Offsite first night??

Mandak22

Earning My Ears
We're going to Disney the last week in July and staying the first night off site. We're trying to figure out the best/easiest offsite option and need help. It will be a trip with myself, my sister, our three kids (7-13 years old) and our mom, so we will probably need 2 rooms, unless we can find a suite with 3 beds, mom is paying and she's willing to shell out a little bit more but is definitely looking for the easiest option since there's six of us and she's used to just traveling with 2 people. Our first option is the easiest (but probably most expensive) staying at the hotel on the airport grounds, and taking the magical express. The second is the Courtyard by the airport that has a shuttle, and we can take it back and forth and take the magical express in the morning. The third is where I need help/options. I thought about a resort by Disney Springs. Is there a resort close by that has an airport shuttle, and a shuttle to Disney? Will it take us to one of the parks (Magic Kingdom) and we can walk/ride the monorail with our luggage and check-in? Or can we even have it take us to the Contemporary? Is this even possible? We're going to Epcot for our first day, so we'll possibly have a little more time than if we were doing Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom, but we defiantly want the easiest and quickest seeing as we have a teenager who enjoys sleep.

We're going to Disney the last week in July and staying the first night off site. We're trying to figure out the best/easiest offsite option and need help. It will be a trip with myself, my sister, our three kids (7-13 years old) and our mom, so we will probably need 2 rooms, unless we can find a suite with 3 beds, mom is paying and she's willing to shell out a little bit more but is definitely looking for the easiest option since there's six of us and she's used to just traveling with 2 people. Our first option is the easiest (but probably most expensive) staying at the hotel on the airport grounds, and taking the magical express. The second is the Courtyard by the airport that has a shuttle, and we can take it back and forth and take the magical express in the morning. The third is where I need help/options. I thought about a resort by Disney Springs. Is there a resort close by that has an airport shuttle, and a shuttle to Disney? Will it take us to one of the parks (Magic Kingdom) and we can walk/ride the monorail with our luggage and check-in? Or can we even have it take us to the Contemporary? Is this even possible? We're going to Epcot for our first day, so we'll possibly have a little more time than if we were doing Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom, but we defiantly want the easiest and quickest seeing as we have a teenager who enjoys sleep.
I don't believe there are any free hotel shuttles from airport to Disney Springs hotels.

You can get a Mears shuttle ($20 odd per person) from airport to hotel.

The other alternative is to take the LYNX #111 airport express bus from MCO airport. (ground floor terminal side A, leaves every 30 minutes), ($2 per person)

1. make sure to ask for the free transfer ticket.
2. This will take around 50 minutes to get to sea world.
3. You will then get off the #111 and transfer onto the #50 bus which has stops at the Disney Springs hotels (you have to pull the rope) and Disney Spring and Disney TTC. (This takes maybe 20 minutes from Sea World to Disney Springs)

Most of the Disney Springs hotels have a shuttle to Disney TTC and then you could take a monorail to Contemporary.
Or the LYNX bus also stops at TTC and then take monorail to Contemporary.

The Disney Springs resorts, and all other non-Disney-owned resorts in the area, do not offer free airport shuttles and their resort-to-theme-park shuttles are not intended for people with luggage. Neither is the Disney monorail. If you stay at a Disney Springs hotel, expect to pay for your transportation (Uber/Lyft/taxi, etc.) to that hotel and then from that hotel to the Contemporary. Mears has vans and limos that seat 8. There are, I believe other companies that could also accommodate a group your size. You may be too big a group for Uber/Lyft/taxi.

I believe Mears shared-ride shuttle service has been suspended due to Covid.

I don't like the Lynx bus idea if you're travelling with three kids and luggage.

Last edited:
Why not stay in two rooms at a value resort on Disney property?

however, if the plan is NOT to do anything that first day/night at any Disney park, then the easiest is to stay at the hotel at the airport and then take ME out first thing in the morning, drop off luggage at the hotel, then go to the parks.

all of you don’t have to get on ME together, so if someone wants to sleep in later, have one adult stay with the kids and two adults take ME with all the luggage to drop off at the Disney resort.

The Disney Springs resorts, and all other non-Disney-owned resorts in the area, do not offer free airport shuttles and their resort-to-theme-park shuttles are not intended for people with luggage. Neither is the Disney monorail. If you stay at a Disney Springs hotel, expect to pay for your transportation (Uber/Lyft/taxi, etc.) to that hotel and then from that hotel to the Contemporary. Mears has vans and limos that seat 8. There are, I believe other companies that could also accommodate a group your size. You may be too big a group for Uber/Lyft/taxi.

I believe Mears shared-ride shuttle service has been suspended due to Covid.

I don't like the Lynx bus idea if you're travelling with three kids and luggage.

If we do the uber/lyft/taxi we were going to account for 2 cars. 5 girls for a week means more luggage, plus room to bring home stuff. I'm thinking the airport hotel or after I posted this I did look up an all-star resort and it's cheaper/same price than the airport hotel.

Why not stay in two rooms at a value resort on Disney property?

however, if the plan is NOT to do anything that first day/night at any Disney park, then the easiest is to stay at the hotel at the airport and then take ME out first thing in the morning, drop off luggage at the hotel, then go to the parks.

all of you don’t have to get on ME together, so if someone wants to sleep in later, have one adult stay with the kids and two adults take ME with all the luggage to drop off at the Disney resort.

After I posted this, I did think about a value resort, it looks like it's the same price of the airport hotel which my mom was leaning towards for simplicity. Our flight gets in at 8pm so we're looking at a late hotel arrival. I'm not paying, but was told to gather all the options so we could vote, but my vote is always to get to Disney as soon as we can!

If we do the uber/lyft/taxi we were going to account for 2 cars. 5 girls for a week means more luggage, plus room to bring home stuff. I'm thinking the airport hotel or after I posted this I did look up an all-star resort and it's cheaper/same price than the airport hotel.
An extra bonus at all star is they can move your luggage to the other resort for you. That’s a big help with logistical planning.

After I posted this, I did think about a value resort, it looks like it's the same price of the airport hotel which my mom was leaning towards for simplicity. Our flight gets in at 8pm so we're looking at a late hotel arrival. I'm not paying, but was told to gather all the options so we could vote, but my vote is always to get to Disney as soon as we can!

I vote for airport hotel then. While 1-2 value rooms might be nice, then you will have the issue of getting your luggage moved from one hotel to the other and yes, Disney does take care of that, but it may still be a hassle.

The Courtyard Is super close; I stayed at a hotel across the street once (think it was a Rennaissance?). Shuttle would be convenient, then you can do ME in the morning. That would be simple IMHO.

I have had plenty of late night flights coming in and just stay at the hotel at Disney that I am going to stay at for the rest of the trip. By the time you factor in transportation, changing hotels, all the time wasted moving hotels, the pain in the butt logistics that you are dealing with now, it's better to just get another night at your original hotel. You won't be able to go to the parks, but you can use that evening to unpack, settle in, check out the hotel and then be ready to go the next morning of your trip. That way you are not wasting several hours of your first full day changing hotels. To me, it is not worth the little bit of money you might be saving compared to the hassle and time lost from your vacation.

We've had good experiences (when arriving late) spending that first night at the Hyatt in the airport terminal. Their advance purchase/member rate is usually around $165. The most beds you'll find in a room are two queens and they do have connecting rooms (though sometimes it's tough to guarantee them.)

Unfortunately, because there are six of you and you're only going to stay one night, you're going to pay over $400 for a Friday or Saturday night for 2 rooms at the All Stars.

Two rooms at the Hyatt Regency is going to cost a similar price.

Since you "mom is paying and she's willing to shell out a little bit more but is definitely looking for the easiest option", getting a couple of rooms at the All Star. This way, you can use Disney's Magic Express to get to WDW (and not have to pay for a shuttle), and then have Disney transfer the luggage for you.

Where are you staying for the rest of your trip? Can't you just get one more night there?

Unfortunately, because there are six of you and you're only going to stay one night, you're going to pay over $400 for a Friday or Saturday night for 2 rooms at the All Stars.

Two rooms at the Hyatt Regency is going to cost a similar price.

Since you "mom is paying and she's willing to shell out a little bit more but is definitely looking for the easiest option", getting a couple of rooms at the All Star. This way, you can use Disney's Magic Express to get to WDW (and not have to pay for a shuttle), and then have Disney transfer the luggage for you.

Where are you staying for the rest of your trip? Can't you just get one more night there?
If you stay at the Hyatt Regency MCO you can still take Magical Express the next morning (if that's what you reserve)...I've done it multiple times.

If you stay at the Hyatt Regency MCO you can still take Magical Express the next morning (if that's what you reserve)...I've done it multiple times.
Yes but the cost of the Hyatt Regency MCO is roughly the same as the All Star.

If someone asked me would I rather wake up at the airport or at the All Stars, I know what my answer would be. :)

Have you considered Swan or Dolphin? Walking distance to Epcot in the morning, or a ride on the Friendship Boat. You will have to retrieve your luggage and get it to your Disney hotel, but they'd store it for you at the bell station for the day.

Have you considered Swan or Dolphin? Walking distance to Epcot in the morning, or a ride on the Friendship Boat. You will have to retrieve your luggage and get it to your Disney hotel, but they'd store it for you at the bell station for the day.
The issue with any non-Disney hotel is that they have to pay to get there, and then still deal with transferring from that hotel to wherever they are staying onsite.

It seems the options are to either stay at the airport and take DME in the morning, or stay onsite for 1 night and leave the luggage with Disney to transfer in the morning.

I would stay near the airport in two rooms. There are suite hotels nearby, but 6 people are just too many. You'd be miserable.

You would also save money by getting a free breakfast in addition to saving with the free Magical Express ride.

Add all the savings and you would likely save hundreds over a Disney value.

I dont know where you are staying the rest of the vacation. Do you want to stay offsite because of the price of the hotel or because an extra night is not available?
Seems like a lot of moving around. I'm mean it will take some time to from the airport hotel back to the airport to catch another bus to the resort. Does not sound fun with kids and luggage.
See if a family suite is available at AoA they will move your luggage to your main disney resort and you can take the skyliner to Epcot. You are on vacation dont spend it on buses and waiting around to catch them.

Double Tree Suite by Hilton Orlando - Disney Springs area.. is a great place for a party of 6... Our friends always stay here when they come... they like it because they can spread out and the price is always good...

I have a suggestion on the transportation... Have you thought about a private car route... as well you can request one stop to pick up drinks, and snacks if you like. it might work out the same as the cost of using the DME or Uber/Lyft...Then use Uber the next morning to get to your Disney Resort...

We have used Uber with a party of 6 before... it was a big van that picked us up,... plenty of room for us and the luggage... my friend booked it ahead of time... and it worked out great...

I'm guilty of placing too much value in saving money and not enough value in saving time and convenience.
  1. Consider sucking it up and adding the first night at your already booked resort. I don't know how much $$$,it might not make sense.
  2. Disney value will make life easier, particularly the next morning. Negative is $ and the how long it will take DME to get you to a value first night.
  3. Stay at an airport hotel, Hyatt may be overpriced. BUT skip DME the next am. Do you want to schlep luggage from drop off point to DME, wait then bus tour of Disney. Airport hotel shuttles typically pick you up on demand but the shuttle back to MCO is scheduled every 30 minutes. Wait for shuttle to MCO, schlep luggage, wait for DME checkin, bus then trip.
  4. I'd consider booking a car service from your airport hotel to your resort. CALL for pricing. At one time pickups at hotels weren't subject to airport fee. A lot more convenient. You'll save at least an hour, maybe 2.
  5. You decide to take DME but change your mind. Ask at your hotel if they can get you a flat rate van large enough for your group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter