Official thread for Disney's John Carter: Opens March 9, 2012 (updated 12/1, post 12)

Mouse Skywalker

<font color=green>The Force is strong with this Po
This thread will have the official information from Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures regarding John Carter to be released March 9, 2012.

John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to mysterious and exotic planet Mars, becomes embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions and discovers that the survival of the planet and its people rests in his hands.

JCM_Teaser_1s_v52online61411.jpg

©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.

From Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures:
From Academy Award®–winning filmmaker Andrew Stanton comes “John Carter”—a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). “John Carter” is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

Genre: Action-Adventure

Rating: TBD

Release Date: March 9, 2012

Cast: Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, with Thomas Hayden Church and Willem Dafoe

Director: Andrew Stanton

Producers: Jim Morris and Colin Wilson

Screenplay by: Andrew Stanton & Mark Andrews and Michael Chabon (credit not final)

Based on the story “A Princess of Mars” by: Edgar Rice Burroughs

Notes:
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs was born in Chicago and is best known for writing and creating Tarzan—still one of the most successful and iconic fictional creations of all time. “John Carter” is based on Burroughs’ first novel, “A Princess of Mars.”
  • Academy Award®–winning director/writer Andrew Stanton directed and co-wrote the screenplay for “WALL•E,” which earned the Academy Award® and Golden Globe Award® for Best Animated Feature of 2008. He was Oscar® nominated for the screenplay. He made his directorial debut with “Finding Nemo,” garnering an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay and winning the Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film of 2003. He was one of the four screenwriters to receive an Oscar nomination in 1996 for his contribution to “Toy Story,” and went on to receive credit as a screenwriter on subsequent Pixar films “A Bug’s Life,” “Toy Story 2,” “Monsters, Inc.,” “Finding Nemo” and “WALL•E.”
  • The award-winning below-the-line team includes Production Designer Nathan Crowley, Oscar®- nominated for both “Dark Knight” and “The Prestige,” and Costume Designer Mayes Rubeo, whose work is showcased in “Avatar” and “Apocalypto.”
  • Michael Chabon, who won the Pulitzer Prize in Literature for his novel “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay,” is a co-writer on the screenplay.
  • Award-winning composer Michael Giacchino has received numerous accolades for his work on previous Disney•Pixar films “Up” (Oscar® winner, Best Original Score; BAFTA winner, Best Music; Golden Globe® winner, Best Original Score for a Motion Picture; GRAMMY® Award winner, Best Score Soundtrack Album), “Ratatouille” (GRAMMY Award winner, Best Score Soundtrack Album; Annie Award winner, Best Music in an Animated Feature Production; Oscar nomination, Best Original Score) and “The Incredibles” (Annie Award winner, Best Music in an Animated Feature Production; GRAMMY nomination, Best Score Soundtrack Album).

First concept art released for John Carter.

HELIUMairshipDUSTFRONT1b_R.jpg

In Burroughs’ books, massive airships sail on rays of light on Mars. ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.

HELIUM_Dusk.jpg

The city of Helium, also referred to as "The Jewel of Barsoom (Mars)," is the home of Princess Dejah Thoris. ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.

Press Day for John Carter - June 21, 2011. All photos by Jessica Lifland.

20110621_JohnCarter_343_R.jpg

Academy Award winning filmmaker Andrew Stanton during the "John Carter" edit bay press visit June 21, 2011. ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

20110621_JohnCarter_424_R.jpg

Director and writer Andrew Stanton (center) during the "John Carter" edit bay press visit June 21, 2011. ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

20110621_JohnCarter_208_R.jpg

Eamonn Butler (creature animator, center) during the "John Carter" edit bay press visit June 21, 2011. Ph: Jessica Lifland ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

20110621_JohnCarter_475_R.jpg

Producer Jim Morris during the "John Carter" edit bay press visit June 21, 2011. ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

The first trailer has been released for Disney's John Carter.

JCM_Teaser_1s_v52online61411.jpg

You can watch the trailer via the link below.
http://youtu.be/b8xblwyKtfo

Based on the story “A Princess of Mars” by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

HELIUM_Dusk.jpg

I first heard about this movie a few weeks ago. Having read most of the Burrough's Mars books I can't wait to see what Disney does for this movie.

I'm reading the book right now. I'm very excited about the film, and I can't wait to see how the stranger moments are covered (ie, John Carter gets to Mars by basically wishing he was there.)

I'm reading the book right now. I'm very excited about the film, and I can't wait to see how the stranger moments are covered (ie, John Carter gets to Mars by basically wishing he was there.)
I'm reading the book now too! :thumbsup2

I read these books as a kid and I had to hunt for hours in the attic to find my old books. Found them! :cool1: None the worse for wear thank the heavens. Re-reading A Princess of Mars now and I am so psyched for this movie. I truly hope they do the story justice and from the trailer and a few stills I've seen it looks impressive. Can't wait!pirate:

Walt Disney Studios to Release John Carter in IMAX(R) 3D in March 2012​

IMAX.jpg

From IMAX Corporation Press Release:
LOS ANGELES, Aug 8, 2011 - IMAX Corporation and Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures today announced that the action-adventure film John Carter, from Academy(R) Award-winning filmmaker Andrew Stanton, will be released to IMAX(R) theatres simultaneously with the film's worldwide release on March 9, 2012. John Carter is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs and stars Taylor Kitsch, Willem Dafoe and Lynn Collins.

John Carter, set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars), tells the story of war-weary former military captain John Carter. He is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions among the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas, and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris. In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

"Audiences will immediately feel transported in the epic adventure of John Carter," said Dave Hollis, Executive Vice President, Theatrical Exhibition Sales and Distribution, Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. "Andrew Stanton has envisioned this vast landscape in a way that's not been seen before, and we're thrilled to be able to offer our viewers this film in the immersive IMAX 3D format."

"John Carter is a great addition to our 2012 film slate and is sure to resonate with our key demographic," said Greg Foster, Chairman and President, IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "We are pleased to work, once again, with the talented teams at Disney to bring audiences worldwide this groundbreaking film in IMAX 3D."

The IMAX release of John Carter will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience(R) with proprietary IMAX DMR(R) (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images coupled with IMAX's customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie.

On August 20 at the D23 Expo, producer Jim Morris and director Andrew Stanton were accompanied by the film’s stars Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, and Willem Dafoe to present never-before-seen footage, introducing fans to the film’s epic characters.

125257_3455.jpg

Director Andrew Stanton, ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.

125257_3468.jpg

Actor Taylor Kitsch (John Carter), ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.

125257_3516.jpg

(L-R) Actors: Willem Dafoe, Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, and Director Andrew Stanton, ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.

125257_3532.jpg

(L-R) Actors: Willem Dafoe, Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, and Director Andrew Stanton, ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.

121543352_AE_6160_8C47489D1603099969F05B2AA9D33EC5.jpg

(L-R) Actors: Willem Dafoe, Lynn Collins, and Taylor Kitsch

Walt Disney Studios also released a short video of some fans' reactions to the John Carter preview at the D23 Expo.
Follow the link below to watch the video.
http://youtu.be/3gWgVqM-ky4

I have to say, i'm VERY excited about Taylor Kitsch in the lead role, I think he is fantastic! Anyone here seen him in Friday Night Lights (tv show)?

The studios just announced a $200 million loss over the movie. :rotfl:

Part Star Wars, part Superman, Avatar, Star Trek, Cowboys vs Aliens, and Indiana Jones, but written by Edgar Rice Burroughs (creator of Tarzan) almost a century before many of the others. Fantastic Sci-Fi adventure from start to finish. Director Andrew Stanton and Disney do a spectacular job telling Burroughs' story. Where Disney slips up is the HORRIBLE job of marketing this film. I had no idea this character fought in the Civil War. Bottom line, I didn't really even care about John Carter till I started hearing good reviews. This is a fun exciting movie that I strongly recommend all in the geek community and beyond take a stab at seeing. Some may disagree, but I thought the PG13 rating was a little too much. There's violence but I believe it could have passed a PG mark considering today's audiences. Overall, I give it 3 red craters out of 5. BTW, loved the new Brave trailer on the big screen as well.

I enjoyed the movie, for whatever reason it lost so much money can be blamed on poor marketing, I suppose when you do get a real bomb like Mars needs Moms ahead of it and you leave out the most important part of the movie description then its a terrible mistake.

I think the real harsh reality world out there is upset about a film like this, just when the world is about to go to war and the nation itself is divided in so many ways along comes a movie that takes the people to a mystical world off planet and at another time. Removing the people from hype, marketing and political herding probably brings shudders to some people.

Its a shame Disney lost so much money, it would be a greater shame if there was no sequel. It wasn't an outstanding breakthrough of a film, very good yes, its a definite go see at the movie house, and a keeper for the video library.

I hope Disney just shrugs off the bad reviews, its what the PEOPLE are saying. And from what I have seen on all kinds of forums from boating to shooting, to motorcycle forums even a metal detecting forum is this, its a good movie.

This is a fun exciting movie that I strongly recommend all in the geek community and beyond take a stab at seeing.
+1

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Great plot and not overwhelmed with gratuitously long action scenes.

Sadly, there were just four other people in the theater with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!