OK with surgical mask?

We're AP holders and this flu season, after visiting the parks, I have gotten the flu, bronchitis and now a bad cold. I am super careful about washing hands and using hand sanitizer, especially before eating anything with our hands, but it just doesn't matter. I don't have a compromised immune system, but every week when we go, I get sick the next day. I do not want to stop going, but I am wondering, since Disney has a problem with adults wearing masks, would they have an issue if I wore a surgical or germ mask on property? I will feel silly, but I am just so darn sick of being sick and this has been the last 3 months.

It’s probably ok though you might get some looks.

Airborne diseases aren’t really going to be stippedwith hand washing and especially not sanitizers, though. If I were getting sick with every visit I would start working on boosting my immune system. (bc if I were getting sick within a day of each visit I personally would think that my immune system was lowered) I already am boosting mine since when I get sick it goes to my lungs and that’s scary. Antioxidants, and everything to help your body behave normally, like good chiropractic and regular acupuncture, excellent diet, etc.

There should be nothing wrong with wearing a surgical mask! I agree with the above comment though, try taking some Emergent-C or other immune boosting vitamins before you go!

From what I have read, a mask does not protect as well as you think it does. I have read that it can help spread the flu if you have it, but it does not protect you from getting it. They are designed more to trap secretions if you are coughing, than prevent you from inhaling germs. It can't hurt though if it makes you feel better.

I would also concentrate on not touching your face. This is the MOST important way to prevent getting sick IMO. I drill it into my family while we are there. We also wash a lot and try to avoid touching railings.

No worries, I was going to bring the n95 mask, not just the cloth surgical mask. I'm glad they aren't forbidden. Like I said, sick of getting sick

Yes, I saw a few people wearing them. They are generally good for keeping you from touching your nose and mouth. I almost got them for our trip, but instead relied heavily on disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer. We survived without going down for the count!

We saw quite a few people wearing them at Diseny and also on both of our flights. I didn't wear one on the flight down but when I saw how many people were ill (including our resort) I wore one home.

If you have paper masks you need to change them frequently. They don’t work as well after having them on long. I think they will make you much hotter too. I can barely stand them in hospital rooms let alone in Disney in summer. N95 masks give many headaches. Just things to think about. That being said I have taken care of a lot of flu patients this year and not gotten sick wearing a simple mask.

I would take a break for a month or so.

I think the worst of the respiratory-virus and flu season will let up by then.

Give your body time to rest up.

No worries, I was going to bring the n95 mask, not just the cloth surgical mask. I'm glad they aren't forbidden. Like I said, sick of getting sick
if you are getting sick the next day most likely it was not Disney but something during the week before trip. just going to the store or mall or work not just Disney

From what I have read, a mask does not protect as well as you think it does. I have read that it can help spread the flu if you have it, but it does not protect you from getting it. They are designed more to trap secretions if you are coughing, than prevent you from inhaling germs. It can't hurt though if it makes you feel better.

I would also concentrate on not touching your face. This is the MOST important way to prevent getting sick IMO. I drill it into my family while we are there. We also wash a lot and try to avoid touching railings.
Totally agree with the strategy of not touching your eyes, nose and mouth. That is the way most germs get into your system. Frequent hand washing, plus keeping your hands away from your face, will help a lot.

In December 2016 and March 2017, we went to Disney. By the middle of our trip in December I got really sick and it took until the end of February before it finally started to go away....In March we went back and one day before we left I got even worse than the December trip. It was the sickest I had ever been in my life.

We decided to back again this past December and two weeks before we left I took multivitamins and EmergenC gummies every day and throughout my trip. I stayed totally healthy which was surprising given the plane rides both ways and people coughing and sneezing.

I would try boosting your immune system with a little extra something. In my case it helped. Good luck!

Er - have you worn the N95 masks before? I need to use them every now and again and can usually last just about 15 minutes in them before I feel like I’m suffocating - definitely could NOT tour theme parks with them! I find them really uncomfortable when they are worn correctly...

Interestingly in somewhere like Japan people wear surgical masks on the streets and also in Disney so would definitely not be out of place wearing a surgical mask there! However I can’t remember the last time I saw someone wearing a surgical mask in WDW...

However I can’t remember the last time I saw someone wearing a surgical mask in WDW...
It is very rare. It's likely that day guests will not see someone wearing a surgical mask during their entire visit or visits. However, being there every week and usually being at a different park each day, at some point, I have encountered someone wearing a mask on rare occasions. As I posted previously, most often, but not always, it's someone from an Asian country.

Er - have you worn the N95 masks before? I need to use them every now and again and can usually last just about 15 minutes in them before I feel like I’m suffocating - definitely could NOT tour theme parks with them! I find them really uncomfortable when they are worn correctly...

Interestingly in somewhere like Japan people wear surgical masks on the streets and also in Disney so would definitely not be out of place wearing a surgical mask there! However I can’t remember the last time I saw someone wearing a surgical mask in WDW...
This is so true I can only wear an N95 mast for 15 minutes and the temperatures has to be 72 or lower no way I could wear one at Disney and you will have to eat and drink

Op I think your better off washing your hands and not touching things

I’ve worn both surgical masks (usually only when I can’t stand my vogmasks any longer) and more substantial/effective vogmasks so I can say it’s definitely not against policy. But it is rare to see. And I agree with others that unless you are used to it, you are probably not going to be comfortable for long. And the surgical masks only protect against larger particles....not small particles in the air. I’ve done almost 12 hours with wearing a masks (not the flimsy surgical ones but my vogmasks) in Disneyland more than a few times (we are local) and no one has ever said anything and to be honest, if I’ve gotten looks from others, I have never noticed.

But I wear a mask for at least some amount of time everyday. Compromised immune system + mast cell disease (essentially allergic to everything) means I wear a mask almost every time we leave the house. So I am more used to it than most. But I honestly don’t think the flimsy surgical masks will really help for an entire trip and N95 mask.....you will probably be miserable.

If I was getting sick that often, I would just stay away for a while and let myself recover. I love Disney.....but it’s not worth it to keep getting sick. Knock on wood, but I’ve yet to get sick because of going to Disney....

If I were getting sick that often, I think I would start with a visit to the Dr. to see if there might be a reason for it.

We have gotten sick at Disney several times over the years. I guess with that many people in one small geographic area, it is bound to happen. I have found that if we carry Clorox wipes, and anti bacterial hand wipes . . . use the Clorox wipes to clean any counter service table before we sit down to eat, and use the hand wipes to clean our hands before eating, that we don't get sick. Honestly, the years that we have done this, no one has ever gotten sick. Every time someone came down with a cold at Disney, we weren't following that process. Needless to say, we always have the Clorox wipes, and hand wipes with us now.

We were actively avoiding coughing people on our trip over the holidays this year - they were everywhere! I don't know how we managed to avoid illness with 8 days in the park and a full coughing flight home but we did! I sanitize the airplane tray tables and our hotel high touch areas (switches, remote, etc) and we use hand sanitizing wipes when we can't wash our hands. We didn't use much bus transportation this time - I wonder if that helps? Those buses are normally packed so full, you are bound to rebreathe someone else's air.

Nothing works 100%. Personally, I wouldn't last more than a few minutes in a mask. I feel suffocated wearing them! I don't think anyone will hassle you for wearing one, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter