Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

Yes, this is correct,or at least how it has been in the past. DH and I did the CC Challenge in 2016, running the official race at the crack of dawn. Once that was over and we were back on the ship, DS was our running the regular one. As for it being timed however, there is a time clock over the start/finish line, however it is not an official timed race as there are no chips in the bibs. You just sort of guess based on what the time was when you crossed the start line. ;)

Yes. That is what I meant by not timed. Probably should have used “not chipped” though non-runners who just want to do it as an excursion on CC might not get what that means.

Yes. That is what I meant by not timed. Probably should have used “not chipped” though non-runners who just want to do it as an excursion on CC might not get what that means.

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the part where you said the official Challenge 5K will be a timed race. While there is a clock overhead, there is no "official" timing for that race as the bibs are not chipped and there are no actual results posted after the race (same as the unofficial 5K)

As I understand it, yes. There will be the runDisney one for those who have paid for the challenge, and that will be a timed, legitimate 5K, and then there will be the free "fun" run which is not timed and not a true 5K. That is how it has been in the past anyway.

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the part where you said the official Challenge 5K will be a timed race. While there is a clock overhead, there is no "official" timing for that race as the bibs are not chipped and there are no actual results posted after the race (same as the unofficial 5K)

Interesting.

Slight correction to my post above...the clocks are actually on either side of the start line, not overhead as I had noted. There was a little blow up archway type thing over head. I knew there was something above, but had to look at my pictures to refresh my memory. :laughing:

As a side note, I believe the 5Ks on land are not timed either. I've only done 10K/halves/full, but I believe I have heard that about the 5Ks in the past.

Slight correction to my post above...the clocks are actually on either side of the start line, not overhead as I had noted. There was a little blow up archway type thing over head. I knew there was something above, but had to look at my pictures to refresh my memory. :laughing:

As a side note, I believe the 5Ks on land are not timed either. I've only done 10K/halves/full, but I believe I have heard that about the 5Ks in the past.
The only chipped 5k bib is for Dopey during marathon weekend

Thanks, if it ends up being different this year i’ll Let you all know. I knownDisney sent me an e-mail about the 5K after I booked back in October, but I didn’t think anyhpthing of it until recently. Couldn’t tell you what it said.

Actually, I just found the email from DCL:

“We are truly excited that you will be joining us aboard the January 14, 2019, Disney Dream sailing. As a Guest already scheduled on this cruise, we want you to know about the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge, a runDisney event taking place as part of Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend events.

For the fifth year, the popular Castaway Cay 5K island run will become a challenge event for participants registered in any eligible race during the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. Participants on your sailing who complete the Castaway Cay 5K Challenge and a Marathon Weekend race event will earn the Castaway Cay 5K finishers medallion and the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge medal, in addition to their Marathon Weekend medals. Participants must register through the runDisney.com website and complete both events within the pacing requirements. Registered participants in this challenge event will pick up their race packets at the runDisney Health and Fitness Expo at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex during the marathon weekend.

Guests on your sailing, who would like to run in the Castaway Cay 5K but have not registered for any Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events, may still participate in the Castaway Cay 5K to receive the finishers' medallion only.

While the 5K course spans our island paradise and promises lots of sun and sand, on this particular day the race will also feature some magical Disney surprises along the way. Please visit http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/ to learn more about this exciting challenge event.

Thank you again for sailing with us. We look forward to seeing you in January.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

It sounds to me like there is one race, and all can participate?

Interesting. Especially because the people doing the challenge pay a pretty penny to do it - in addition to their cruise fare. I’d be pretty ticked off if I paid for it and then found out anyone on the ship could do it also without paying extra. I’ll bet they get pushback - or at least negative feedback and a decrease in registrations next year - from the Challengers about it once they realize.

The year we did the challenge there was a challenge 5K and a free one. Different route (for the challenge) and a medal that was different then the free one.

Wow, that is interesting. The one thing that sticks out in my mind from doing the challenge 5K is how packed it was. We pretty much jogged the course as we couldn't run our regular pace (then again we were still feeling the effects from the 26.2 miles we had run 3 days earlier, LOL). I can't imagine them throwing in a couple hundred more people, unless maybe many have not signed up for this years challenge?

I personally wouldn't be upset about having to pay for it vs those who didn't because I know I was paying for the awesome medal (and tshirt). Those who didn't sign up for the challenge wouldn't get that and that was really my goal.

Please let us know how it turns out @shawy1269.

Last edited:
Wow, that is interesting. The one thing that sticks out in my mind from doing the challenge 5K is how packed it was. We pretty much jogged the course as we couldn't run our regular pace (then again we were still feeling the effects from the 26.2 miles we had run 3 days earlier, LOL). I can't imagine them throwing in a couple hundred more people, unless maybe many have not signed up for this years challenge?

I personally wouldn't be upset about having to pay for it vs those who didn't because I know I was paying for the awesome medal (and tshirt). Those who didn't sign up for the challenge wouldn't get that and that was really my goal.

Please let us know how it turns out @shawy1269.
We are doing the challenge this year and I agree not a big deal to share the course. The more the merrier, but I would suspect that since the challenge people have to “maintain a 16 min per mile pace” that the non challenge folks will be started behind the “official” race participants.

None of the races on race weekend have sold out this year. With the overall attendance being down I suspect that the Castaway Cay Challenge also has a lower amount registered. Since Disney is so good at crowd management they probably figured it is more beneficial to just do one 5k that day.

Actually, I just found the email from DCL:

“We are truly excited that you will be joining us aboard the January 14, 2019, Disney Dream sailing. As a Guest already scheduled on this cruise, we want you to know about the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge, a runDisney event taking place as part of Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend events.

For the fifth year, the popular Castaway Cay 5K island run will become a challenge event for participants registered in any eligible race during the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. Participants on your sailing who complete the Castaway Cay 5K Challenge and a Marathon Weekend race event will earn the Castaway Cay 5K finishers medallion and the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge medal, in addition to their Marathon Weekend medals. Participants must register through the runDisney.com website and complete both events within the pacing requirements. Registered participants in this challenge event will pick up their race packets at the runDisney Health and Fitness Expo at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex during the marathon weekend.

Guests on your sailing, who would like to run in the Castaway Cay 5K but have not registered for any Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events, may still participate in the Castaway Cay 5K to receive the finishers' medallion only.

While the 5K course spans our island paradise and promises lots of sun and sand, on this particular day the race will also feature some magical Disney surprises along the way. Please visit http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/ to learn more about this exciting challenge event.

Thank you again for sailing with us. We look forward to seeing you in January.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

It sounds to me like there is one race, and all can participate?
I reread the DCL email that you posted and it does not sound like they are combining the challenge and normal DCL 5k. What it does show is that you can still sign up AND PAY to run the challenge 5k. My guess is they were still trying to drum up business for marathon weekend.

What do you do with your children under 10 if you want to run the 5K at Castaway Cay?

The club on Castaway Cay is Scuttles Cove, I believe, but not sure what time they open. The 5k is pretty early so definitely check on that if no one else replies with more specifics.

The other option is they can still go with you. The cast members will allow them to do the event, they don’t get a number and they usually give them a slightly different medal (the one people get for winning trivia and such). Our sone went with when he was 8.

I’m guessing you are talking about the normal cruise stop 5K and not the runDisney 5k on the Dream departing tomorrow (Monday).

Every time I have been to CC and done the 5K, families have been dropping kids off at Scuttles Cove as they pass it on their way to the starting line for the event. With the exception of our most recent cruise on the Fantasy in November, there was an onboard assembly point and families needing to drop off kids at Scuttles Cove were in the lead group leaving the ship, so it must have been open right at the start of CC debarkation.

We are going on a cruise in November. I have seen conflicting things, we have two boys they will be 11 and 7 at the time of the cruise. I am mostly concerned that the 7 year old might not be able to run. I've seen where he can run, but not have an official bib and medal? I don't want him left out if he wants to do it, so if he can't I may skip it. Just trying to get a real answer. Thanks for the help!

The minimum age to register for this free event is ten years old. Your eight year old is welcome to enjoy some time with the Disney Counselors at Scuttle's Cove or walk with you as your cheering squad to the finish line (but cannot officially participate in the race). Copied from someone else that asked the question.

we just did it on saturday 12/11
there is no official start
you start when you want
there is no registration
no bibs with numbers
after the run/walk you go to the bike rental place and tell them you did the 5K and they give you a medallion

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter