Oh no my parents are headed to MK tomorrow with "those people"

Someone in my family decided to only take their 6,4,and2yr olds to Epcot. They now say they will never go back to WDW.

Whereas my cousin ONLY took her kids to Epcot, ever, until their first trip with us, because they got the Epcot after 4 FL AP. The kids liked it just fine. They’d all been visiting for years, and their oldest was 8 and youngest was 4 for our first big group trip.

Every family is different.

It's a good reason never to go with anybody. Some times, I guess, it's tough to avoid. But I'll never go with anybody outside my nuclear family.

My sister and I came to this conclusion ourselves. We even pretty much banned our husbands. Mine has never been but he is such a grump that it would be a miserable trip!! Between the lines, heat, other people and my goofy behavior, he would NOT enjoy it :). My sister's husband goes and he does, mostly, enjoy it but he can't relax and let go of work etc, etc!

You definitely need to go with someone with the same touring style!!!

OP here.
I talked to my mom last night and they said they met up with them for dinner at DS and started seeing how different their touring styles were lol.
My parents enjoy EOS but the couple wanted Planet Hollywood.
My dad got in there and said no way because it was very loud and he enjoys being able to talk but the compromised by sitting outside.

I told my mom not to let them get her down today.
She told me not to worry because she did not foresee this couple even being at the park with them most of the day.
My parents have learned the benefits of RD so they were headed there early this morning.
She thinks the other couple was pretty much just meeting for FP+ and then probably going back to the resort because that would be a "full day" for them lol.

I'm not saying everyone is like this but this couple does cruises like 5 times a year and they are just used to the eat a lot of food and drink like crazy. Last night they had to have 2 drinks each at dinner where as my parents just aren't like that.
My mom tends to feel sick if she even has 2 drinks lol.
At home my parents enjoy going out for a nice dinner once a week and last night they spent as much as they would have for a full steak dinner for just a burger and fries and it wasn't even a DISNEY experience.
These people are like the anti Disney Disney goers in my opinion.
They want to go but want nothing to do with Disney lol.

I have to laugh about the Epcot comments - taking my 8 year old there for his birthday - technology and world cultures are his 2 favorite things in the world! He is most excited about going to Japan!

My sister and I were 4 and 9 our first time and we loved Epcot. It is still our favorite park. So not all kids find it dull.

Or we were just weird.

My sister and I were 4 and 9 our first time and we loved Epcot. It is still our favorite park. So not all kids find it dull.

Or we were just weird.

Nope, not weird. I loved Epcot when I was a child, and I hope my toddler takes an interest as well. Nothing wrong with taking an interest in science and other cultures rather than just fantasy and cartoon characters. Something for everyone at Disney, and everyone does it their way, so there's no right or wrong way. If liking Epcot is weird, then I could come up with a billion other examples of weird at Disney!

Sounds like the couple have opinions about something they haven't experienced.

Let them find out how great MK is in their own way. And if they are friends, your folks' enthusiasm will probably rub off.

MK is the best part in my opinion, it has things for everyone! I think every park deserves a fair shot.

Someone in my family decided to only take their 6,4,and2yr olds to Epcot. They now say they will never go back to WDW.
Who would take kids that young to the very WORST park for preschoolers? Yowsa? That should be a "Disney" crime!

Who would take kids that young to the very WORST park for preschoolers? Yowsa? That should be a "Disney" crime!

Aw now, as a previous poster said, "Every family is different."

When my kids were 7 and 9, they told us Epcot was their favourite park. I think they would have loved it at 3 and 5, too, if we'd managed to get to the parks when they were that young. My kids were raised around libraries and museums, and they've always loved the kind of educational displays, festivals, and activities Epcot provides. Our first trip was during the Flower and Garden festival, and we could hardly pry them out of the tent full of butterflies!

You may not be keen to take a preschooler to Epcot, but I would - in a heartbeat - if they were like either of MY kids. We still have the passports they got signed and stamped in every single country.

Now, that said, I do think the previous poster's family didn't give Disney a reasonable chance. One visit to Epcot and "never again"? They were probably never really into the idea of visiting Disney and just looking for an excuse to call it, "one and done". This way, if the kids ever ask to go to Disney again, they can say, "No, you hated it. Remember?" Also, some folks take a weird kind of pride in not being "Disney people". Like it makes them smarter, more worldly or cultured or something. "Why do you want to vacation somewhere fake, when you can visit the real thing?"

Bah.

Now, that said, I do think the previous poster's family didn't give Disney a reasonable chance. One visit to Epcot and "never again"? They were probably never really into the idea of visiting Disney and just looking for an excuse to call it, "one and done". This way, if the kids ever ask to go to Disney again, they can say, "No, you hated it. Remember?" Also, some folks take a weird kind of pride in not being "Disney people". Like it makes them smarter, more worldly or cultured or something. "Why do you want to vacation somewhere fake, when you can visit the real thing?"

Bah.

I see this a lot too, even from some of our friends and family. WDW seems to be a love it or hate it vacation destination. Obviously we are on the "love it" side, but I've had a fair number of people I know call it quits after one trip. A lot of it was either due to high crowds or bad planning... or they went into it expecting not to like it but wanted to do that one-and-done trip just to say they've done it.

Dan

yeah, your story reminds me of my brother. Over the past 18 years or so we would invite him to come along and join us to WDW and his answer was always......"WDW is for kids!!!" We last year, he finally went with us and he absolutely FELL IN LOVE with WDW and each and every attraction, restaurants, the transportation,--- we took a lot of water taxi's. and he was PROVEN so wrong. He's coming to join us again the next time we go. Hope your parents' friends feel the same way.

Ok this couple is driving me over the edge now lol.
They wanted to link my parent's magic bands to THEIR account.
Um no. They are already linked to my parents account so you can't do that.
Plus my parents and the couple are already linked through friends and family.
This lady thinks she knows everything and knows nothing.
My mom called me in a panic because they couldn't get a 4th FP+ after using their first.
OMG I want this couple to leave the park so my parents aren't stressing.

Ok this couple is driving me over the edge now lol.
Um no. They are already linked to my parents account so you can't do that.
Plus my parents and the couple are already linked through friends and family.
This lady thinks she knows everything and knows nothing.
My mom called me in a panic because they couldn't get a 4th FP+ after using their first.
OMG I want this couple to leave the park so my parents aren't stressing.

I don't think your Mom COULD get a 4th FP after using her first. She would have to use 3 or have them all expire before reserving a fourth....

I don't think your Mom COULD get a 4th FP after using her first. She would have to use 3 or have them all expire before reserving a fourth....

I know. But they don't know that. That's why they were panicking because this other couple was trying to make a 4th right after using the first and surprise surprise they couldn't do it. They were about to go to a kiosk and ask why they couldn't when my mom called me.

Why?

It’s late in the game now, but having them all go to a cm to ask about it would have helped the friend understand.

And it’s sounding like they have more experience with Disney than anyone is letting on. Not necessarily correct experience, but she seems to know the lingo more than one would have expected.

I’m not sure how anyone could not want to go to MK.

I'm in complete agreement with you! I took a girl to Disneyland, since she had never been before. The whole time she was saying, "that's so cute for kids!" or "that so much fun for children!" She admitted later that it wasn't really her favorite place. We went on one more date afterwards but that was pretty much it.

I know. But they don't know that. That's why they were panicking because this other couple was trying to make a 4th right after using the first and surprise surprise they couldn't do it. They were about to go to a kiosk and ask why they couldn't when my mom called me.

Oh, my bad. That would be annoying for your parents. Maybe they are spies...from Universal...trying to sprinkle anti-pixie dust everywhere with their demeanor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter