Ohana when kids won't eat the meat

emmababy

DIS Veteran
My husband and I LoVe it there but our 3 kids only order mac n cheese. So it ends up being $75 just for them to eat mac n cheese. Has anyone ever experienced them just charging a kids meal price for them?
We might have to skip knowing my kids just aren't meat eaters.

My husband and I LoVe it there but our 3 kids only order mac n cheese. So it ends up being $75 just for them to eat mac n cheese. Has anyone ever experienced them just charging a kids meal price for them?
Any child under 10 will be charged the kids price, anyone older will be charged as an adult -- no matter what they eat/don't eat.

Unfortunately, $25 is the kid's meal price for Ohana.

My husband and I LoVe it there but our 3 kids only order mac n cheese. So it ends up being $75 just for them to eat mac n cheese. Has anyone ever experienced them just charging a kids meal price for them? We might have to skip knowing my kids just aren't meat eaters.

There's no way around it. Everyone who sits at the table pays the full price.

I feel your pain. On our last family trip I ended up cancelling our Ohana ADR when I realized my 10 year old was going to be charged over $40 to eat mac n cheese. Now we only eat there when we are kid-less. We've also had to drop character meals. I just can't pay $50+ for an 11 yr old girl to nibble on chicken nuggets. Sigh.

Nope, there's no way around it. I feel your pain. My kids actually would eat more in some instances but food allergies limit what they can have. We had like a $250 bill from the 5 of us at Tusker House last trip and my oldest only ate mac and cheese. No safe desserts to be had.

I try to not focus on the individual cost of one meal and look at my overall budget for the trip. It helps me feel better about it, lol.

Maybe drop them off in the kids club? Might be cheaper to pay for childcare! Ok well, maybe not since the kids club at the poly is $55 per kid for the evening.

Maybe drop them off in the kids club? Might be cheaper to pay for childcare! Ok well, maybe not since the kids club at the poly is $55 per kid for the evening.
I know that simbas cub house at AKL you get a discount if you show receipt for eating on property doing exactly this. I would think they might do the same at the poly but best to check yourself. I'd feel guilty not bringing my kids but I secretly envy anyone who does it. Lol

The current children's price for dinner is about $25 at 'Ohana so that is what anyone 3 to 9 will be charged regardless of how little or how much they eat. If anyone has gotten charged less it is pixie dust and absolutely not something to be counted on. If, by "kids meal price" you are asking if they will only charge the price of a kid's mac and cheese meal like the one that can be ordered at many a la carte TS restaurants the answer is no.

The price is the price. As long as they are fed and happy, what does it matter if they eat meat or mac and cheese? IF it is an experience you want to do as a family. If not, or if there is nothing they can eat there and you have to feed them elsewhere afterwards that's one thing. But as long as you are fed as a family don't think of it as $75 for mac and cheese. If you are ok with $75 for "dinner" it's "dinner" whether it is meat or mac and cheese. If you're not ok with $75 for "dinner" then go somewhere where it costs less.

Disney prices are horrific no matter how you slice it. It's just a matter of degree. I just budget for the vacation and don't overly focus on any one expense.

But why are they not eating meat? Is there a reason? Do they have ethical dilemmas ? do not like the taste etc?

The price is the price. As long as they are fed and happy, what does it matter if they eat meat or mac and cheese? IF it is an experience you want to do as a family. If not, or if there is nothing they can eat there and you have to feed them elsewhere afterwards that's one thing. But as long as you are fed as a family don't think of it as $75 for mac and cheese. If you are ok with $75 for "dinner" it's "dinner" whether it is meat or mac and cheese. If you're not ok with $75 for "dinner" then go somewhere where it costs less.

Disney prices are horrific no matter how you slice it. It's just a matter of degree. I just budget for the vacation and don't overly focus on any one expense.

This is how I think of it. I don't worry what the cost for X food is. All disney meals are over priced for what they are. But I look if a restaurant will be fun for all and if everyone will enjoy something to eat and leave satisfied.

I'm not romantic about WDW dining. I pick places that I think we'll all enjoy and not try to rationalize the "experience". We dined at 'Ohana on our first trip. My kids will eat a wide variety and I didn't begin or end the meal with concerns. Saying that, we didn't love it so we're fine not going back. It was ok but chaotic, not my preferred vibe. Don't feel that you're missing out if your family won't enjoy it! Go to breakfast or pick a spot you know will be enjoyed.

This is how I think of it. I don't worry what the cost for X food is. All disney meals are over priced for what they are. But I look if a restaurant will be fun for all and if everyone will enjoy something to eat and leave satisfied.

Exactly. I have only 2 family members who even come close to eating their money's worth at a Disney family style or buffet restaurant.

I'm not romantic about WDW dining. I pick places that I think we'll all enjoy and not try to rationalize the "experience". We dined at 'Ohana on our first trip. My kids will eat a wide variety and I didn't begin or end the meal with concerns. Saying that, we didn't love it so we're fine not going back. It was ok but chaotic, not my preferred vibe. Don't feel that you're missing out if your family won't enjoy it! Go to breakfast or pick a spot you know will be enjoyed.

We just made a similar choice. I really wanted to go Park Fare for the stepsisters experience. But, everyone agreed we wouldn't enjoy the food that much. So we chose food over entertainment. Of course others might enjoy entertainment over food. That is why restaurant choices are so hard to go on anyone else's opinion.

Think if it as a $10 Mac n cheese and a $15 entertainment. It softens the blow a little.
Haha!!! I love it like it's my favorite place and we are staying at Poly. I think maybe Kona for dinner and Ohana for breakfast?

But why are they not eating meat? Is there a reason? Do they have ethical dilemmas ? do not like the taste etc?
They just don't like steak and shrimp or broccoli or salad. So they usually end up having mac n cheese or nuggets.

This is exactly why I cancelled our ADR. My girls just won't eat enough to make it worth it when we are paying OOP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter