******Official DLR May 2021 Check In Thread*******

AZMermaid

DIS Veteran
Well.... I waited and waited for someone to start a thread and finally bit the bullet myself! Check in here for planning and questions regarding our upcoming May trips (that will happen, right? Right?). Hope we can have fun together and pass the time!

******************************************************************************************************
Updates/ Useful Info
- Disneyland Grad Night Info
May 14,15,19,21,22,26,27-
cancelled
Tentative Bats Dat at the Park May 2
Virtual CHOC walk May 22

News
Disneyland Reopening Superthread
DVC Villas at the Grand Californian reopening 5/2/2021
Official Disneyland Site with updates

Reopening Key Details
4/29 Grand Californian Reopens (no other official hotels)
4/30 Disneyland and Disney CA Adventure reopen
5/2 Villas at the Grand Californian reopens
Theme park reservations will be required in advance
Only CA residents may enter parks,
all can come to hotels and Downtown Dis.

————————————————————————————————————
Who’s in?
evilmommie 4/29-5/1 OPENING DAY! GCH
Malcon10t 4/30-5/1 OPENING DAY! GCH
rigor 4/30- OPENING DAY!
BP Roo 5/2-5/8 VGC
edhmom 5/2-3
MissCecelia 5/4-8 VGC
KimberMama 5/5
Astylla May 5-8 Tropicana
ej119 5/6-5/9 Grand Legacy
hjgaus 5/6-5/8 VGC
nssmum 5/7-10 birthday trip!
montreid 5/9 VGC
sarahelizabeth 5/9-10
jwblane5/10-5/13 GCH
lsmo 5/13
pindecisive mid May
upritbass 5/19-22 VGC
FinnFogg 5/20-25 VGC
Federalist45 5/20-23
HappyThoughtsTees 5/21-5/23- Happy Birthday!
Jackiii 5/21-23
crafty247 5/24- Happy Birthday!
DisSurfer878 Memorial Weekend VGC
Malcon10t 5/27-5/31 GCH
crazyventures 5/28-31 Hotel Indigo
taaren 5/28-30 VGC
montreid 5/28-5/30
AZMermaid 5/29-6/1 VGC
mfleeting 5/28-6/1
JJ2017 5/28
Oscar923 5/29-31 VGC
wideeyedwonder 5/29 VGC
monkeypat83 Dates TBD Grand Cal

Last edited:
This is a trip for myself, DH, DD9 and DS10. My daughter and I went this past Feb with her dance studio. I planned to take my son in September, but you know, the ‘Rona. We are rebooked for Jan with a back up for April. But we are really looking to go as a family over Memorial Day weekend.

Thank you so much for starting this thread! It cheers the heart to see check in threads for next year starting to show up here. Fingers crossed, right? :)

Was supposed to take my daughter in November for her very first trip but that didn't happen obviously. Tentatively planning to take her in May assuming it is open and that I am successfully in my 2nd trimester of pregnancy with her sibling (upside of IVF is you pick a month to implant the embryo) since anything an 18 month old can ride a pregnant momma can ride too. We will probably splurge and stay at the Grand for it's convenience factor though I don't have the official dates yet.

I'll be at the VGC nearly the same dates as you, AZMermaid. 5/28 to 5/31 we have a 1 bedroom booked currently for my crew of 2 moms and 3 teens. The weird thing about the rolling cancellations is that I'm booking whatever I have the points for now, then once a cancellation I wait list for a larger room so we can spread out since then I'll have points to burn. Having another May reservation after the last one got cancelled and I almost ended up with expiring points stuck in 2019 UY, but we do love that weekend for Disney. Here's hoping the parks will open by then in some capacity.

Was supposed to take my daughter in November for her very first trip but that didn't happen obviously. Tentatively planning to take her in May assuming it is open and that I am successfully in my 2nd trimester of pregnancy with her sibling (upside of IVF is you pick a month to implant the embryo) since anything an 18 month old can ride a pregnant momma can ride too. We will probably splurge and stay at the Grand for it's convenience factor though I don't have the official dates yet.
That’s awesome! I hope everything goes well for your family!

I'll be at the VGC nearly the same dates as you, AZMermaid. 5/28 to 5/31 we have a 1 bedroom booked currently for my crew of 2 moms and 3 teens. The weird thing about the rolling cancellations is that I'm booking whatever I have the points for now, then once a cancellation I wait list for a larger room so we can spread out since then I'll have points to burn. Having another May reservation after the last one got cancelled and I almost ended up with expiring points stuck in 2019 UY, but we do love that weekend for Disney. Here's hoping the parks will open by then in some capacity.
We are usually one bedroom people too. We actually are doing a studio for the first time this trip. We did that to conserve points.... now probably not necessary! I’ve been cycling weekends forward too. I’m debating if I should do so with my Jan trip. I’m debating just taking him to FL to universal instead. We were going to do one day at Universal CA because he’s into Harry Potter right now. I am worried if we keep pushing it, we will miss the window where he’s way into it!

I am worried if we keep pushing it, we will miss the window where he’s way into it!
The window that they are into things definitely goes by fast! Our now-teens were so much more excited about stuff when they were smaller and cuter, although even as young as 5 they consistently chose food (esp adventurous ones like escargot) over characters. But HPland is just ... awesome and impressively wonderful whether or not you like HP, so I think you're pretty safe (on both coasts). Its weird what changes. Our kids used to beg to go to the pool, then want to stay all day. Now we have to force them to go but once they're in they're happy. :confused3

But HPland is just ... awesome and impressively wonderful whether or not you like HP, so I think you're pretty safe (on both coasts).

that’s good to know! I just talked with him and he didn’t like the idea of only universal and no Disney (good boy) so he says he’d rather wait for CA. Staying in FL longer isn’t really an option with work, school, sports, money etc.

So, we were supposed to go back in June for our first family trip! That obviously didn’t happen, and then switched to November, which is obviously not happening either. Lol I’m sure our story is the same as most on this thread. :) So, our 3rd attempt will be May 9-15. Crossing our fingers that the 3rd time is the charm, but we are prepared to have to change dates again. Hoping everyone in this thread gets to go in May! ❤️

We'll be at VGC from the 4th-the 6th for sure and HOPEFULLY and DLR from the 6th-8th (depending on budget). This is for our 10th wedding anniversary so I hope it will be open!!! *crosses fingers*

Grad nights have been cancelled. Good news for anyone staying during that time, but a bummer for the kids. Hopefully that isn't foreshadowing as to what they expect for May and more of a decision that teens won't reliably socially distance and there will be too many of them to monitor.

I guess a lot of people want to go Memorial Day weekend. I called Member Services to unborrow some points that somehow got pulled from '21 into '20, bank everything I'm not planning on using into my next use year in June, make it so that my spring reservation would be able to cancel and bank 30 days out by moving that reservation to my other contract UY as I wait to see whether the parks open or not. (The previous sentence will probably only make sense to DVC people.)

In the process the MS person cancelled my Memorial Day weekend reservation by mistake, so now I only have 1 night and have the other waitlisted. =( Some other member got my 1 bedroom for the weekend.

Hoping that it comes through before 1/31 since I have to bank the points by then if it doesn't match, and one night seems pointless to come to SoCal for when we don't know if the parks will be open. We'd definitely go to enjoy the resort & food options if it was 2 nights for this trip.

Tentatively looking at Memorial Day Weekend too! Probably just the Friday though in the parks. This was originally April, then November, then December......... May 2021 sounds feasible but who knows! Coming from the east coast to see family and tack on a day in the parks so the kids can see what DLR is like. We usually fly into SNA, but as of right now SAN is SO much cheaper. Not sure what to do. It's an extra $200/pp. $800 goes a long way. We previously had Homewood Suites booked for April but then booked PPH for November b/c it was a nice discount. Not sure what to do this time around. Fingers crossed!

I am booked at Grand for April 11 - 16, but not sure about what California is going to be looking like then. I also already booked my Halloween trip for Oct 11-15th at the Grand.

We usually fly into SNA, but as of right now SAN is SO much cheaper. Not sure what to do. It's an extra $200/pp. $800 goes a long way. We previously had Homewood Suites booked for April but then booked PPH for November b/c it was a nice discount. Not sure what to do this time around. Fingers crossed!
For that price difference, I'd fly into SAN and take the Amtrak up to DLR if it is open (my current guess is that it'll reopen in April-ish). That is a beautiful relaxing train ride with most of it having a view of the ocean. Last few times I took it I paid $20 per person.

I'll be curious to see if the hotels of the DL resort end up running discounts/specials after reopening to get customers in or if there will be so much pent-up demand they won't bother. We had been thinking of adding a stay at the DLH sometime during this AP year in order to stretch out the VGC points to more trips and stay somewhere different that's still on-site (we love the pool there!), but now we have more points from all the cancelled trips and the DLH Villas are only a few years away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter