OK with surgical mask?

My DH and I picked up a nasty cold last April. His lasted for 16 weeks. The duration literally saved his life.

He finally went to a medical facility - and they did a PSA on him because he hadn't had a check up in years. It was sky high in his early 50s. Surgery is in a few weeks.

I think the airport is a hotbed of germs from around the world.

Sometimes a cold can save your life.

DW and I stopped in to Epcot for a few hours on the 5th of January and we both got sick the next day. DW woke up with a mild fever and stuffed head. By the end of the day I also had a mild fever and intestinal distress. Thankfully we both quickly recovered after the second day.

DW did wear a mask for part of the visit as the crowds built. We are also diligent with sanitizers and frequent hand washing. DW is immune suppressed as she is a transplant recipient so she is more susceptible to picking up bugs. We decided to eat lunch at Sunshine Seasons which I suspect was where we picked up our bugs either through the food or from the crowd.

With the increase in flu we have decided to limit our visits to Disney this season. Too much of a risk to DW's health to take the chance.

Wishing everyone a healthy winter!

It’s funny how here people tend to thinking of wearing masks to prevent getting sick. When I was visiting Hong Kong for work, it was basically the unwritten law that if your sick you wear one so you don’t spread germ to the healthy. My coworkers basically told me I had to wear one as it’s the proper th8ng to do. Which I agree it is. I think it’s the same in Japan. Seems to make more sense, but given how many people don’t even cover their mouths when coughing or sneezing I doubt people here would ever do this.

This is a bit off topic - but it fits in.

If you were in the park and I coughed near you - you would want to run away from me quickly! But - the cough is from COPD, not from any disease you could catch from me. It just sounds bad.

I do agree that you can use your mask for germ protection in the parks.

Antibacterial hand sanitizers, wipes and misuse of antibiotics are leading to mutations and superbugs like MRSA. I wish people would stop using them (wipes and sanitizer). The OP has a compromised immune system, but regular people really do not need them. The species has survived for millions of years without sanitizers and wipes. The common cold and flu are caused by viruses anyway and wipes will do nothing to prevent them.

I don't think anyone will hassle you for wearing one, though.

Well.... hassle? No, probably not. But be prepared to see people snatch their children up and run, looking over their shoulder at you with terror in their eyes. Like someone else said, masks are generally used to keep YOU from contaminating others, not the other way around. I will thank you for wearing one if you are sick around me, but it won't protect you from the sneezer next to you in line for Space Mountain. You know, surgeons don't wear masks to keep themselves free from becoming diseased.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter