking at some great condos that look beautiful and much more spacious with cooking / washing facilities and they are much better priced. Would we really be missing out by not staying on site. My children will be 16, 14, 14 so it would be really too crowded in a single hotel room. We will probably get a car and I am assuming there are supermarkets so can get some holiday supplies, fast food for two weeks doesnt appeal to me, but the fam would probably disagree.

There is nothing wrong with off-site, in fact we did it a few times until our last stay on site with DVC. Indeed there would not be SO many options off-site if they were not used, however make sure you check out various properties and reviews such as on trip advisor. It all comes down to personal preference, how much time you have and what you intend to do whilst there.
If you are off-site you MUST budget for car rental from the airport and parking at the parks.
You are correct that there are supermarkets as well as Walmart for supplies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter