Official Camping Recipe Thread!

Tented1 said:
I'm cooking this at home right now, it still has about an hour to go. It SMELLS so good!

MEXICAN CROCKPOT CHICKEN recipe above.
Very good' we will have this at FW on our Dec. trip after a day in the parks

Used fat free cream cheese and sour cream. I added some minced garlic to the recipe, a touch of cumin, salt and pepper.

When I added the dairy products I also added a large tortilla torn into very small pieces.

Could be eaten over rice instead of adding tortilla but this might diminish the flavor.

Tried this one last night:

3 to 4 boneless pork loin chops
1 pack Lipton onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Rice
Salt
Pepper
Minced garlic
Red pepper

Combine soup mix and soup with 2 cups water, season. Add 1 soup can of rice. Put in meat (original recipe said pork or chicken). Can also use whatever cream soup you prefer.

Cover cook in crockpot in low 6-8 hours. Chicken takes less time.

This will definitely be Eaten at FW in December!

Easiest Chicken Tacos (crockpot)

For a large family or group -

24 oz Jar of Salsa
1 packet taco seasoning
6 Chicken breasts

Mix the salsa and seasoning in crockpot. Add Chicken.

Cook on high 4 hours or low 6 hours.

When done, shred chicken with a fork.

Scoop into tortillas and add toppings of choice.

bumping this up since I'm a newbie camper & just beginning to look for recipes.

Looking for all things EASY!:rotfl2:

ya know I'm wanting to cook traditional camp food (at least in my mind its traditional).

hamburgers/hotdogs...

I'd eat them everyday, 2 meals a day if the fam would let me. :thumbsup2

But that's all I know that would be considered traditional camping food, other than a sandwich. Don't remember what else my mom cooked as a kid.

How long do you cook this?

This is an old thread so you might not get an answer from the poster, so I will try to help ;) I would cook the pork lion (thawed) for about 8-10 hours on low, or about 4-6 hrs. on high. Probably would be more savory on low. Just check it at about 8 hrs. as slow cookers vary in their temps. Happy cooking (and eating). I'm from S. LA :) (home of the best food in the world!)

I was thinking about the same amount of time you suggested. Seems to be the same for just about every recipe. We're meeting friends for a three week stay next year and crockpot cooking would be great!

Nice to meet a fellow Louisianian! And you're right, best food in the world!

We had spare ribs cooked in a crockpot for the first time just the other day and they were great.

1-full rack of ribs (approx. 3lbs.)
1/2 onion chopped.
barbacue sauce(we used stubbs hickory bourbon)

Cut the rack into 3 pieces to fit into the crock pot
rub the ribs with salt and pepper
put the ribs,onion,and sauce into the crock pot
stir it up to coat the ribs
cook on low for 8-10 hrs.

Cheesy Slow-Cooked Chicken :

2 lbs. boneless chicken
2 ( 10 3/4 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
1 ( 10 3/4/ oz. ) can of cheddar cheese soup
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
uncooked egg-noodles

Place chicken in the slow cooker. Mix the undiluted soups together with the garlic powder and pour over chicken. Add the water, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender. Add uncooked egg-noodles to slow- cooker 30 min. before serving. Yields 8 servings :cloud9:

I have made this countless times! I know its from the first page of this thread but I had to say thanks!:cool1:

I have some to share but I have to go look them up... for now I am subscribing. I am trying to write out my menu for next month so I will be trying many of these at home this month so see how the family likes them so I am ready to pack! :D

Our one must cook recipe every camping trip (even if it's 100 degrees outside!--we did just that last July!) is the chicken pot pie recipe form the Papa Dutch website. Once you try it, you won't want chicken pot pie any other way...even though it takes some time to cook. As soon as we mention going camping, DS (5) immediately says "Can we have chicken pot pie?"

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipe-chickenpotpie.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter