Offsite- Never Again!!!!

Again, the whole onsite is always better because...

There are advantages ONLY offiste can give. And it's not about the money. Yes, we are saving a few dollars, but it's more about the perks that I actually use vs the onsite ones I don't. Here are just a few-

1. Driveway right in front of the house- no dragging sleeping children halfway across a resort, or down one of the endless hallways at BWV.

2. 4 bedrooms- no DVC does that...

3. Private pool and hot tub

4. Kitchen- I don't want to go out for breakfast every single day, and I prefer real eggs, not powdered with bacon that actually resembles a pork product and real coffee not nescrappe' and in the evening we enjoy a bit of wine, cheese, fruit, maybe a baguette- not easy to come by in the resort shop or the food court.

There are more, but for me, at least for family trips, I go offsite because it makes for a much more relaxing, enjoyable vacation for us. My DH was actually becoming a dis-hater because of the whole hotel vibe- and some decidedly non magical experiences at POR a couple trips ago. Now, he's merely Dis-resistant. I'm gaining ground because we can actually spread out and relax. The kids sleep better, we're not trying to check email in the dark while stubbing out toes on the beds, etc.

Actually, I'd love to cruise on DCL one of these days. Oh well. Maybe when I win the lottery....

It is do-able!

#1 Tip: Book the 1st day DCL releases new dates/prices, even if years ahead. From there, prices only go up, very rarely down or have specials. Sometimes prices have gone up by several thousand by the time it sails. It's not like a land vacation where you can easily book something 3 months in advance. By then, everyone has paid in full and it's slim pickens for cabin selection. What's left is very expensive.

Usually every fall DCL releases another year of dates. Rumor has it that in Oct, 2013 dates/prices will become available to be booked. Gives you 2 years to save & make payments. Once onboard our 1st cruise, I rebooked onboard to get 10% discount and a $200 stateroom credit plus my TA adds another $200 credit. Even if I book a date I know I can't sail, once they release new dates, on day one I move it to the date I want, and the onboard booking perks move with it. (Even if you changed your mind and decide to cancel, all deposits are 100% refundable as long as you cancel before the final payment due date; usually 75 days prior to sailing. So really nothing to lose by booking early and lots of savings to gain.)

#2 Tip: If there's any way you can sail while school is in session, you'll save a lot. We book around a long weekend/teachers' inservice in Nov. Fall is very off-peak time in the cruising world. (Well, Sept is Jewish holidays; our kids get a 4-day weekend. Easter, I admit, is more expensive than our usual fall sailings.)

#3 Tip: Keep in mind, food & non-alc. drinks are included. I'm not talking the dining plan. This is unlimited food & drinks almost anytime. Any spending you do onboard is optional. On our last 3 nt cruise, (just dh & I) our final bill was only $20, using our TA credits for gratuities. ;)

Check out the cruise boards and they will give you lots of info to get started.

Really, it makes WDW parks feel like work. The service is over the top. Our dining room servers keep our table reserved and pull out our chairs for us when we arrive. They call us by our names and ask you how our day was. They cut my son's meat and crack his lobster. When he asks for ketchup, they put some on a side plate in the shape of a Mickey head instead of handing him a sticky bottle that everyone has handled. There are no prices on the menu and if you have trouble deciding between 2 entrees, they bring you both to try.
Then say things like, "We want this vacation to exceed your every expectation. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you."
By the end of the week, we have become friends. Also 10x the character interaction you get in any park.:wizard:

I could go on & on but it's just a heavenly slice of Disney magic. :cloud9:
We work like dogs so we can keep cruising. :lmao:

It is do-able!

#1 Tip: Book the 1st day DCL releases new dates/prices, even if years ahead. From there, prices only go up, very rarely down or have specials. Sometimes prices have gone up by several thousand by the time it sails. It's not like a land vacation where you can easily book something 3 months in advance. By then, everyone has paid in full and it's slim pickens for cabin selection. What's left is very expensive.

Usually every fall DCL releases another year of dates. Rumor has it that in Oct, 2013 dates/prices will become available to be booked. Gives you 2 years to save & make payments. Once onboard our 1st cruise, I rebooked onboard to get 10% discount and a $200 stateroom credit plus my TA adds another $200 credit. Even if I book a date I know I can't sail, once they release new dates, on day one I move it to the date I want, and the onboard booking perks move with it. (Even if you changed your mind and decide to cancel, all deposits are 100% refundable as long as you cancel before the final payment due date; usually 75 days prior to sailing. So really nothing to lose by booking early and lots of savings to gain.)

#2 Tip: If there's any way you can sail while school is in session, you'll save a lot. We book around a long weekend/teachers' inservice in Nov. Fall is very off-peak time in the cruising world. (Well, Sept is Jewish holidays; our kids get a 4-day weekend. Easter, I admit, is more expensive than our usual fall sailings.)

#3 Tip: Keep in mind, food & non-alc. drinks are included. I'm not talking the dining plan. This is unlimited food & drinks almost anytime. Any spending you do onboard is optional. On our last 3 nt cruise, (just dh & I) our final bill was only $20, using our TA credits for gratuities. ;)

Check out the cruise boards and they will give you lots of info to get started.

Really, it makes WDW parks feel like work. The service is over the top. Our dining room servers keep our table reserved and pull out our chairs for us when we arrive. They call us by our names and ask you how our day was. They cut my son's meat and crack his lobster. When he asks for ketchup, they put some on a side plate in the shape of a Mickey head instead of handing him a sticky bottle that everyone has handled. There are no prices on the menu and if you have trouble deciding between 2 entrees, they bring you both to try.
Then say things like, "We want this vacation to exceed your every expectation. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you."
By the end of the week, we have become friends. Also 10x the character interaction you get in any park.:wizard:

I could go on & on but it's just a heavenly slice of Disney magic. :cloud9:
We work like dogs so we can keep cruising. :lmao:

Thank you for this outstanding post!!!! I've e-mailed myself your tips.

Thank you for this outstanding post!!!! I've e-mailed myself your tips.

:thumbsup2 :cool1: :yay: :woohoo:

Oh, I forgot to mention.... free room service (most items)
Ds11 can call anytime to order Mickey ice cream bars, a doughnut, a bowl of cereal, choc milk.

When I order my pot of morning coffee, they call me on the phone 10 mins after it arrives & ask, "Mrs. B*******, we're calling to see if your order is to your satisfaction. Was everything ok?"
:lovestruc

The Dream & Fantasy are selling very well, much more than anticipated, so if prices are high, check out the Magic or Wonder. They are not brand new, but still very beautiful ships, very well-maintained, and an awesome cruise experience. Example: our Nov 2012 7-nt cruise on the Fantasy would be $1300 less if we sailed on the Magic instead. (comparing fam of 4, both in cheapest inside cabin avail today) We have patiently waited years for the new ships so we won't be switching this time.

7 nt cruises include a character breakfast. :goodvibes

There are advantages ONLY offiste can give.
There are no 4BR homes at any DVC resort, and none of them have private pools. But, you can park directly in front of your unit at OKW or the Ft. Wilderness cabins, and any of the DVC villas have kitchens as do the cabins.

What I meant was the clues pointed to the fact that this is a teenager telling everyone how horrific the offsite stay was and how far superior the onsite is when chances are they aren't the one footing the bill.

Maybe I was beating around the bush too much? Sometimes subtle innuendo is lost on people.

Not a teenager and did help with footing the bill, by the way. Yep, I'm the mom, she's my ADULT daughter, and we HATED the one night we were offsite. Bottom line: stay away from the Safari!

Onsite is for some and offsite for others. Our one single night offsite is enough for us to NEVER do it again. If I can't afford at least a value, it's a no go. To each their own.

Finally, and most importantly, participating in the WDWCP and being 1 JB fan does not equal spoiled! Both my girls are far from that. We scrimp and save and do without to get our trips to WDW. I'm a widow and have been for 17 years, left with no insurance, nothing. FAR, FAR from spoiled.

We are done now. :hippie:

I stayed in the Sheraton Safari in December. My room, and the common areas, where clean. maintained. no real issues.

The hotel accepts pets. I think guests with pets wind up in specific floors in specific wing. I wonder if the OP was assigned a room in that part of the hotel.

The hotel was exactly what I expected, actually a little better.

The whole offsite onsite debate , is never going to please everyone, as some peoples advantages with be others disadvantages.

For us we see it as an evolution

Offsite Hotel
Disney Moderate Hotel
Disney Deluxe Hotel
DVC Hotel
Offsite Villa

We would never go back to an offsite hotel again, its just not for us, there are no advantages that we could see.

The Disney moderates (CBR and POR) were great theming, and we liked the areas, but the walk to everything was horific, even learning the first time around and asking for a particular building didn't make it much better. Easily a 5 minute walk to a bus stop, and longer to the food court. Snacks and Drinks at the food court required there own mortgage.

During one of our visits we stayed at AKL, and we found the theming way too dark, but the savannah view was worth it until sitting out in the evening, when the flies and smell were really bad.

During this time, our kids were getting older, and staying in a single hotel room, as not our idea of a holiday, so we bought into DVC, and spent a number of years staying at BCV, which we liked the location, the room size (2bed) etc, however, it wasn't quite ideal. All the family would need to go out together as the kids were still not old enough to leave alone or go out on their own. packing for the pool was an ordeal, Mugs, Sun Cream, Reading material, Phone plus anything else required only to find that all the sun loungers were taken, or no loungers with shade available.

We then stayed in a villa, and the independence it gives you is unbelievable. The kids can be a sleep early in the morning or late and night, and you can go for a swim. Nothing to pack, 100% sure a sun lounger will be available. Need a drink - again no issues just nip inside to grab one from the refrigerator. I don't like sitting in the sun for long then there is always the lanai to spend some time under, again if still too warm then i'll just put the fans on. Being so close to the pool means I can still chat to everyone around the pool. Having a glass of wine whilst sitting in the spa late at night is just bliss.
If you want to go out, the car is right there on the driveway, so no endless coridors, or massive hotel car park to find the car in.

Staying in the Formosa Gardens area will beat a bus from a disney hotel to the disney parks most of the time, even at park closing when the traffic can get bad, I would prefer to be stuck in traffic in a cool car, than waiting at a bus stop extremely hot.

We still stay at DVC property but its usually only for a 3 or 4 nights, but nothing will now pull us away from staying in a villa. We now even rent villas/homes when going on vacation much closer to home.

Paul

We have stayed several times now, off-site, on-site, and off site home rental. OP I do agree that it is a little dramatic and silly to paint all off site hotels with the same brush as one bad stay and one night at that.

In my own opinion, each has it's own merit depending on the situation. If you were to ask me my top pic 10 years ago, it would have been on site - hands down. Well those darling little boys are huge men who take up a lot of room, like to outlet shop and have a late night dip in their own pool. Guess what??? For our situation right now, a home rental is the best bet and we wouldn't consider anything else.

btw my neighbour just got back from Windsor Hills, 3 bdrm condo for $89.00 taxes in. It was her first off site and first visit since her children were little and she is raving about it.

We would never go back to an offsite hotel again, its just not for us, there are no advantages that we could see.
For a family traveling with kids, I agree with you 100%.

For a solo traveler or an adult couple, I think you can make a case for the set of properties that provide "true deluxe" service---e.g. the Ritz Carlton. These places provide impeccable service and extremely well-appointed rooms, both surpassing anything that Disney offers, and typically at a rate well under a Disney "Deluxe" during the same time period. Likewise, you can probably also make a decent argument for the better "business class" hotels which are more comparable to, but much less expensive than, the Disney "Deluxes". The Swan and Dolphin are good examples.

Even if one was comparing apples to apples, you are looking at a hotel that goes for $70 in peak summer season as compared to a value that goes for $125 on property. In the end, you get what you pay for.

We stayed for one night at Sheraton Safari. We were checking in real late (12:30 am) for one night before a short onsite stay at Pop. It was okay, but nothing to write home about. It was a place to sleep for a few hours before we had to check out. I think we burned up what few Starwood points we had since we don't usually stay in Starwood properties. That said, Pop wasn't much to write home about, and I really don't understand why it is so hugely popular.

Wow. We will never, ever, ever stay offsite again. We stayed for one night at the Sheraton Safari and wow...Disney never, EVER lets their hotels/resorts fall into disrepair like the Sheraton was. Honestly, we were scared every time we were on the elevator because it was so old. The carpet was worn, everything was peeling..eww. So totally not worth the 50ish dollars saved. Not to mention, it took us about thirty minutes to get to the Subway which should have taken us 5-10 minutes. Horrible traffic, and not to mention no access to EMHs. Several times we passed by the line for the Ferry to/from TTC/MK...heck no. We will pay our extra money to get clean beautiful rooms and to be immensed in the Disney theming 24/7. Offsite is definitely not our cup of tea. In fact, we've decided that the only exception for us with staying "offsite" would be to stay at the Swaolphin (Swan/Dolphin), since it is technically on property, has Disney transport, EMHs, and is not in disrepair. I honestly don't see how those of you who stay offsite do it. The one night we did offsite was horrible and almost too much to bear. Only onsite for us!

Um do you read TripAdvisor? Reviews of that place are not good in general. I wouldn't stay there based on that.

I LOVE staying offsite. We save lots $$ and the Wyndham Bonnet Creek is just as nice a room as the moderates and way better a deal than a value.

Please don't think because you picked a bad hotel that all offsite properties are just as bad. I mean, you could stay at the Waldorf. I am sure that is lots better than the Safari!

It has been established that OP is a teenager; she has much to learn from the world, but sounds like a genuinely nice kid. Hey she's a Disney fan, what's not to like??? :confused3

Post would have made more sense in the hotels review section, but OP didn't know.

Hey mods, what do you say we lock this puppy up. Can't feel great for Keypooh to keep having people continuously tell her how wrong she is. I think by now she realizes that there are many wonderful offsite locations. :hippie:

Not a teenager and did help with footing the bill, by the way. Yep, I'm the mom, she's my ADULT daughter, and we HATED the one night we were offsite. Bottom line: stay away from the Safari!

Onsite is for some and offsite for others. Our one single night offsite is enough for us to NEVER do it again. If I can't afford at least a value, it's a no go. To each their own.

Finally, and most importantly, participating in the WDWCP and being 1 JB fan does not equal spoiled! Both my girls are far from that. We scrimp and save and do without to get our trips to WDW. I'm a widow and have been for 17 years, left with no insurance, nothing. FAR, FAR from spoiled.

We are done now. :hippie:

How brave of you to come to your adult daughters aid to clear that up.

No not spoiled, 19 trips and counting! In all those trips your 1 night off site has given you valuable insight to come on here and comment and set the rest of us straight in the error of our ways.

How brave of you to come to your adult daughters aid to clear that up.

No not spoiled, 19 trips and counting! In all those trips your 1 night off site has given you valuable insight to come on here and comment and set the rest of us straight in the error of our ways.

That's what I was thinking--the "adult child" comes on here to school us on our ignorance, then has to have Mommy race to her defense when people point out that her experience is limited. That just doesn't scream mature and independent to me, sorry. Here's hoping that a few years on her own will open her eyes to the idea of respecting different choices.

As to the onsite/offsite debate, I've said it a gazillion times, but it really depends on the size and desires of the travelling party. Our family has evolved, both in size and vacationing style, exactly as psharrock said. A group of 4 or less who does commando touring might be better onsite. A larger, more relaxed group is highly likely to be better off staying in an offsite rental.

I for one can think of a lot of stunning off site properties that make the values look like slums.
Also when it's only 2 of you, space isn't such an issue. We love staying in condos & pools homes off site, but onsite is nice for short trips too. Nothing carved in stone.

Isn't adult-Jonas Brothers Freak an oxymoron?:confused3

What I meant was the clues pointed to the fact that this is a teenager telling everyone how horrific the offsite stay was and how far superior the onsite is when chances are they aren't the one footing the bill.

Maybe I was beating around the bush too much? Sometimes subtle innuendo is lost on people.

I'm confused? Why does that matter? EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion about their stay whether they paid for the room or not. So we shouldn't listen to this poster simply because they are teenagers? Sorry I think a teenager can give a valid opinion about a hotel room. It doesn't make them ungrateful or silly it's just their opinion.

"I honestly don't see how those of you who stay offsite do it."

I think it was this line that caused a reaction. OP went beyond giving her opinion on a hotel. She criticized the choices others here have made. Initially most people responded to her politely, but she continued to belittle offsite options. For instance, when I told her about the Disney-themed townhome I stayed in, she referred to it as "some townhome" in a demeaning way. No big deal, but it is rude. Most people would have more respect for her opinions if she had some experience to back them up AND expressed those opinions more politely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter