'Ohana review

I guess my review is totally irrelevant then...

Peter I think what this proves is that this is possibly the most inconsistent eatery on property.

There are so many "never again" posts, but you see "best ever" comments as well. Either the food/service is inconsistent or people are so far apart on what constitutes a nice meal that you can't get a legitimate reading(which may well be the case)

To quote that old laxative commercial "What's a mother to do?" We'd love to love this place (some years ago it was pretty darned good).

If I were in charge, I'd work to improve the food quality even if I had to raise the prices. I'm sure there's some formula/ratio Disney demands from its restaurants that must be met which may prevent this solution from being possible. :earsboy:

We just ate there on October 26th. It was probably one of the best meals I have had. Everything came out hot and all the meats were very tender. This is the third time we have eaten there. I think it is a place where anything could happen. Our second trip there was just okay, but this trip was outstanding.
You really just have to find out for yourself because there are always going to be pros and cons about every place. Plus, I think people tend to be more vocal when they have had a bad experience rather than a good one.

I had this one booked at 180 days out for our December trip. Never having been, this was the one ADR in my head that I "couldn't change or cancel", even though there were other restaurants that we were interested in. In the end, I ended up asking for some pro advice (thanks Rusty, lol) and decided to scrap it and go with Artist Point instead. After reading this thread I see we made the right pick.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

For those of you who are reading this thread and worrying about your ADRs, please don't cancel your ADR just because of what you read. ALL of the WDW restaurants get good and bad reviews, although I will say that 'Ohana tends to be somewhat controversial! Think about restaurants you eat at back at home. You might go once and it's great, then you go back a 2nd time and it's not as good. This is no different, but we have such high expectations because it's such a special occasion!

We ate there earlier this past week and had an overall positive experience. The service was just fine, the server was attentive and efficient.

I enjoyed the shrimp (although it was a little spicy), steak, pork (yes I know it's just a pork chop but it was cooked well and I liked the seasonings). DH loved the chicken. We also enjoyed the salad and noodles.

My main beefs with this place would be the speed at which food comes out and the sheer amount of it. SO much food is wasted.

My FAVE part of this experience was the bread pudding dessert. It was soooo yummy and DH and I had to stop ourselves from totally finishing it!

SarahKate said:
For those of you who are reading this thread and worrying about your ADRs, please don't cancel your ADR just because of what you read. ALL of the WDW restaurants get good and bad reviews, although I will say that 'Ohana tends to be somewhat controversial! Think about restaurants you eat at back at home. You might go once and it's great, then you go back a 2nd time and it's not as good. This is no different, but we have such high expectations because it's such a special occasion!

We ate there earlier this past week and had an overall positive experience. The service was just fine, the server was attentive and efficient.

I enjoyed the shrimp (although it was a little spicy), steak, pork (yes I know it's just a pork chop but it was cooked well and I liked the seasonings). DH loved the chicken. We also enjoyed the salad and noodles.

My main beefs with this place would be the speed at which food comes out and the sheer amount of it. SO much food is wasted.

My FAVE part of this experience was the bread pudding dessert. It was soooo yummy and DH and I had to stop ourselves from totally finishing it!

I totally agree. I've been to Ohana's and had an amazing experience, but also have been and had a so-so experience. We still go, but I have learned to do a few things. I request seating that I know I like when checking in, I ask the server to slow down the pace of food being served, and also request meat that is fresher, steak medium rare. The change in pace of the food coming out really changes the experience.

Yikes! I was ecstatic that we scored a 6:30 ressie for our trip in Dec just last week, but now....hmmmmm....not so much. We loved their b-fast and thought since the dinner ressies were so hard to find, must be just as good. Thinking we'll give it a go anyways, but wonder if a ressie for Kona (never been there for dinner either) would be a safer option consistency-wise.

When did they change the pork? GAH, that was my favorite part of the meal. I wish Disney would stop changing up the things that are actually good and work on changing those foods that are really bad!

Peter I think what this proves is that this is possibly the most inconsistent eatery on property.

There are so many "never again" posts, but you see "best ever" comments as well. Either the food/service is inconsistent or people are so far apart on what constitutes a nice meal that you can't get a legitimate reading(which may well be the case)

To quote that old laxative commercial "What's a mother to do?" We'd love to love this place (some years ago it was pretty darned good).

If I were in charge, I'd work to improve the food quality even if I had to raise the prices. I'm sure there's some formula/ratio Disney demands from its restaurants that must be met which may prevent this solution from being possible. :earsboy:
I agree, plus most posters obviously can't differentiate between what they personally don't like (or like) vs. What may be fact.

Were you only looking for people to agree with you?

I don't give a crap whether people disagree or agree with me. But my opinion, based on many years of dining at a restaurant I have always loved should at least be viewed as objective. I would think diners would appreciate my opinions based on my mixed emotions.

BTW, I will still give 'Ohana another chance at some point in the future (before my TIW card expires). Just try to be objective folks.

We went December, 2011 and didn't care for it. It's not back on our radar for our return trip.

For those of you who are reading this thread and worrying about your ADRs, please don't cancel your ADR just because of what you read.

I agree, but only to some extent. If you have an ADR there and it is one of many places you want to try, then by all means, try it. But I get the sense that many people lock this in as their single most special, anticipated ADR of their entire trip and go in with very high expectations. To these people I would say: if you are relying on Ohana as your one and only, single "best" dining experience at WDW, please look elsewhere. Any place that is this controversial and this inconsistent should not be counted on to deliver a "special" meal.

I agree, but only to some extent. If you have an ADR there and it is one of many places you want to try, then by all means, try it. But I get the sense that many people lock this in as their single most special, anticipated ADR of their entire trip and go in with very high expectations. To these people I would say: if you are relying on Ohana as your one and only, single "best" dining experience at WDW, please look elsewhere. Any place that is this controversial and this inconsistent should not be counted on to deliver a "special" meal.

Exactly. It used to be something special for a variety of reasons. But today, with the dilution of quality in everything from presentation to quality ... No way.

What seating do you like at Ohana? My mom is 77 and would prefer something a little quieter, can you recommend at area

I get the sense that many people lock this in as their single most special, anticipated ADR of their entire trip and go in with very high expectations. To these people I would say: if you are relying on Ohana as your one and only, single "best" dining experience at WDW, please look elsewhere. Any place that is this controversial and this inconsistent should not be counted on to deliver a "special" meal.

I completely agree. Two years ago this was "the place" we were most excited to go...and it was a huge disappointment. The food was just AWFUL. Dry meat (and way too much of it), the shells wouldn't come off the shrimp, tough dumplings, absent/unfriendly servers, and irritiating entertainment. The only thing good about the meal was the bread...

We are HUGE foodies and understand some restaurants have "off days", but we will NEVER be back. It was that bad. :confused3

I completely agree. Two years ago this was "the place" we were most excited to go...and it was a huge disappointment. The food was just AWFUL. Dry meat (and way too much of it), the shells wouldn't come off the shrimp, tough dumplings, absent/unfriendly servers, and irritiating entertainment. The only thing good about the meal was the bread...

We are HUGE foodies and understand some restaurants have "off days", but we will NEVER be back. It was that bad. :confused3

No offense intended but this restaurant was probably never intended for your personal taste, IMO. Dry meat is a by product of fire skewered food ... That is just the way it is. Shrimp is NEVER easy to peel (I live in the Keys and know shrimp well). Lastly, the entertainment (irritating or not) is part of the ambiance.

The overall quality of 'Ohana has deteriorated greatly as of late but I don't think you would have enjoyed it even in its heyday. That is no reflection on your taste at all, just your decision to eat at this particular restaurant.

No offense intended but this restaurant was probably never intended for your personal taste, IMO. Dry meat is a by product of fire skewered food ... That is just the way it is. Shrimp is NEVER easy to peel (I live in the Keys and know shrimp well). Lastly, the entertainment (irritating or not) is part of the ambiance.

The overall quality of 'Ohana has deteriorated greatly as of late but I don't think you would have enjoyed it even in its heyday. That is no reflection on your taste at all, just your decision to eat at this particular restaurant.

I disagree. I too, know shrimp well. Grew up in Florida and have eaten it skewered and grilled more times than I can count. It is absolutely not always hard to peel. These shells were practically adhered to the shrimp from being overcooked.

We are huge foodies (and cooks) and know food well. Dumplings should not be tough and meat should not be so dry you need a drink of water after every bite...

Every restaurant gets good, and bad, reviews at times by different people. There would not be any places to eat if we listened to all the bad reviews and didn't try things for ourselves.

We have been going to Ohana for years - it's a must do once or twice a trip - and have never been dissatisfied with food or service. We always ask for our meat done a certain way and they always comply. We absolutely love it.

Must be more people on the Dis that have negative comments than those that would post positive comments or some restaurants would not have anyone in them :confused3 I never make our ressies until 2 months out, and have to keep trying to get into Ohana. It's always booked solid, especially early when we like to eat dinner. Our next one is early Dec.

Those of you that have ressies but have never tried Ohana, don't cancel, just try it for yourselves. pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter