Official Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2019

At least in the past it didn't need to be USATF certified. Just a chip timed race where results are available online.
Yep. My POT races are rarely certified. Never a problem as long as the results are posted on line.

At least in the past it didn't need to be USATF certified. Just a chip timed race where results are available online.
I'm curious about this as well. It seems that the USTAF certification is new for Wine & Dine. Most 10Ks I'm finding in my area aren't certified.

I was just looking at the proof of time info and one thing I read said that the race has to be accredited by USATF but another thing on the runDisney website didn’t mention that. Is the POT any timed race ?

Could you share where you saw the USATF language? I can't find that.

I'm curious about this as well. It seems that the USTAF certification is new for Wine & Dine. Most 10Ks I'm finding in my area aren't certified.

This is what is listed under Race Policies for the W&D weekend regarding proof of time

"We do not accept relays, self-timed, training, trail runs or virtual runs as proof of time. Proof of time must be provided by the participant for each individual race from an officially timed 10K, 12K, 15K, 10-Mile, Half Marathon race reflecting results within the last 2 years."

No mention of USATF.

Already getting excited! My sister and I are registered for the 10K. This will be our first race since the princess half in 2013. It’s taken a while with babies in the interim, but we’re back. Racecation without the kids!

Could you share where you saw the USATF language? I can't find that.

This is what is listed under Race Policies for the W&D weekend regarding proof of time

"We do not accept relays, self-timed, training, trail runs or virtual runs as proof of time. Proof of time must be provided by the participant for each individual race from an officially timed 10K, 12K, 15K, 10-Mile, Half Marathon race reflecting results within the last 2 years."

No mention of USATF.
  • Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race on a USATF certified course reflecting results between November 1, 2017 and July 30, 2019, and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time or if the data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified.
This is what I see under proof of time for Wine & Dine. It's in the half marathon (and also the challenge) section under events- proof of time guidelines.

Last edited:
  • Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race on a USATF certified course reflecting results between November 1, 2017 and July 30, 2019, and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time or if the data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified.
This is what I see under proof of time for Wine & Dine. It's in the half marathon (and also the challenge) section under events- proof of time guidelines.

Thanks. I've sent an email to track shack asking for clarification. I'll post any reply I get here.

Hey Everyone,
We've arranged a group of 6 of us ladies (ages 23-66) to run the W&D 10k this year! All but one of us have never run a 10k before, let alone a Disney race, so we're looking to make the most of it. Some of us are going to prioritize meeting characters, and some will try to enjoy the running aspect more. We'll have two rooms at Pop and nearly everyone will be staying for 4 nights and get 3 day hoppers. MY QUESTIONS ARE: Is the After Party worth doing? What is it like? Will it be just as crowded as a regular (non peak) park day? What attractions are going to be open? Will we get the full food and Wine experience? We do Disney about once every 18 months or so, so it's not our first "OMG we have to do everything" trip, but it is out "We're here for this race" trip.
Any hints, tips, feedback, jokes, etc are appreciated.

Thanks!
Kal

MY QUESTIONS ARE: Is the After Party worth doing? What is it like? Will it be just as crowded as a regular (non peak) park day? What attractions are going to be open? Will we get the full food and Wine experience?
It depends. I believe there was a change this year and they are now allowing party ticket people in starting at 5PM but the Party won't start until I think 9 or 10PM.

It will have decent crowds. All half and challenge runners get a ticket automatically. Then people can buy tickets.

There are usually 4-5ish attractions open such as Frozen, Soarin, Spaceship Earth, and Test Track. Outside of that they usually do have several rarer character meet and greets throughout World Showcase. All of the food and wine food booths should be open during the party and you get a $15 gift card (you don't have to use it for this) that they give with half/challenge bibs.

So if you want you could get as much of a food and wine experience as you want. The food booths will be open. You will not get the seminars and extra activities during the party though like you do during the day.

Hey Everyone,
We've arranged a group of 6 of us ladies (ages 23-66) to run the W&D 10k this year! All but one of us have never run a 10k before, let alone a Disney race, so we're looking to make the most of it. Some of us are going to prioritize meeting characters, and some will try to enjoy the running aspect more. We'll have two rooms at Pop and nearly everyone will be staying for 4 nights and get 3 day hoppers. MY QUESTIONS ARE: Is the After Party worth doing? What is it like? Will it be just as crowded as a regular (non peak) park day? What attractions are going to be open? Will we get the full food and Wine experience? We do Disney about once every 18 months or so, so it's not our first "OMG we have to do everything" trip, but it is out "We're here for this race" trip.
Any hints, tips, feedback, jokes, etc are appreciated.

Thanks!
Kal
I've only done it once in 2016, it was crowded like in the back half of World Showcase, rides had lines (I heard got better near the end), and character lines were long, but like food booth lines weren't terrible. I enjoyed it, but got the ticket and will again with the Challenge. I don't think I would buy it if I was already going to Epcot during the day.

1. Are you going to Epcot during the day with your regular ticket or do you need more Epcot time? If you are already going to Epcot, you'll get the Food & Wine and rides then. If not, then buying a ticket to the party would be a good idea. If you don't think you have enough Epcot time already with your day hopper, then the party would give you more Epcot time.

2. Are you interested in meeting characters that they'll have out special for the party? If so, the ticket would be worth it. If not, then it might not be as really that's the only special thing to the party compared to during the day. I guess they had a DJ playing music and race merchandise for sale as well.

“Runners started arriving around 5:00 am at Disney’s Wide World of Sports for the 7:00 am race start.”

:eek: Start arriving at 5am? So much sleep!

Ah the memories.....
I miss the night race so much. Sitting around the resort all day drinking Powerade. Showering at 2am and then GOING TO BED. Im such a night owl. I don’t know that I would have ever ran my first half marathon if I had had to get up at 2:30am and run. I do it now though - the things I do to run Disney

Reply on the proof of time question:

Gisele,

Thank you for reaching out. While we prefer for the proof to be USATF certified, as long as the event you are submitting is accurately measured, and has official events, it would still be considered for corral placement. However, the proof must still adhere to the approved date range of November 1, 2017 through the deadline of July 30, 2019 and distance for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend event.

We wish you magical miles!

I'm planning to do the 5k, the Challenge, the Halloween Party, the Post-Race Party, and I'll even organize a meet up!
We are making a big trip out of this one. Starting with the last Halloween Party on our first day, then I’m running the Half, eating and drinking all the F&W, and ending our stay with the the MVMCP. I would be up for a meet up too, especially if anyone else is going to the Wine & Dine F&W party the night of the Half.

Reply on the proof of time question:

Gisele,

Thank you for reaching out. While we prefer for the proof to be USATF certified, as long as the event you are submitting is accurately measured, and has official events, it would still be considered for corral placement. However, the proof must still adhere to the approved date range of November 1, 2017 through the deadline of July 30, 2019 and distance for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend event.

We wish you magical miles!

@ZellyB, thanks for posting this! Good point of reference. There's a 10k I'm looking at doing at the end of June but it's not USATF certified. Some factors external to running may dictate my schedule that weekend, but knowing that I could probably use it as a POT might change how I push other things around.

I’m just rolling my eyes at the 5K theme cause of the race move from Animal Kingdom to Epcot especially with the other themes having ties to world showcase pavilions (FEA, American Adventure, Grand Fiesta)
I’m rolling my eyes at Frozen. Actually to me all of these themes are a stretch.

Themes revealed

5K - Jungle Book
10K - Frozen
Half - Patriotic Mickey
Challenge - 3 Caballeros

I'm actually kind of excited for the Frozen 10K - I like that the focus seems to be on Olaf and Sven versus the sisters so it's something different than the usual Frozen overload. Now how it connects to food, I'm at a loss. But I'm still okay with it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!