• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Officially "Disneyed out"!!!!!!!

S

susy

It's true!!!! I don't know how to explain it, but DH and I have been looking into other vacation options.

I think our last trip (to PC) did it for us....

You do learn something new every trip and here's what we learned....
-We prefer a deluxe resort (totally spoiled by WL)
- We can only tolerate the parks for a few hours and that's it! On our next trip, I don't care if we go to the parks at all.
-We have to stay at least three nights. Two was not enough-but five was too much.
-I need to feel pampered. A massage or breakfast in bed might do it.
-I really missed turndown at PC.

Have any of you "changed" your vacationing style over the years.

We even considered cancelling the BC in May in favor of the Cheeca Lodge (in the Keys) over the 4th of July...

I can truly say I'm not there yet....even my last trip of15days didn't make we waiver.....

I'm ready to go back today...except I have to wait until next Dec....that is the longest I've gone without a trip in the last 6 years.....

Nope! We went end of May, then DH and I had alone trip in Oct., then we all went T'giving, then we just got back Sunday from a quick weekend trip.:D BUT, we have stayed Deluxe most of the time and Moderate one of those AND we plan one special thing each visit. Sunday we did CRT for DD's b'day-that was very special and worth the trip. We are going in late March for 2 nights and DH and DS are going to a Braves Spring Training Game. We will eat at one new place too. We did 4 nights last May, and 2 each of the other and it works great for us. We get there early enough the first day and leave late enough the last that it is almost like 3 days. We find shorter, more frequent trips the best. And we LOVE trying new resorts.
Try an alone trip with DH. It REALLY puts WDW in a new light and brings special memories for the 2 of you. We went on a weekday while the kids were in school so we knew they were busy and where they needed to be. :D And no crowds for us!
We have had something magical happen each trip also, that certainly helps! :cool:

I could see making the trip without a park visit. There is so much more to do in WDW. We enjoy relaxing there now although we wouldnt get by without going to the parks, that is with kids in tow. Take a break from it, go somewhere else, Mickey want mind.::MickeyMo

Suzy:
We went on a yearly vacation to WDW from 1995 thru 2000...after that last trip, we too felt "burned out" on Disney. Took a cruise one year, beach vacation the next and did a family reunion last year. This year we are back at Disney, excited to see all the new attractions and changes. Sometimes a break is all you need to "reignite" the excitement..........

While we're not burned out on Disney, we are changing our vacation habits. When we go this summer, we won't be as hurried. We've been 4 times in the past 5 years. We'll be spending more time at our resort, using the pool. A little mini-golf. Yes, we'll still be visiting the parks, but not for 10 hrs at a time. We're planning on visiting Vero Beach next year. THere's a lot to do besides the parks. But, I don't think we could go and not do the parks at all!!!

It has not happened to me yet... Although next trip, I think I might like to stay a couple of nights at Universal at Portofino I have only gone to Universal once and I was not impressed the time I went.. I would like to give it another chance.. but the bulk of my time would be at WDW.

DH comes home that way EVERYTIME. I'll even admit the last day or so of my trip I'm ready to just come back home. After our last trip (11/03) DH SWORE we wouldn't go back for at least a full year preferably not until the end of 2005. Well look at my counter. It didn't happen. We are all excited again. For us, it was the Christmas Day parade that made us long to be back even though we thought we'd had enough!!

Hi everyone I'm new here at the boards and not very computer savvy but thought I would give it a try. I can't imagine being Disneyed out. We leave in 21 days for OKW, our fifth year in a row. I would go every few months if I could. My husband,friends and coworkers think I am nuts- even if you offer people advice on HOW TO DO DISNEY and fit it all in, they don't want to hear it. Their loss. I wish I could figure out my counter. I'll have to ask DH to look at it later. Also how do you view your posts and replys after?

Have a great day, Linda

I got burned out on my last trip. It was January 2003, and I was too through with Disney.

'Round about June, the urges came back. My fiancée and I are now planning our honeymoon there.

We can't WAIT! :)

I also have felt the Disney burnout........I think it is very hard once you have gone deluxe to go back to moderate much less value resorts......especially when you consider the amount you are paying for a "moderate" resort at Disney and what that amount would buy you in another vacation destination.........For a few years felt I had to go every year with the kids, but now realizing that very little changes year to year and what has changed lately is not necessarily for the better.......I also wonder if the kids shouldn't be seeing more of this country/world then Disney year after year.......I'm a huge Disney fan but am disappointed in the moves Disney is making and wondering if I'm just caught in a repetitive cycle believing the kids liked it let's go back!!! But in reality the kids would probably also love any vacation to a warm fun spot as long as the whole family is together and relaxed............and for the ridiculous climbing amount Disney charges you could have a two week vacation elsewhere for the cost of one week at Disney........

I think after this June trip we're going to try one trip in 2005 at Hilton Head just for a little break. I'm not Disneyied out, but since I'm DVC, I don't want to get that way either. I'll will have put three trips on this AP I have now and I don't think I'll renew it in June. Skip a year then buy a new one probably.

Not burned out yet, but we've def. changed our way of "doing Disney" over the years. We don't spend every day of our stay in the parks, take loooong breaks in the afternoon, enjoying the resort pool and other things outside of the parks. I know I'm not going to see everything in the parks when I'm there, and that's ok, I like to tour laid back, stop and smell the roses. It feels more like a vacation now. Enjoy your break, that Disney magic will be there when you're ready!:wizard:

I thought I would add that we do other vacations too:D ! Beach, cruises, DC, Europe, etc. You do need to do other things. But when you have a Seasonal Pass and live in FL, short little trips are nice getaways. SO, if you are not going anywhere but WDW, you may want to look into other destinations. We have also found that most of our other trips hotels costs MORE than WDW resorts. Staying on the Beach or in major cities is not cheap and we never think the hotels are as nice (always comparing;) ). But we also enjoy doing other things. We will take a 6 month-1 year break after our SP's expire end of May. Lots of new rides will be opening next year!:D

I think it is very easy to become "Disneyed out" if the parks are the focus of your trips time after time. A few years ago I stayed at BWV in a 1 bedroom with my best friend and although we did go the the parks it was minimal.Interspersed with park days were days we lounged around the pool or shopped , then had a spa treatment in the late afternoon before a leisurely dinner at Flying Fish. You are right, once you go deluxe, very hard to go back!!! Our upcoming trip is for 17 nights , many of our days will be spend in a very leisurely fashion. I think when you you WDW as a complete resort instead of having the parks be the entire thing it allows you to truly relax and enjoy what WDW has to offer. An example..........arrival day at the Grand Floridian (first stay here!!) lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe and R&R around the fabulous pool. Early evening we are headed over to the spa for "A Peaceful Nights Bath" where we will have aromatherapy baths surrounded by candles!! Back to our lagoon view room for a room service dinner. I will never want to leave and when I do there will be a serious case of PDD (post Disney depression).Sorry so long!!::MinnieMo

Not yet, we're leaving in 2 weeks, staying at WL,. This is our 11 trip in three years. If it hasn't happen yet, it probably won't.:p

If you read the signature line, you can see we make frequent trips to WDW from CT. At the end of this AP I think we will have 6 trips in one calendar year. (One was for a conference for me, but the family certainly enjoyed the parks).

After our long Christmas adventure (10 days), I was wondering why we had chosen to use some free airfare to plan an extravagant weekend in WDW for my 50 something birthday. Then about two weeks before the trip, I started to feel more like going, and looking forward to staying at POR for the first time since Christmas 98. We added in a carriage ride as "something new and special." And when there wasn't time for everything on a long weekend our mantra became "There's always April."

I like to try different resorts at WDW, and in April we're camping at FW again--always a family favorite.

We do have plans to go to Cape Cod this summer and to camp at a favorite family campground in NH in July, but we'll be back in the World before those APs expire.

I completely understand. We're planning a big trip at the end of 05 for my 30th, and I was thinking that would be too long to wait. Last week I booked a short stay in May and now I think that I may cancel. It's not that I don't love WDW, but I think I'd like to do something different. We're considering a short cruise instead. If I do cancel this trip in May, it will be 2 years between trips. I know that the excitement will start to build again by then!

Erin :D

Ok very funny. Jokes on us right?
That's like George Bailey wishing he'd never been born. Can't happen...Not gonna do it!
I suggest you seek counseling and maybe some therapy. We don't wanna lose you.
Snap out of it.

:crazy:

Disneyed out???? umm, no.

I have been disneyed out for a few days here and there, but by the time I get back home and go back to work for a week, I could go again. I have approx 17 Disney CDs. I usually listen to them on my way home in the afternoon. And I regularly visit the DIS boards ;)

I stayed in the contemporary resort when I was a teenager. There was no such thing as a moderate or value at that time. I don't really have any great desire to go back other than for chef Mickey's or the California Grille. There are only two Deluxes that even interest my wife and I. The Poly and the AKL. We visited the Grand Floridian for about 5 minutes. My wife HATED it. We have stayed in AS-Mo and AS-Sp and find the values more to our style. We actually do not like to be "pampered". The thought of a Spa is more like torture for us. We'd rather be side by side reading a book, or sharing a hot tub. When we travel (we've been in 33 states so far) we frequently have a "no chain restaurant" and "no chain hotel" rule. We call them our "taste of America" trips. We want to see and do, not sit and be pampered, not a bad thing, just not us. Some people absolutely love that stuff. That being said I have my eye on Poly or AKL for an anniversary trip for just my wife and I some Christmas season :).

My big beef with Disney is that unless you have a extremely small family (only 2 kids) you are hosed. Most of our friends have 4 or more. We only have 4 kids and we have to get 2 rooms. I'd happily pay up to $200 a night if I could have my whole family together. But Disney has no provision for that other than the Cabins, which would require a rental car for reasonable transportation times. Even renting DVC points isn't very economical since you have to go to the top-end 2 bedroom villa before we can all be in one suite.

Does anyone have advice for medium-sized families?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter