Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

The question is are they going to do kessell again? They kinda had to do something this year because of the number of people who signed up for SWDS wanting to get Kessell while waiting for word on SWLS and those registrations were locked in before they cancelled SWLS. So making Kessell half virtual was a good compromise.

However that will not be the case in 2019. Keeping a star wars virtual is a good idea for marketing and money but does continuing to do Kessell as half virtual/half physical make sense? Guess we'll have to wait and see what gets announced. I got the first 2 Kessell medals. Didn't bother this year because I'm not a big virtual race runner and it didn't have the same draw without the C2C component and even though kessell is one of the very best RD medals I had two of them. If they bring it back, I'll debate again doing it but not sure if I would.

I just wonder if they will bring it back since they don't need to this year since people will sign up for SWDS knowing what the situation is (regardless of what it is).

I would be very surprised if they didn't do the Kessel Run again. There are very few costs for them associated with the virtual run and given that SWDS hasn't been selling out, anything they can do to encourage more people to come out for it will likely be pursued. It doesn't really matter if it makes sense from a running or challenge set up point of view. The only thing that matters is if it makes sense from a money making point of view and it looks like an easy revenue stream for them to maintain with minimal effort.

I bet they do Kessel again to go along with the Virtual, I can't think of a reason not to. It seemed go over very well and sold out so a win for RunDisney. I've read comments elsewhere of people already wanting to do it again next year, so if Run Disney sees the $$$ on the table they'll offer it again.

I bet they do Kessel again to go along with the Virtual, I can't think of a reason not to. It seemed go over very well and sold out so a win for RunDisney. I've read comments elsewhere of people already wanting to do it again next year, so if Run Disney sees the $$$ on the table they'll offer it again.
Agreed! Why turn away the $$$?? That would be VERY un-Disney... :rolleyes1

Depends on the plans for Anaheim. Was a huge draw to do both and if lots of people do it as virtual would be less likely to go to Anaheim for it in the future.

Depends on the plans for Anaheim. Was a huge draw to do both and if lots of people do it as virtual would be less likely to go to Anaheim for it in the future.

I think if and when races return to DL, the Kessel Run will return to its roots as a SWLS-SWDS combo challenge. Races are not supposed to return to DL next year, so I think at least one more year of the virtual will be in the offing.

Yeah, I'm sure it only sticks around as long as Disneyland races are on hiatus. They aren't coming back in 2019 so that's why it seems like they'll have the virtual and most likely Kessel.

I think if and when races return to DL, the Kessel Run will return to its roots as a SWLS-SWDS combo challenge. Races are not supposed to return to DL next year, so I think at least one more year of the virtual will be in the offing.
Agreed. We know that runDisney has stated that they want to resume races on the west coast once construction finishes. Keeping Kessel around may indicate current plans to resume west coast races.

I think if runDisney returns to the west coast, the Disneyland and Star Wars race themes are safe. As much as people want to think that Star Wars races are not popular, the number of finishers shows that they're doing just fine. To me, runDisney probably wants supply sufficient to meet demand instead of the years where races sold out in minutes or hours.

I think a women's themed race will return, but it may not be themed to Tinker Bell. I could see them doing a Disneyland Princess race weekend and tie the challenge medals together ala Kessel Run. I wouldn't be surprised to see Avengers get a complete theme change. They were having trouble selling it before. A theme change might fix that.

I think a women's themed race will return, but it may not be themed to Tinker Bell. I could see them doing a Disneyland Princess race weekend and tie the challenge medals together ala Kessel Run. I wouldn't be surprised to see Avengers get a complete theme change. They were having trouble selling it before. A theme change might fix that.

I think Tink and the pink C2C is pretty much a lock to return.

As for Avengers re-theming, say it with me: "Villains! Villains! Villains!" It would be perfectly located right there at Halloween, too! That might be enough to get me back out there for another race weekend...

I could see them doing a Disneyland Princess race weekend and tie the challenge medals together ala Kessel Run.
THIS. I think that a DL Princess themed race would be awesome. It would have to be a little different than the WDW Princess weekend clearly, like how Star Wars has LS vs DS, but having a girly theme, if you will, on both coasts with their own medal is awesome.

But I want a Challenge medal AND the Pink C2C.

As for Avengers re-theming, say it with me: "Villains! Villains! Villains!" It would be perfectly located right there at Halloween, too!
YES PLEASE.

As for Avengers re-theming, say it with me: "Villains! Villains! Villains!" It would be perfectly located right there at Halloween, too! That might be enough to get me back out there for another race weekend...
Like I said, I think a womens' themed race weekend and special coast to coast medal are a lock. I just think that having the same race weekend themed to the same character becomes limiting after a while. We've already seen the Tink weekend 5K and 10K races branch out to more Peter Pan themes.

I think it would be awesome to pair a villains race on one coast with a heroes race on the other coast and then theme the bicoastal challenge medal to one movie every year. Similar idea to the Kessel Run and if you finish both the hero and villain races in the same year, you also get the traditional Coast to Coast. Who knows what happens if Disney gets full control of Marvel back from Universal on the east coast? Could we see Superheroes on the west coast and the villains on the east coast?

There was a lot of chatter about a villains race during the expo at SWDS this year, anyone else catch that? I really hope that gets traction!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!