Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2012, I stopped at the EPCOT restrooms right after the entrance (no longer an option) and the DHS bathrooms right before the hat. In 2013, I will be going in the bushes. LOL.

Yep, I hit the portas during the race, if I have to. It's generally a pretty good gauge of how hydrated I am, but (ew factor) - I can tell my speed relative to everyone else as well - the nastier the porta is, the more people are ahead of me! :crazy2:

I seriously don't know how you Goofy runners do it. I'm having problems leaving my bed today. I don't even know how it would be to run a marathon. LOL

I do have a question about potty breaks during a full. I can hold it during a 1/2 and don't really get the urge during my long run but I haven't gone past 15 at this point. Do you marathon runners feel the urge to hit the PP's on the course?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

I generally am fine if I get past mile 3-13. Yes a wide range but the mind does funny things.

I find that the urge is more mental if one is hydrating properly. As glycogen (blood sugar) levels fall the brain (which is fueled 100% by sugar) will start to tell you many things to keep you from running. I actually find that physically, my body tends to shut the bladder off and not allow the liquids to leave after 30 -45 minutes.

For those who are curious, there are real restrooms at the TTC (course right)(mile 4) in MK just after turning the left hand corner at the race track behind Stitch (course left) and then again near the Country Bear Jamboree (course left)... you may need to convince a cast member that you need the latter. In DAK, just after coming on stage, there is a set of real rooms (course left) . WWoS are all long term Portolets. DHS, there are a set of real rooms in the area of the Commissary Lane (course right). Finally, in Epcot, there are a couple sets along WorldShowcase, but I would think by then it would need to be life or death

I did my Galloway Goofy training over the weekend, 6 miles Saturday and 15 miles on Sunday. It was cold Saturday morning, I was glad my jacket had zip off sleeves as it started to warm up. The 15 miles was great for the first 11 and then I really struggled. I forgot to fuel after mile 5 which may have been some of the problem. I need to work on eating while on long runs.

When I got home I could feel that I was starting to get sore so I went out and mowed the lawn for an hour. I think that really saved me because today I don't even feel like I ran yesterday. I've read from Coach and others that you have to keep moving to recover and I can't agree more. Two weeks ago I ran a half race and then didn't move enough post race. I could barely walk for the next 4 days.

Thanks for all of the great information and advice you all share with me, a new runner.

Congrats on all of the PRs, and hugs to Vern for the DNF, but I agree, better to stay healthy and race in Disney!
The SI Half was amazing, a little hilly, and it rained at the end, but it was a great race, excellent water/gatorade at every mile, safe route, all that good stuff! I may look into doing the entire 5 Borough series if they do it again next year!

Question, though! I knocked 8 minutes off of my time. Will that make a difference in corral placement? I wonder if I should submit my new time, or just leave it the way it is? I know that with my slow time, I will be in the back somewhere, I always am, but if it will move me up, that would be awesome! My old time was 2:35 and my new time is 2:27

Congrats on all of the PRs, and hugs to Vern for the DNF, but I agree, better to stay healthy and race in Disney!
The SI Half was amazing, a little hilly, and it rained at the end, but it was a great race, excellent water/gatorade at every mile, safe route, all that good stuff! I may look into doing the entire 5 Borough series if they do it again next year!

Question, though! I knocked 8 minutes off of my time. Will that make a difference in corral placement? I wonder if I should submit my new time, or just leave it the way it is? I know that with my slow time, I will be in the back somewhere, I always am, but if it will move me up, that would be awesome! My old time was 2:35 and my new time is 2:27

It's possible you might be in a different corral if the cut off is 2:30. You might want to go to the Expo and ask.

SAHDad said:
Oh, that stinks. :grouphug: No DNF is pleasant, but if you run enough, you'll have one. You made the right call, I think. There are always other races, and there is no point in hurting yourself.

(FWIW - in the ultra community, DNF also stands for "Did Nothing Foolish/Fatal".)

On the plus side - it means that Disney can be your first marathon. :cool1:

I didn't know that! Great advice, and an attitude worth taking! DOOD & I have a variety of catchphrases that try to capture this, because sometimes it's difficult to run smart. It's especially hard on race days. I'll be adding this to my repertoire, along with "It's not the last donut you'll ever eat," "Race (or train) to run another day."

Well I went for my first long since hurting my MCL a month ago. I got cleared on monday and did about a 3 mile run tuesday and decided to wait until yesterday for my long run. I ended up running 6.78 miles at a 14 minute pace. That is about 2 minutes slower than my normal pace time but I know that will come back as I run more. I was following the jeff galloway plan for the full so I will have to adjust my miles because as most of you know we were supposed to run 15 mile yesterday and that wasn't going to happen. I know I will figure it out I always do.

I also joined dailymile and my username is regul8ter18 so if any of you are on that site feel free to find me on there.

Courtney:sulley:

Your call. It will only bring you one corral forward; maybe. I am assuming you provided proof for the 2:35... If you did not, then you need to submit your new race as proof. In the email tell them of your new projected time.

Background: I've done 3 halves, Donald will be my fourth. I'm just coming back from 3 months of no running/exercise due to surgery (facial, not running mechanics related). My runs are up to 3.5 miles. Today I ran on the treadmill, which I haven't done in more than a year, and my right foot went pins and needles about a mile into my run and stayed that way until I got off.

Any thoughts? I feel like my form on the treadmill is hideous, so I'm wondering if that's it? My shoes are new-ish, but I haven't had any issues running outside. :confused3

Background: I've done 3 halves, Donald will be my fourth. I'm just coming back from 3 months of no running/exercise due to surgery (facial, not running mechanics related). My runs are up to 3.5 miles. Today I ran on the treadmill, which I haven't done in more than a year, and my right foot went pins and needles about a mile into my run and stayed that way until I got off.

Any thoughts? I feel like my form on the treadmill is hideous, so I'm wondering if that's it? My shoes are new-ish, but I haven't had any issues running outside. :confused3

hard to say from here. Potential issues include

shoes - too tight too new
gait - just getting back and not being smooth from the core down
poor foot strike position - leads to a funny rotation and possible stinger in the ankle/knee/hip.
core - could be weak from the break in activity
overstriding - being tight from the inactivity and trying to make a past speed be over stretching and plopping on the hill.
Could be a slight pinch in a nerve due to inflammation.

Any of the above could be part of the issue. I would suggest taking NSAIDS for inflammation and rest 3-4 days. See if it occurs again.

hard to say from here. Potential issues include

shoes - too tight too new
gait - just getting back and not being smooth from the core down
poor foot strike position - leads to a funny rotation and possible stinger in the ankle/knee/hip.
core - could be weak from the break in activity
overstriding - being tight from the inactivity and trying to make a past speed be over stretching and plopping on the hill.
Could be a slight pinch in a nerve due to inflammation.

Any of the above could be part of the issue. I would suggest taking NSAIDS for inflammation and rest 3-4 days. See if it occurs again.

Thanks, Coach! I went up a 1/2 size in shoes (to a full size bigger) so I don't think it's shoe tightness. Newness, maybe. Based on what you said, I suspect a combo of core weakness and funky gait on the treadmill. (I'm running about 2 min/mile slower than I was pre-surgery)

Thanks for the input!

For those of you who do intervals, how fast do you do your walk interval? So far I have been running only, but as I'm getting up into the higher milage of maratho training, I think I need to switch to intervals if I'm gonna make it the whole way!

ColleenG said:
For those of you who do intervals, how fast do you do your walk interval? So far I have been running only, but as I'm getting up into the higher milage of maratho training, I think I need to switch to intervals if I'm gonna make it the whole way!

I switched from full running to 3/1 run/walk as mileage started hitting half marathon distance and beyond. With a decent effort on walk portion, I am keeping a consistent 12 min mile. By comparison my full running at 5k pace is just around 11 minute miles. (11:17 per mile at last 5k I did).

Hope that helps.

Start my training today for the Half marathon. :cool1::):cool1:. I ran in an Army 10 miler shadow run on sunday and had a great run.

I am super excited to run. ran 10 minute 45 second miles for me 10 miler so I figure with my training I will get down to 10 minute miles which means plenty of time for stopping with characters.

swimchick1984 said:
Start my training today for the Half marathon. :cool1::):cool1:. I ran in an Army 10 miler shadow run on sunday and had a great run.

I am super excited to run. ran 10 minute 45 second miles for me 10 miler so I figure with my training I will get down to 10 minute miles which means plenty of time for stopping with characters.

Wow! That's good!

I have a question for someone far smarter then me. I am currently in Afghanistan and will not have an official race time because I do not leave until a month before the race. How can I get a correct corral placement or do I just have to go with what they give me.

swimchick1984 said:
I have a question for someone far smarter then me. I am currently in Afghanistan and will not have an official race time because I do not leave until a month before the race. How can I get a correct corral placement or do I just have to go with what they give me.

I think you're out of luck without proof of time. Best you can hope for is put estimated finish time at 5 hours. I think that is the fastest you can put and not need proof of time. That might get you placed up a corral or two.

But, since you have probably already registered this is all probably too late.

I know this was address 400 pages ago but I cannot find the post. I am Staying at Port Orleans Riverside. It looks to me like it would be about a mile walk to the Start from there. It looks to be about a mile walk from the Finish area. I am trying to decide if I should just walk to the Start.

1. I never use bag check at races.
2. I know there are no sidewalks but I am pretty confident in my ability to not get hit by cars.
3. I could sleep an hour longer.

Am I missing anything else? Anyone else walking to the Start for the Half and Full?

garner384 said:
I know this was address 400 pages ago but I cannot find the post. I am Staying at Port Orleans Riverside. It looks to me like it would be about a mile walk to the Start from there. It looks to be about a mile walk from the Finish area. I am trying to decide if I should just walk to the Start.

2. I know there are no sidewalks but I am pretty confident in my ability to not get hit by cars.

Am I missing anything else? Anyone else walking to the Start for the Half and Full?

While there are a few people that don't recommend it, it's doable. Here's a map:

AA38ECF3-FCF3-4EBC-BD38-B4652DF73F8E-5666-00000D3F9A236FA2.jpg

I'll be walking to the corrals from OKW for the half and full. I'll cross over the bridge at the intersection of DVC Way and Bonnet Creek Pkwy which is right next to the corrals. This is the map I use to see the area:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Disne...ion+Club+Way,+Orlando,+Florida+32836&t=h&z=17

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter