• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohanas' and a shellfish allergy.

CatNipRules

DIS Veteran
Okay, so I ate at Ohanas' once back in 2013. I have a shellfish allergy that, over the past few years has gotten progressively worse. I can't be in the same room as it when it's being cooked and anything I eat must be prepared on a cooking surface separate from any shellfish.

My concern is this: Should I avoid this meal like the plague or would it be safe? For me it isn't a must do, but a friend wants to. I could eat someplace else, but was just wondering if they can take extra precautions for my allergy.

My daughter has a shellfish allergy but it’s not airborne. We eat there, but we do not have the shrimp brought to the table. We wipe the tabletop off before we sit down. We do speak to the chef and I think she eats everything else or the chefs are great about bringing out individual separate portions for her.

Personally I don’t avoid restaurants that serve my allergens, though that’s because there isn’t a single one that is 100% safe. I have multiple allergies including 3 that are airborne anaphylactic: mustard, tapioca, and alcohol. Tapioca is found on nearly all frozen french fries so it’s impossible to avoid.

I wear a face mask in restaurants and in the parks. It’s something I was a bit self-conscious about at first but it doesn’t bother me anymore. I’m not going to let my allergies completely dictate my life and make me miss things I want to do.

I’ve eaten at Ohana before and plan to do so again. It’s a nice restaurants and the chef was really good about bringing me out safe food. All the Disney restaurants are very good with allergies (Some Epcot and Disney Springs reaurants are disney owns and they can be hit or miss.)

Personally I don’t avoid restaurants that serve my allergens, though that’s because there isn’t a single one that is 100% safe. I have multiple allergies including 3 that are airborne anaphylactic: mustard, tapioca, and alcohol. Tapioca is found on nearly all frozen french fries so it’s impossible to avoid.

I wear a face mask in restaurants and in the parks. It’s something I was a bit self-conscious about at first but it doesn’t bother me anymore. I’m not going to let my allergies completely dictate my life and make me miss things I want to do.

I’ve eaten at Ohana before and plan to do so again. It’s a nice restaurants and the chef was really good about bringing me out safe food. All the Disney restaurants are very good with allergies (Some Epcot and Disney Springs reaurants are disney owns and they can be hit or miss.)
How do you eat with an N95 respirator on? That's the only one that will keep fine particles out of your system.

How do you eat with an N95 respirator on? That's the only one that will keep fine particles out of your system.

Very carefully, but I’ve had years to practice.

I often use Breathy Healthy masks and RZ masks with filters and don’t have problems as long as they are new. I have had problems when the masks/ filters wear out and those are not fun experiences.

I have a sensitivity to shrimp. I wouldn’t call it a flat-out allergy because I can eat a few here and there and get away with it most of the time. But I have reacted to it pretty severely a few times—swollen hands, puffy face, hives.

But that has happened only when I’ve eaten it, so now, I just don’t eat it. I have no problem at Ohana or Cape May Cafe.

I am seafood allergic and react to it when it is airborne.

On the advice of others and due to the fact that the cooking area is open to the seating a area and shrimp is a part of most tables' meals, we decided to do Ohana breakfast instead of dinner. We loved it !!

SW

They have lots of sizzling shrimp being toted around to all the tables. I don’t think it would be safe if your allergy is that easy to trigger.

Last edited:
I am airborne allergic to shellfish, fish. Personally, We don’t go to any of the restaurants that are seafood focused. It’s also why we have never stayed at Beach Club resort. We even skip Columbia harbor house...It’s just not worth it. I go into anaphylaxis enough from mast cell disease so not worth putting myself in a situation that even with a mask (I wear vogmasks....they are great) would probably end with an ER visit. Because of my allergies, I do wear my mask in all restaurants and in basically all public areas but since I really don’t eat much anymore (I’m on TPN), I don’t have to deal with the issue of how to eat if im wearing a mask. Not sure how that would even really work.....(but to be honest, in public areas the mask is more for protection from fragrances, perfumes, colognes, etc than because of food allergies)

I am airborne allergic to shellfish, fish. Personally, We don’t go to any of the restaurants that are seafood focused. It’s also why we have never stayed at Beach Club resort. We even skip Columbia harbor house...It’s just not worth it. I go into anaphylaxis enough from mast cell disease so not worth putting myself in a situation that even with a mask (I wear vogmasks....they are great) would probably end with an ER visit. Because of my allergies, I do wear my mask in all restaurants and in basically all public areas but since I really don’t eat much anymore (I’m on TPN), I don’t have to deal with the issue of how to eat if im wearing a mask. Not sure how that would even really work.....(but to be honest, in public areas the mask is more for protection from fragrances, perfumes, colognes, etc than because of food allergies)

Columbia harbour house actually received mends on their allergy menu that people with a seafood allergy not eat there.

Sw

Seems like it's just not worth your worry. Yes, you may be just fine. But, there are SO MANY other wonderful choices at WDW. I think I'd just opt to experience something new.

If you can't be in the same room with shellfish (shrimp) being cooked, you'll need to stay away from 'Ohana. ('Ohana hasn't even got walls so I don't know how close you could get to it). Your only option would be if there is a private room that 'Ohana can place you in, but I don't recall that there is one.

I am guessing they have an allergy safe grill to prepare things on, maybe in a shared kitchen with Kona, but you might not get the same grilled foods as everyone else. In any case, an airborne allergy would preclude your going there at all.

Okay, so we decided to skip it. It's just not worth the risk and I don't want to end up in the hospital. Especially after seeing the episode of the Dis and hearing them talk about the food. Might try it for breakfast since we all love Stitch.

My mom has a severe seafood allergy too. We love all seafood but try hard to avoid any restaurants that serve a lot of fish if she is traveling with us. And none of us order fish if it’s on the menu when she’s with us. Mom’s 89 and otherwise pretty healthy. It’s just a precaution we feel is appropriate given her situation. And of course we ensure Disney is aware of her allergy too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter