Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

I have booked an RIP tour on 27 October with a check in time of 7pm. I have an AP. What time would you enter the park? And would you queue in the stay and scream area and do a house, maybe two before the RIP tour?

I have booked an RIP tour on 27 October with a check in time of 7pm. I have an AP. What time would you enter the park? And would you queue in the stay and scream area and do a house, maybe two before the RIP tour?
I would not do a house
I would get in the park and do the stay and scream to avoid the front gate lines
I would just wander at my own pace for a bit. Check out scare zones. Have a snack or beverage. Sit down and people watch. Chill till check in time

ETA - I say yes to do a Stay and Scream because I assume you have to do one or the other, Stay and Scream or exit. For you folks that are well experienced, is that correct? You can't just stay and wander till it starts (even if eligible to remain in the park)? If I've got that wrong and you can then I would do that and wait it out. But I have it in my mind that you have to either be in a restaurant or in Stay in Scream or exit. But I'm far from an expert on that

Last edited:
I would not do a house
I would get in the park and do the stay and scream to avoid the front gate lines
I would just wander at my own pace for a bit. Check out scare zones. Have a snack or beverage. Sit down and people watch. Chill till check in time

ETA - I say yes to do a Stay and Scream because I assume you have to do one or the other, Stay and Scream or exit. For you folks that are well experienced, is that correct? You can't just stay and wander till it starts (even if eligible to remain in the park)? If I've got that wrong and you can then I would do that and wait it out. But I have it in my mind that you have to either be in a restaurant or in Stay in Scream or exit. But I'm far from an expert on that
Correct. You cannot wander.

Why wouldn’t you go early to do a few houses? There are so many amazing details in those houses that I don’t think it’s possible to really take it all in during a single walk through. I also think that the experience can change from one walkthrough to the next depending on the scare actors and when the scares are triggered.

My understanding is that RIP acts as unlimited express pass for the rest of the evening, and you can check in and get your RIP pass before you get into a holding area. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you can just get into the express line instead of waiting during stay and scream.

If I were you, I’d go through a few houses during stay and scream. There is literally nothing else going on. Rides don’t open until the park does. Scare zones don’t have actors until the main gates open. You could get something to eat/drink, but you’re going to get dinner included with your tour when you check in at 7, so it seems a bit of a waste.

If you don’t want to keep doing houses between gates opening and RIP check in, maybe do a ride or go to Diagon Alley when it’s practically deserted because everyone is running to the houses. You could check out the scare zones, but they’re much better in the dark. My budget does not extend to RIP levels, but if it did, you best believe that I’d be taking full advantage of it!

My understanding is that RIP acts as unlimited express pass for the rest of the evening, and you can check in and get your RIP pass before you get into a holding area. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you can just get into the express line instead of waiting during stay and scream.
Ohhh, that’s a good plan.

It had a ripple effect with other houses, too. We rope dropped Bugs and Descendants, and went over to Blumhouse, which usually still has a low wait at that point (it was 15 or 20 minutes at that time on Saturday), but it was at 45 already, with all the other open studio houses having spiked waits, too. All the people usually eaten up by those two lines seemed to redistribute to the surrounding houses. But whatever, we waited our 40ish minutes at Blumhouse because at least that house is worth the wait, and we knew the line wouldn’t drop until super late.

Then we walked over to ask when Chupacabra might be opening. The TM said, no idea, and just then another TM let someone walk into the express line, and my TM said, “I guess now,” so we hightailed it through the queue, and arrived right behind another couple to be the first of the night. My sons got ahead of me, and there was no one behind me, so I had the unusual experience of being alone in some of the rooms. Then we hopped into the Dead Man’s Pier line while it still said 15, and it really was only 15. By the time we got out, both houses had waits posted around an hour.

Then when we were exiting, we saw Mummy had opened with a posted 20 minute wait, which increased to 50 after we entered the queue. We waited a little more than 20, but the result was that by a bit past 8, we had done 5 houses and gone on Mummy without express pass or stay and scream.

So after a messed up start, we made up for it with serendipitous timing. The only thing was Dead Man’s Pier was missing several scare actors, including a key one in the last room. It was our 4th walk through of the weekend, so the omissions were really obvious to us. I feel kind of bad for the people who were using their one-time express or waiting 55 minutes, but not getting the full experience. It was still beautiful and haunting, but not at its top form.
Wow you really got lucky with your timing. I kept checking the app and around 715 they were finally open with 15 min wait by the time we got there from Bugs it was 45. We ended up not doing Chuoacabra. I did feel like Dead Man’s was not as jumpy as the others but it was beautiful. Good to know they were missing some actors. Next year we are going to try for at least two days.
Just saw on various sites today that roaming Death Eaters along with Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle will return beginning this Friday through Halloween on ‘select nights’.
yeah I saw that too unfortunately we are leaving today so we’ll miss them.

Just saw on various sites today that roaming Death Eaters along with Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle will return beginning this Friday through Halloween on ‘select nights’.
Previous years have they ever given a list of dates for this? I'd love to see them but if it's only weekends I know I'm out of luck.

Previous years have they ever given a list of dates for this? I'd love to see them but if it's only weekends I know I'm out of luck.
I’m not sure of specific dates but others on here may have noted a pattern, if any, of last year’s dates… or if UO gave a specific schedule for this last year.

Chiming in on this question, and sorry if I didn't read closely enough but there seem like there are a ton of nuances. We also have an RIP tour:

1) What time would you suggest getting to the gate if you are a resort guest and you want to do a leisurely eat/drink at the HHN food booths before the RIP tour (which is at 8:00)?

2) Can you go to the VIP RIP entrance and check in for both HHN and RIP at the same window at the time answer from 1) even if your VIP isn't until 8:00?

3) Will you be allowed to go to the food booths when you enter at time 1) or will you be required to go into a holding pen for awhile?

We do have daytime park tickets for more days than we'll be there due to the current special offer so could also Stay and Scream, I just don't know how my crowd will do with being in a holding pen for 45 minutes at 5pm (that's the deal, right)?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!!

Chiming in on this question, and sorry if I didn't read closely enough but there seem like there are a ton of nuances. We also have an RIP tour:

1) What time would you suggest getting to the gate if you are a resort guest and you want to do a leisurely eat/drink at the HHN food booths before the RIP tour (which is at 8:00)?

2) Can you go to the VIP RIP entrance and check in for both HHN and RIP at the same window at the time answer from 1) even if your VIP isn't until 8:00?

3) Will you be allowed to go to the food booths when you enter at time 1) or will you be required to go into a holding pen for awhile?

We do have daytime park tickets for more days than we'll be there due to the current special offer so could also Stay and Scream, I just don't know how my crowd will do with being in a holding pen for 45 minutes at 5pm (that's the deal, right)?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!!
since the park closes at 5:00, staff has to clear out the day park guests before hhn can begin

Those with hhn tickets are allowed to stay in the park and stay in one of the holding pens

Depending on how quickly the park can be cleared, will determine when hhn can begin

Sometimes the all clear can happen at 5:45, sometimes it can be at 6:00

Not all houses will be open that early but a few will

I don’t know what time food vendors are open as it varies by location.
My guess would be after 6:00

Since your tour is at 8:00, you should check in half hour prior.

I base that info on my past tours I have done.

I read this somewhere and couldn’t find it… googled and looked on first few posts. Where is the holding area for Dead Man’s Pier?

I read this somewhere and couldn’t find it… googled and looked on first few posts. Where is the holding area for Dead Man’s Pier?
New York. But it doesn’t open til 6 pm so if you wanted you would have time to do Halloween and/or Coven before that opens.

Does anyone who’s done the public RIP tour this year have a list of food that they’re serving at La Bamba this year? I’ve watched a couple of vlogs on YouTube but it just seemed more like themed desserts than hot food this time.

Also, how long on average does the public tour last and how many people were in your group because one of the videos I saw the other day looked like it had about 20 people in and I thought it was only supposed to be 12 in a public tour?

Any reviews of the tour so far this year would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone who’s done the public RIP tour this year have a list of food that they’re serving at La Bamba this year? I’ve watched a couple of vlogs on YouTube but it just seemed more like themed desserts than hot food this time.

Also, how long on average does the public tour last and how many people were in your group because one of the videos I saw the other day looked like it had about 20 people in and I thought it was only supposed to be 12 in a public tour?

Any reviews of the tour so far this year would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the list I got off the RIP Tour social media group. I am not as sure about the desserts. The desserts are all mini, except the cookies. If there is a question mark, then I am not absolutely sure it is there. It may be from a previous year.

Seasoned Spanish olives
Various mustards
Crudite (cooked & raw vegetables for dipping)
Cheese?
Hummus?
Salad?
Pita?
Fruit
Spicy fried zombie brains (cauliflower)
Roasted cauliflower
Beef sliders
Vegan quinoa & hominy chili
Mac n cheese
Nashville style chicken
Pizza fries
Cookies
Chocolate cupcake
Pumpkin spice square
Macaron?

I apologize if this has been asked, I have searched the forum and can't find anything. But have the all the Scream Early passes for the year been sold out? A group of 4 of us are going on 10/12 and thought I should ask around. Thanks

We’re here and excited for our public rip tour tomorrow - first timers at HHN! We really wanted to try and see some death eaters tonight but it’s pouring. Fingers crossed for better weather tomorrow night… do the scare zones still happen in the rain?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!