OFFICIAL OCTOBER 2017 pretrip and trip report!

Anybody bring a jacket? lol :cold:
You southerners are funny. A jacket? For us midwesterners that's shorts and t-shirt weather :rotfl2:
I'm sure as long as it's dry you'll all have a great time. Enjoy your time there for us all.

Sorry, tigger92662. :rolleyes: It's not often I get to use that "cold" emoticon in the same sentence with WDW weather.

And FWIW, I'm from NE Ohio so I think I qualify as "Midwest"-ener. (at least I can claim dual citizenship: Southerner and Midwesterner).

I hope those temps hold through next week but it doesn't look like they will.

Bama Ed

I'll give you that, you've probably had enough of the cold and white stuff. Don't blame ya for moving south, it's our goal as well someday. Only 6 more days for you :thumbsup2

It'll be here before you know it. I told DW to get me some extra popcorn this weekend. I was gonna need it.

We just got back Saturday from Ft Wilderness. We were there from 14th to the 21st. This was our first time camping there. We were in the 1700 loop. We had a great trip. 5 days at the parks. We usually stay at Shades of Green, but wanted to try the Disney camping experience since we now own an RV. The campground was very nice. A little crowded (we typically camp in state parks), but we didn't spend a lot of time there anyway.

Some hightlights:
- Rode Flights of Passage 3 times and never waited long (1 rope drop and 2 FastPass)
- Rode Navi River Journey twice
- Ate at Ohana for the first time. Food was awesome, but pretty pricey. They charge adult price for a 10 year old, which is crazy since my son doesn't eat much.
- Weather was great except for the day we planned to go a water park, so we just relaxed that day.
- Trails End has great food, one of the best buffets at WDW. We went there once for dinner and once for breakfast.
- The campfire sing-a-long was fun.
- My son really enjoyed the Meadows pool. I really liked the hot tub after walking around the parks all day.
- I like the new Geyser Point Grill by the Wilderness Lodge. It's a nice place to sit near the water and get a drink and some good food.
- Ate at the Brown Derby Lounge in Hollywood Studios. Got in line about 10 minutes before they opened, which worked well since they filled up quickly. The shrimp w/ grits was amazing, the arepas were good but tiny, and the sliders were good (although the buns seemed kind of dry).
- The Magic Kingdom was extremely crowded for the fireworks. The worst I've experienced. The new Happily Ever After fireworks show is great, but my view was partly blocked by trees.
- We ate at Boma for the first time in several years. We really like the food there. Afterwards, we were wondering how to get from the Animal Kingdom Lodge back to Ft Wilderness when we walked by a bus labeled "Magical Express". The driver asked where we were going and took us directly to Ft Wilderness. That was awesome.

Been a busy couple of days.

Sunday we split up. My brother's family went to Epcot while my sister and her family and my family went to AK but not together, though we did run into each other. We had a FP for Navi which was good as if I had waited the 2 hours posted wait for that I would have been pissed. It's a nice ride but not 2 hour wait good. We have a FP for FOP later in the week. Then we hit the Safari, Kali River, one of the jungle type trails, and a few other things. We headed back early as we had an ADR at the 615 HDDR to relax. All 14 had dinner at the Hoop and everyone had fun. We got picked when they asked where everyone was from.

Today was Epcot for us and the others went to HS. We started at Soarin' and it was our first time seeing the new movie. We loved the old movie and loved this one just as much. We did Living w The Land, Nemo, Turtle Talk, Figment, the Joy and Sadness meet and greet, and the Short Film Fest before walking the Countries. DD got to meet Alice, her fav, Bell and one other. It was the time for dinner in Mexico at the San Angel Inn. We all liked it. Then it was off to meet Anna and Elsa. Around 3p before we hit the World Showcase I was able to score Illuminations FP's. Right after A&E around 815 my DD said she was ready to go back to the Cabin. So wha and t do you do when that happens? You find 4 people who you can see are checking for the FP and tell them to follow you for some pixie dust. You scan your passes and let them go in as you head back to the bus.

Nice and relaxing day tomorrow to start. It's our down day so we will hit the pool and maybe Dis Springs if it's not pool weather. The tomorrow night it's MNSSHP for all of us.

A slow panic is building inside of me....

So much to do, so little time.

I bought 500 pieces of chocolate candy (the good stuff) and I am torn: it's probably not enough but it's WAY more than I've ever bought before.

Also there is a list building on my desk of the Trip's "To Do" while at Disney and it keeps growing. Some activities are on the Fort October Movie/Rec event sheet but I've got a few that aren't.

It's really bad timing for some of the events. I am a space nerd and would love to see a launch at the Kennedy Space Center while on a Disney trip. And there is one next week, a SpaceX launch but it's scheduled for Monday Oct 30 with a launch window of 330-6pm which is right around the golf cart parade time. A rocket launch would be cool:

giphy.gif

They have just about perfected how to stick the landing. Sometimes they land the first stage back on the barge:

giphy.gif

And if the payload is light enough, they can land it back at KSC:

giphy.gif

View from the rocket itself coming in (time elapsed):

giphy.gif

Not to be mean but I am hoping something causes them to push back the launch away from Monday to a later day next week so maybe I can go see it. Don't know what the landing plans are for next week's mission - sometimes they have to use all the fuel to get the payload delivered to orbit.

Saw a little bit of rain chances next week in the forecast - hoping those aren't too bad.

Bama Ed

BTW - if anyone wants to come over Saturday night Nov 4 and watch Bama-LSU with me on tv, you are welcome to come (and you don't HAVE to pull for the Tide).

Last edited:
would love to see a launch at the Kennedy Space Center

When we lived in Port St. John we loved to listen to the late night rocket launches, and hearing the Space Shuttle coming in for a landing. The 3 sonic booms where AWESOME.

Sorry I will miss you this trip, but work has other plans. Maybe we will meet up again someday.

Vince

I'm right there with you BamaEd. I'm still in the get the truck ready mode. Repairing some things that got broken or have been put off too long. Today I replaced a tire and the windshield. Then came home and cleaned and lubricated the camper slides. Tomorrow I will replace the rear brake rotors on the truck and maybe start loading the camper. But probably not due to the fact that I need some sleep before I have to work two more nights. Did I mention the truck cranked a little slow this morning so I may also be in the market for a new expensive battery. Maybe Friday afternoon I can load the camper and finish packing. It's going to be a frenzy to be ready to leave Saturday on time.

would love to see a launch at the Kennedy Space Center[/QUOTE
Right there with ya. Being a kid growing up in the late 60's early 70's it was all about space.
We as a family saw 1 daytime Shuttle launch from Cocoa Beach, 1 evening Shuttle from Disney and 1 daytime launch at Kennedy. Experiences of a lifetime.
Oh, and I was so occupied with the evening launch I never hit the record button on the camera, DUH

Ed,

Nice job on the good stuff candy! If you are worried about not having enough, why not get some little bank suckers and mix in. They're cheap and everyone loves those.

One evening while going from the FW to MK on the boat we saw a rocket launch from Kennedy. It was prettty red glow in the night sky. Very cool!

I bought 500 pieces of chocolate candy (the good stuff) and I am torn: it's probably not enough but it's WAY more than I've ever bought before.

Also there is a list building on my desk of the Trip's "To Do" while at Disney and it keeps growing. Some activities are on the Fort October Movie/Rec event sheet but I've got a few that aren't.

It's really bad timing for some of the events. I am a space nerd and would love to see a launch at the Kennedy Space Center while on a Disney trip. And there is one next week, a SpaceX launch but it's scheduled for Monday Oct 30 with a launch window of 330-6pm which is right around the golf cart parade time. A rocket launch would be cool:

giphy.gif

They have just about perfected how to stick the landing. Sometimes they land the first stage back on the barge:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Not to be mean but I am hoping something causes them to push back the launch away from Monday to a later day next week so maybe I can go see it. Don't know what the landing plans are for next week's mission - sometimes they have to use all the fuel to get the payload delivered to orbit.

Saw a little bit of rain chances next week in the forecast - hoping those aren't too bad.

Bama Ed

BTW - if anyone wants to come over Saturday night Nov 4 and watch Bama-LSU with me on tv, you are welcome to come (and you don't HAVE to pull for the Tide).

The rockets are neat, but I still miss the shuttles. Nothing can match the sounds of the sonic booms that would rattle our windows when they came in for a landing.

DH was out in the garage most of the evening last night getting the golf cart decorations ready. Will make a trip to Publix tomorrow and then pack. DH has to work all day Friday, so we should arrive at the Fort around 5pm. Work has been so stressful lately, really need this mini vacation.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Bama Ed

A very good friend of mine just got a job at KSC. Hoping that with an inside I can see a launch or two, and maybe get a good spot for photo's.

Well my bad luck is getting worse. The truck battery died and was replaced. In the middle of that my ex wife who was going with us Saturday called needing help. She woke up to severe stomach pains. She was running a low blood pressure and her blood count was also low so she is in the hospital awaiting surgery to repair a perforated ulcer. Now I have to decide to go alone with my DD or just cancel and make another family happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter