• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OFFICIAL Jan 2011 Half Marathon, Full Marathon, Dopey or Goofy Challenge Thread

This is why I am already registered for my next destination race, the National Half Marathon in DC. It helps the motivation.

I will be doing only cross training until next Tuesday at least if not Wednesday or Thursday. Better to take some days off by choice now as opposed to by necessity because of not waiting long enough.

Yep. My next one's March 20 - NYC Half Marathon. After that it will be smaller NYRR races until I ramp up the training for the Disneyland Half and the Wine and Dine...then that reverse taper will flow right into my training for the Full.

I did yoga on Tuesday and plan to do the same today. Saturday I'll go to my running club's fun run but primarily walk - maybe add in a slow jog just to test things out. And then slowly start building again next week.

For all experienced racers, I have a question.

I will be running the Princess half in Feb after doing the DW half last week. I did run yesterday (4 miles) but this week have been mostly cross training. When should I start back into my long runs? I am not really going for a PR for the Princess, but I don't want to be sucking wind either.

Any advice for training?

For all experienced racers, I have a question.

I will be running the Princess half in Feb after doing the DW half last week. I did run yesterday (4 miles) but this week have been mostly cross training. When should I start back into my long runs? I am not really going for a PR for the Princess, but I don't want to be sucking wind either.

Any advice for training?

I would say, and maybe Coach has a better idea, probably the weekend of the 22nd, ramp it up to 7 or 8 miles again.

I would say, and maybe Coach has a better idea, probably the weekend of the 22nd, ramp it up to 7 or 8 miles again.

That works or maybe even simpler... sit this weekend out and rejoin your existing training schedule on the following weekend. I would make the first long run about half to 3/4 of the scheduled amount and then just jump on in, assuming you do not discover a hidden injury or issue....

Back into the swing of things at home.. did the Goofy, tried to take it slower for the 1/2 knowing what was ahead of us Sunday- 1:58 half (aiming for around 2) and 3:29 for the full (aiming for 3:30). Excited that we were able to keep to our plan (for once)! We even got interviewed while walking around EPCOT by the runDisney folks, so maybe we'll be on the website soon... Congrats to everyone and maybe we'll be back next year!

Congratulations to everyone for getting to the start line! I'm reading catching up on this thread to glean info for nest year's race. I'm booked at a resort and I'm ready to register. It will be my 4th half but my first Disney. Looking forward to a new thread starting for the 2012 race.

Great idea. There is a TON of great advice in this thread. As a newbie (first half marathon, first WDW race), I gained so much from this thread. And there was a lot of support and camaraderie from a great group of people. Congrats on your decision to run the half next year. For the record, I'm officially hooked, and will be making my DVC readies next month.

After a quick check of the Goofy finishers this year, looks like about 169 still Perfectly Goofy?

After a quick check of the Goofy finishers this year, looks like about 169 still Perfectly Goofy?

That would mean about 11 fell out in 2011?

I have/had a list based on the 2010 program and results and seem to have misplaced the list. I seem to recall that there were about 180-181 of us surviving 2010.

Can you PM the list?

Oh, I have also asked RunDisney for a count of perfectly goofies since the race program was reported to not be perfectly correct.

I forgot about Robert's list. I think his 187 was closer than my 181; since there was confusion on WDWM's part. Let's use the 187 and then pair it back to 169.

BTW, You Sue from Michigan?

Got back home last night and easing back into normal life.

The WDW Marathon was my first and it was very enjoyable. Unfotunately at about the halfway point my left knee started to hurt and I had to start mixing in walk breaks and eventually was at about 75% walking and 25% running, but I finished. I also stopped to take pictures with characters at probably 50% or more of the stops so it wasn't really about time for me anyway. I eventually ran/walked/limped across the finish line at 4:58. Had I ran straight through without getting the knee troubles I was targeting about 4:00, but the medal is the same either way.

Besides the marathon, it was a nice trip as the wife and I left the kids at home an enjoyed a week at WDW kid free (we'll be going to Disneyland in 3.5 months so we don't feel too bad). We enjoyed our stay at the Boardwalk Villas and we used the Disney Dining Plan so although I ran a marathon on this trip I came home a few pounds heavier. No more DDP for us. We took a day to go to Islands of Adventure (our favorite non-Disney park) to see Harry Potter and revisit Hulk, Spiderman, and some other favorites. Lots of time in World Showcase too, which is something we don't do enough of with our small kids in tow.

Overall, it was a great experience and assuming I can take care of my knee troubles, I'll be thinking about Goofy next year and my wife would like to try the half. Maybe we'll bring DD4 and DS5 and sign them up for the kids events too!

I've only made a few posts along the way in this thread but I have read it all along so thanks to all of you for keeping it up.

I've run the half and the full marathon (ran the 1/2M last weekend). Now I've got ideas of running the Goofy next year. Anyone who's run the Goofy, how much more training do you need over marathon distance?

I can't imagine the running volume needed is that much greater, although there is more strategy involved with pacing/recovery/etc.

Many thanks to Coach Charles and everyone else on the board! I just got home from WDW today -- boy, is it good to be back! I've been gone since Jan. 3rd.

I just wanted to send a big message of thanks to all who gave countless messages of advice and support! I'm happy to report that I shaved 16 minutes off my 1/2 marathon and set a new PR! My hubby finished his first marathon -- and completed the Goofy!! I'm really proud of him! He did a great job running the full marathon in 5:19 -- which is great considering we both slid off in the training around Christmas.

I think the New Orleans Rock and Roll half is up next for us on Feb. 13th -- my birthday and maybe the Atlanta Half in March. I know Atlanta can be hilly so that one is still up in the air!

Best of luck to everyone in their spring races!!

By any chance, did anyone else see the runner in the half that had to be transported by ambulance? I was just curious if anyone knows what happened to him or her? I hope they are ok! We were in Corral E and were running about a 13 minute pace. Right before the on ramp back to Epcot (about mile 10) we saw medics performing CPR on a runner. I've been thinking about that person a lot and I couldn't find anything on the news. Hoping and praying that he or she has recovered and is doing well.....

I heard some people say that someone was airlifted, and some of our teammates were actually stopped on the course so the helicopter could come in and get out. I never heard anything else though. I hope that person is okay!

Congratultions to ALL! :cool1:

The above post is from 8-25-2010 and it has come to fruition as planned! :thumbsup2

This was our second 5K and first 1/2M at Disney and my first Full Marathon. I have to say that Danny Dreyer's Chi Walking worked well for me allowing a 4:56:28 time for the Full.

DW's 3:31:25 for the Half has her pumped and making plans for the 2011 DL 1/2M and the C2C Medal.

Good job! I'm a walker but I'm just now starting the Chi Running. Hoping to speed my time up to a sub 13 pace next year at the half.

By any chance, did anyone else see the runner in the half that had to be transported by ambulance? I was just curious if anyone knows what happened to him or her? I hope they are ok! We were in Corral E and were running about a 13 minute pace. Right before the on ramp back to Epcot (about mile 10) we saw medics performing CPR on a runner. I've been thinking about that person a lot and I couldn't find anything on the news. Hoping and praying that he or she has recovered and is doing well.....

I saw the person getting CPR too although I don't really know if they were a runner or a spectator. I was also looking in the news but haven't seen any word of it. I guess it's not the sort of thing Run Disney would want in the press.

I saw the person getting CPR too although I don't really know if they were a runner or a spectator. I was also looking in the news but haven't seen any word of it. I guess it's not the sort of thing Run Disney would want in the press.

There's also HIPPA to be concerned with. There have been some things happen at NYRR races, and the word has always been that they cannot release any information due to privacy concerns.

While I was not aware of anything going on (I guess I was ahead of all the excitement) given that there were no reports of a racer dying, I'm guessing they survived. Usually word does get out to the press when someone dies doing a race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter