Official Birthday/Anniversary Cake thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...I called and got more info! I have seen many pics with the Birthday cupcakes and was interested in something small since my 4 yr old wont eat much. So I was told they give the cupcakes free for people celebrating their birthday (which we are) so I ordered her the slipper dessert to go with it! I think that will be plenty for my daugher!

Jessica

Are the mini castle cake and slipper available at CRT? Any help is much appreciated!!
Thanks

You can only get the mini wedding castle cake at GF, you can get the slipper at Cinderellas, or GF. Gf slipper is about 3 dollars more than Cinderellas which is 12.50, and gf I believe was 14.50 have no idea why.

Go to this link and you'll see what Im talking about: http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=13634793&postcount=10

If you are wanting that white chocolate sign you will have to order it with the cake for additional cost. Not sure if they still do it, or not since they have cracked down obviously on what they allow to be customized. I guess maybe they figured they were not making enough by allowing the 8 inch to be customized fillings/cake flavors, so they decided to just offer basic vanilla, or chocolate which is all that was offered unless you moved up to the large cake. You will have to call GF, and speak to them as obviously not long ago they were not this strict. I was told by the GF it was the pastry chef who cracked down, and told them no more pick up's and such. They said he told them absolutley not anymore. I dunno what is going on with them since that was my first time going to wdw. I am not sure if I will try using GF again, or not. I just was shocked for such a gorgeous and nice resort their customer service was prety unhelpfull or friendly. I know when my husband asked them if he could customize, or change anything with the mini wedding cake he was told no it was offered only as that. Call and ask is the best thing honestly.

G.F. bakery = MEAN. lol I have to laugh now for lack of a better emotion haha . I just called to order a cake for a birthday dinner at Narcoossees and that was fun haha ! She asked how many ppl in our party and told her 3, so she told me to get the generic 6inch when i got there, but i explained i wanted to order the cake and i would pay for the bigger one so what does she care if i order the bigger one geez lady IM PAYING FOR IT! So i was like fine, then ill order the minicake and she tells me they dont have mini cakes so i was like oo i saw a pic of one with the cindy topper and shes like o u want a miniture castle cake and i had to laugh sory but didnt I say mini cakes lol. So thank goodness she let me buy it lol and I asked if they could put a happy bday sign on it like ive seen and she said no lol! So that was a nice and now i believe what everyone was saying about the GF bakery they arent nice and I didnt think i was asking for much simply a standard cake that I was willing to pay for , really no need to tell me I cant buy it for 3 people. I could understand her telling me it was large and suggesting the smaller but to give me a hard time when I chose it anyway was unnecessary. So heads up to anyone calling. And by no means was I at all nasty or rude to this lady the whole time even when I argued for the larger cake I was completly nice, even though i wanted to hang up! haha :)

I've just ordered a birthday cake from the Wilderness Lodge bakery for my upcoming meal at Artist Point. They are making me a special gluten free cake, there are only 3 of us but when I said I wanted to customise it, they suggested the 10 inch with no problem at all :cool1:

Well after reading all the negative comments, I decided to call also. I ordered an 8inch chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream. It will have the white chocolate Minnie and Mickey on it. I asked that it say Happy 10th Anniversary. I spoke with Linda who seemed ok. I actually wanted the White Mickey, but she suggested Mickey and Minnie as it is for our vow renewal. We will see if I actually get what I ordered?! The cost was $60.

I also oredered the slipper dessert for the tea at the Grand Floridian Cafe that I am taking my girls to.

We will see how it turns out in April!:confused3

Oh well, I"M GOING TO DISNEY!!!!!:cheer2: :cheer2:

Kim
momofdbsdca

Ok...I called and got more info! I have seen many pics with the Birthday cupcakes and was interested in something small since my 4 yr old wont eat much. So I was told they give the cupcakes free for people celebrating their birthday (which we are) so I ordered her the slipper dessert to go with it! I think that will be plenty for my daugher!

Jessica

Hey Jessica,

Where did they say they give the cupcakes for free? Is this only at GF restaurants? I was going to order dd a cake for her 7th birthday, but since it seems like it is going to be such a headache I'd rather just settle for a cupcake. I want at least something to make her feel special!!

I received a free cupcake at Chef Mickey's, regardless of the fact that we had ordered a birthday cake. I also received one at CRT.

I think most places give you cupcakes for a Birthday. I got a lot of special treatment when I went last year for my birthday at all the different TS.

* A tiara and a placemat signed by the characters along with a cupcake at 1900 Park Fare

* A magic wand, a mini cake and a Magical Moments Certificate signed by the Princesses at CRT

* A free chocolate mousse dessert at Alfredo's in Italy. They even sang Happy Birthday to me in Italian!

* A cupcake and a placemat signed by the characters at Chef Mickey's

* A Cupcake and a Magical Moments Certificate signed by the characters at Ohana Breakfast

I'm sure there is more but I can't remember the rest!! I can't wait to head back there in September for my next Birthday trip!! princess: :cloud9:

See what I mean when I rant about them lol. I was WILLING to order a 8 inch even though for 2 people it would have been to much just so I could customize it. When I told them I was willing to order an 8 inch and PAY for it whatever extra it was then I was told NO customizing it that would need to be an even larger cake. I have read all the way through this thread and have seen 8 inch cakes from there that have been customized cake/filling, but was told NO you must order a cake starting at 16 people. You had no issues with an 8 inch with mickey top if you are staying there, or dining there because you only ordered chocolate/chocolate filling (this is just what I am assuming please forgive me if I am wrong) cause I was told that's all I was allowed on 6, or 8 inch was chocolate/chocolate, or vanillia/vanilla. Heck here you are saying I am throwing my money at you can you just do something nice, and they rather snuff you, or offer you a generic. If I wanted generic I would have ordered my DH a surprise cake out of the frozen supermarket aisle.

I just talked with Contemporary Resort concierge regarding a birthday cake for our dinner at California Grill. He referred me to Private Dining. We are a party of 6 and I asked about a 8 inch cake. They gave me two choices - all vanilla cake or an all chocolate cake. No special decorations are available for that size.

This seems to confirm that if you want special decorations you need to order the 10 inch size cake. I decided not to go to the 10 inch cake because that would be just too big for us.

B) the generic cakes look yucky

On our December 2006 trip we had three cakes:

1) The Generic at Garden Grille ($13)
2) A MK Bakery custom at LTT that was Christmas themed ($30)
3) A MK bakery custom at CP with Donald and Daisy.($30)

I honestly have to tell you that the generic at Garden Grille tasted just as good as the other 2 custom we had. Now granted, these were made by the MK Bakery and not the GF Bakery so I can't compare those, but the generic really did taste fine. We did pre-order it, so perhaps it was taken out early in the day so it wouldn't still be partially frozen like some people refer to (maybe those are the ones you order when you get there?) :confused3

Does anyone know what cakes are available for purchase at the Boardwalk Bakery? I'm talking about just walking up and buying a cake. No special requests or anything. Just looking for some info on what is normally available on a daily basis.

We are thinking about ordering my BIL a b'day cake when we are dining at Crystal Palace our first night. He is a huge Tigger fan - anybody know what type of cakes they have. We are a party of 10 if that helps any?

Well geez arent they a tough cookie. :rotfl: You're making me wanna say screw it dont worry about getting the mini cake from GF and just order the zebra cake from AKL and have it delivered to my room or to Boma. Anyone have the zebra cake from AKL? Is it any good? Yeah it maybe $50, but hey its our anniversary cake and at least we wont have to buy any extra snacks at night when we get back to the room cuz we would have the cake. Just have to make sure I bring Glade's Press N Seal.

G.F. bakery = MEAN. lol I have to laugh now for lack of a better emotion haha . I just called to order a cake for a birthday dinner at Narcoossees and that was fun haha ! She asked how many ppl in our party and told her 3, so she told me to get the generic 6inch when i got there, but i explained i wanted to order the cake and i would pay for the bigger one so what does she care if i order the bigger one geez lady IM PAYING FOR IT! So i was like fine, then ill order the minicake and she tells me they dont have mini cakes so i was like oo i saw a pic of one with the cindy topper and shes like o u want a miniture castle cake and i had to laugh sory but didnt I say mini cakes lol. So thank goodness she let me buy it lol and I asked if they could put a happy bday sign on it like ive seen and she said no lol! So that was a nice and now i believe what everyone was saying about the GF bakery they arent nice and I didnt think i was asking for much simply a standard cake that I was willing to pay for , really no need to tell me I cant buy it for 3 people. I could understand her telling me it was large and suggesting the smaller but to give me a hard time when I chose it anyway was unnecessary. So heads up to anyone calling. And by no means was I at all nasty or rude to this lady the whole time even when I argued for the larger cake I was completly nice, even though i wanted to hang up! haha :)

After following this thread for many months you can definitely see a trend here of Disney not wanting to bother with custom cakes anymore (exception for weddings). I guess the chefs at the bakeries/restaurants feel that it is not worth the effort.

Either that or thanks to the DISBoards, they are getting way to many orders that they can handle. I mean think about it. Before the DISBoards came around, when you went to Disney you hardly saw anything happen like people getting customized cakes. Now, when you go to Disney, you probably see it all over the place. Especially for those who order cakes for anniversaries and birthdays when they arent going until months before or after the event. Not that its wrong, but more and more people are starting to celebrate things going down just to celebrate it down there, regardless how long its been since the event actually happened or when its gonna happen. Just like I remember reading this one post where someone was celebrating their actul birthday and then all of a sudden, all the kids caught wind of it and they all wanted free cupcakes to, so next thing you know, all the kids are suddenly celebrating their birthday at that moment. It has gotten crazy. I wouldnt be surprised if Disney starts wanting to see proof that its your actual birthday or anniversary or they do away with cakes all together except for weddings.

After following this thread for many months you can definitely see a trend here of Disney not wanting to bother with custom cakes anymore (exception for weddings). I guess the chefs at the bakeries/restaurants feel that it is not worth the effort.

I can understand how they might possibly be overwhelmed with orders. What I can't understand is why they don't just hire a few more people to fill them. Really, when there seem to be so many of us out there willing to pay upwards of $50 for an 8" cake, they've got to be making a pretty decent profit on those cakes. Yes, they're nicely decorated, but an experienced cake decorator can accomplish most of what's been pictured here in a short period of time. It's not like an elaborate wedding cake that takes an entire day to frost and decorate. These cakes can be completed start to finish in well under an hour, most of them anyway. :confused3

I can see why maybe they would want proof for the actual Birthday button in the parks, but what do they care that I might celebrate my son's 10th birthday there a few weeks early with his family and grandparents, ESP if I will pay $50-$60 for a $15 cake?!
Some people can not always go on their ACTUAL birth day or anniversary. What's the difference between ordering a special cake and a special slipper dessert. You don't need a "special" day to order that!
JMHO....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter