ok please explain passport or passport card

Discussion in 'Podcast Cruises' started by Brumeiser, May 19, 2009.

  1. Brumeiser

    Brumeiser Total Disney Nut

    Jun 6, 2000
    I see there is a United States passport card. It says it is for land border crossing at Canada, Mexico, Caribean, Bermuda and it is for land border crossing or sea ports of entry. So my question can this be used instead of the regular passport on the DCL? Thanks everyone :confused3
  2. mikelan6

    mikelan6 World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

    Sep 20, 2000
    Yes. The passport card can be used for cruises, but not if you arrive by air. The problem with this is that if anything happens while you're in port in a foreign country during the cruise, and you need to fly back for any reason, then you will need a regular paper passport.

    I would suggest getting a regular passport if you haven't gotten one already.
  3. Renysmom

    Renysmom DIS Veteran

    Sep 22, 2004
    I read on the cruise boards that even though the rules say you can cruise with a passport card most cruise lines (including DCL) are not supporting them, some are not going to accept them at all, due to the no fly rule. I guess they don't want to deal with a issue of there is a passenger who can't ly home and wants to drag the Cruise line and airline into a war

    I agree, it should all be the same for all modes of transportation. Everyone uses them or no one uses them.
  4. jeanigor

    jeanigor DIS Veteran

    Feb 4, 2008
    I'm glad I have (and carry) my passport card. I lost my driver's license while in the Magic Kingdom this past Tuesday and was supposed to fly home that afternoon/evening. My passport card was valid identification for domestic air travel.

Share This Page