Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

Congrats 5K and 10K runners! My race today went well. It was warm, but nothing unmanageable. Tomorrow could be brutal though. I'm seeing temps around 70 and dew point of 68 even at 5 am. Yikes. Hoping there's some cloud cover around because that will be nasty once sun gets added in.

They put a sticker on the bag with your bib number. They provide the sticker.

I think they changed it to be based on your last name. They don't include the bib number stickers with the bags any more.

Soooo.....has anyone lost their kessel run and c2c bands before? They must not have put it on tight enough and they came off my hand. I didn't notice, having a magic band and Apple Watch on. I have looked everywhere and I can't find it. Do you think runner relations could help me tomorrow at the half? I'm gonna be so bummed if I don't get those other two medals. I had no plans of flying out to California this year again to get the c2c. I can always try for the kessel run next year (though forgoing the challenge for both races)

My left thigh thigh / quad / hip area is very sore after today's run. Any ideas on how to make it less sore for tomorrow's run?

I think they changed it to be based on your last name. They don't include the bib number stickers with the bags any more.

They still put your number on the sticker, they just hand write them when you drop it off.

And on your magnet question - I would just try tomorrow at the race. think it's your only option really.

They still put your number on the sticker, they just hand write them when you drop it off.

And on your magnet question - I would just try tomorrow at the race. think it's your only option really.
Does anyone know what the Fit2Run gift was for runners who came in with their medals? They were already out when I got there. Just wondering if it's worth acting faster next time. Thx

Does anyone know what the Fit2Run gift was for runners who came in with their medals? They were already out when I got there. Just wondering if it's worth acting faster next time. Thx
It was an insulated grocery bag

Sorry I missed the meet up this morning! We badly misjudged our time. But I hope everyone is having a great one today and congrats!!

That was even hotter...and my race was a hot mess. GI issues from the start and 4(!) stops after the start of the race led to a slow pace. Felt like I was carrying all of the combined food in WDW along with me in my stomach. Still a great race and the volunteers and on course CMs were fantastic. Sadly no character photos; just wanted to get done.

Great race this morning! It was good to meet some of DISers this morning! I was less than a minute from a PR. With about 3 miles left, I knew I would be close, so I picked up the pace. Didn't quite make it (runner's brain probably kept me from knowing that it would be really hard to get, but it also helped me run faster at the end). I never try to PR Disney races, and with the heat and humidity of this morning, it makes me wonder what I could do. I had negative splits almost every mile! Crazy! I'm happy.

Congrats to all the runners today! Curious what you thought of the course, since I'll be doing this race next year (though I suppose it could change again).

Last edited:
Congrats to all the runners today! Curious what you thought of the course!
This was my first Florida race, so I don't have much perspective. The humidity this morning made the run extremely challenging for me. Other than that, the grade on the overpass ramp was a killer, but it's probably unavoidable.

I really enjoyed running through Epcot to end it, but by that point, the conditions had me too exhausted to fully appreciate it.

Great meeting DIS folks for dinner last night and this morning in the staging area!!

I thought the course was well done today, although I imagine there were still a few tight areas that may have affected later corrals. That being said, with the exception of 0.4 miles in Animal Kingdom, the first 10 miles are all on roads. They did have a cool laser light show set to Star Wars sounds in the 2-3 mile range. I really liked that. They also had the normal periodic character stops, DJ, big screens showing Star Wars scenes, and random music/sounds here and there which keeps you entertained.

It was definitely quite a bit warmer than I prefer, and the humidity just gave us all a big hug the entire time, but I think that is to be expected this time of the year in Florida.

All-in-all a great time and great weekend!!

Last edited:
I really had a great time today. Loved the course so much. The humidity was killer but luckily the sun stayed behind clouds until I was in world showcase. Couldn't have asked for better than that.

I was second wave of F and there was definitely a lot of crowding issues but it wasn't terrible, just slightly frustrating.

Because Epcot was open by the time I got there, I was able to grab a tiki torch from the Joffreys near Mexico. That slushy frozen alcoholic goodness was the best thing I've ever tasted. LOL

I loved the course - way better than the W&D course (the only other half I've done at WDW).

It was definitely humid but it didn't end up bothering me that much. I think I was lucky to be able to start in one of the earlier corrals, and it stayed cloudy during the part of the race where the sun was up.

It was my fastest runDisney race so far (out of three I've done). The only negative I will say is the crowding, particularly on Bear Island road. Also, I nearly got blinded by some of the lights in the mock battle along that stretch...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter