ok, I am not at Walmart all that often, but...

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
had to run in there yesterday, used the self check-out line. Looked at my receipt and ther is an 8 cent charge for using my debit card? How long has THAT been going on? I did a search and saw an article form Feb this year, on all credit card companies installing various charges at various retailers....sheesh. This may have been going on a while and I have totally overlooked it..and I know I am going to get flamed over 8 cents, but it's the principle. I guess I will go back to cash...that is how I more than likely missed this charge in the first place, but still think it is wrong to charge for the simple act of USING a specific type of payment at the checkout.

That's odd.

I shop at Wal-Mart all of the time (for our weekly shops) I've never had a charge for using my Disney Visa (yes I read each receipt to confirm prices etc before I leave the store). Not sure why they would charge for debit over credit - that makes no sense.

I suggest you call 1800Wal-Mart and ask directly. If it's a new policy complain about it - if enough people call they may change it back.

Yowza - I shop there all the time, and have to 'fess up that I don't check my reciepts often. I keep them all, though, and will go check out! Thanks for the head's up!

Btw, you wouldn't have to switch to cash.. just use your debit card as a credit card. Here's how: when you get to the part where you put in your PIN number, hit CANCEL, then the option to use it as a credit card is there.

If you have a debit card with the Visa OR Mastercard logo....most do, but some don't..ALWAYS run it as pp stated as a credit card...I have finally gotten this message through to DH..not just Wal~Mart MOST places use a debit card incur a fee..why :confused3 doesn't matter to me why but never as a debit

Yowza - I shop there all the time, and have to 'fess up that I don't check my reciepts often. I keep them all, though, and will go check out! Thanks for the head's up!

Btw, you wouldn't have to switch to cash.. just use your debit card as a credit card. Here's how: when you get to the part where you put in your PIN number, hit CANCEL, then the option to use it as a credit card is there.

There are some debit cards that can't be used as credit cards.

I thought it was cheaper for retailers if you used debit over credit...I guess I misunderstood. And it's kind of messed up they didn't warn you there would be an extra charge. Sure it's 8 cents, but it's principle that they charged you 8 more than you thought without any warning.

Do you have a link to that article??

I've never noticed that ours does that. that's really odd. I think I'd definately ask the store manager though..... :confused3

I just checked my latest receipt - paid with a debit card and I didn't have a charge. It is a Regions Bank Card ---- wonder if the bank is the difference??? This was at an Alabama Wal-Mart. As many times as I go to WalMart that 8 cents would add up.:mad:

I checked my debt purchase from WM on 4/11, in Angola, NY and there was no charge for using the debit anywhere on the rec. :sad2:

Mine has a visa logo, and is not a pre-pay, but a true debit card- :confused3

I do a lot of impluse buying so they will lose out if I have to be strict to the amount of cash I carry.

I use my debit card everywhere for everything and have never been charged a fee from a merchant for using it. Is the fee thing something new in certain areas?

called walmart, customer service did not understand what I was talking about over the phone, so the next time I go in I will bring my receipt and show them...:confused3 it is weird...and I hope a fluke as I think charging people who use a debit card is nuts!

True..that's why I said you have to make sure your debit card has the Visa or MC logo.....some debit cards issued don't

I don't know if they changed the policy but a year or so ago they stopped accepting check cards with the visa logo, only mastercard ones. I have a visa check card so I have to use it as debit.

I've never been charged a fee for it though.

I use my debit card all the time at Walmart and have never been charged any sort of fee for using my debit card.

I don't know if they changed the policy but a year or so ago they stopped accepting check cards with the visa logo, only mastercard ones. I have a visa check card so I have to use it as debit.

Who did WalMart? I go there sometimes 2 x's a week here in FL..still run it as credit..and have the Visa Logo....maybe each state is different or depends on your bank :confused3 don't know

I use my Visa check card 2x's a week every week for the last 3 years as a Visa and have never had a problem.

OP - Are you sure that it is Walmart that charged it and not your bank?

I use my visa check card when I shop at Walmart, maybe it's a regional thing. I know I was in there right before Easter and used it then.

I shopped there, yesterday -- paid with a debit card -- and, no additonal charges...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter