'Ohana at the Polynesian reopening on July 9th

And I’ve NEVER been to Disney and not ate at Ohana at least once a trip, usually twice. I’m pretty disturbed by the reopening info.

You should be. They had over a year to get this right, but instead raised prices to serve shrimp casserole and kielbasa.

Last edited:
You should be. They had over a year to get this right, but instead raised prices to serve shrimp casserole and kielbasa. Shame on Disney disrespecting the kānaka maoli. Profit over people/culture

Totally agree, and I know that ppl have voiced their displeasure at some of the other things Disney has done, and nothing has changed --- but I really think they might rethink this menu--- ( I can hope, right?)

An honest question: Do y'all complain this much when your local restaurants take something off the menu?
In all seriousness, if it was a nicer place that I paid $60+ per person and only went to once a year or so and they decided to drastically change their menu, yeah I probably would. It would also probably do me no good, but Disney does pay attention to feedback, including boards like this so you never know.

An honest question: Do y'all complain this much when your local restaurants take something off the menu?

If I loved the item, I let them know and tell them I'd love to see it come back:). If I hated it, well, then I don't say a word b/c it's good riddance. The trend of this thread seems to be that most did not hate the previous O'hana menu...

No, but then again-- they are not as pricey (well, most of them aren't) - they don't have skewers, and they dont serve shrimp casserole :)).

Since you’re still banging the drum on this..it’s not about one item being removed. It’s management slowly degrading the menu over time, while increasing the cost. It started years ago, when they removed the pork (it wasn’t replaced). Then they started sourcing lower quality meats. Now, the removed noodles, shrimp, chicken, and steak - to be replaced with fried rice, casserole, bone-in chicken, kielbasa, and a lower quality teriyaki beef.

So when a restaurant (Disney or not) continues to offer less or lower quality food, and increase the price, people have a right to complain with the hope that they reverse the decision - as they have before. Quite frankly, it’s become clear Disney is using the shutdown as an opportunity to change many menus at their restaurants - none for the better.

I prefer people show that frustration and to help improve the offerings, than people like you who seem perfectly happy bending over to them.

Even though you're just trolling, I'll answer: yes, I would and I have.
To expand on that answer though: I have a party if five whenever I go to Disney. I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble $300 plus tax and tip on Ohana being the same until I see some reviews. I'm hoping the quality of food is the same or similar as before, but I'm not going to bet on that blindly.

Since you’re still banging the drum on this..it’s not about one item being removed. It’s management slowly degrading the menu over time, while increasing the cost. It started years ago, when they removed the pork (it wasn’t replaced). Then they started sourcing lower quality meats. Now, the removed noodles, shrimp, chicken, and steak - to be replaced with fried rice, casserole, bone-in chicken, kielbasa, and a lower quality teriyaki beef.

So when a restaurant (Disney or not) continues to offer less or lower quality food, and increase the price, people have a right to complain with the hope that they reverse the decision - as they have before. Quite frankly, it’s become clear Disney is using the shutdown as an opportunity to change many menus at their restaurants - none for the better.

I prefer people show that frustration and to help improve the offerings, than people like you who seem perfectly happy bending over to them.

When something like this happens ... I just ... move on with my life. This isn't something affecting the quality of anyone's life ... at least it shouldn't be. It's a restaurant at Disney World. A little perspective is sorely needed here. There are like 10,000 other places to eat. Try one of those. I don't carry Disney's water or bend over to them. I side with realism and rationality.

This is far from "disturbing," as one hilarious overreaction put it or a malicious attempt by Disney to insult Polynesian people, as another one said. (No issues with them putting their brand name on cheap plastic Polynesian-inspired merchandise and selling it at gift shops?)

If people really care that much, they should write to Disney, not do some performative art here about how sad it is that one cheap starch side dish got replaced with another cheap starch side dish or make weird declarations that they're going to deconstruct the casserole in front of their server, pull all the shrimp out by hand then loudly ask for more to prove a point about how BIG MAD they are.

Gosh, how do people tackle real problems in life if this sort of stuff is so traumatic?

Last edited:
When something like this happens ... I just ... move on with my life. This isn't something affecting the quality of anyone's life ... at least it shouldn't be. It's a restaurant at Disney World. A little perspective is sorely needed here. There are like 10,000 other places to eat. Try one of those.

This is far from "disturbing," as one hilarious overreaction put it or a malicious attempt by Disney to insult Polynesian people, as another one said. If people really care that much, they should write to Disney, not do some performative art here about how sad it is that one cheap starch side dish got replaced with another cheap starch side dish or make weird declarations that they're going to deconstruct the casserole in front of their server, pull all the shrimp out by hand then loudly ask for more to prove a point about how BIG MAD they are.

How do people tackle real problems in life if this sort of stuff is so traumatic?

I‘m sure people have and continue to contact Disney - as they have before. This is a message board focused on Disney - What in the world do you expect? Same thing would happen on any other message board….Whether a sports team loses a big game, movement in stock prices, the finale of a big TV show..etc.

I assume you join each one to point out they shouldn’t be complaining/discussing etc..I’m sure everyone appreciates your efforts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter