Official 2017 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend (Jan 12th - 15th, 2017)

Do those of you that use mylar blankets on race morning just throw them away, like the throw-away sweatshirts? And where exactly do you toss them? I imagine that you can't just throw them on the ground where there are runners.
There are trash bins on the side of the course. Be careful using the Mylar though, it can mess up your timing chip.

I was going to say that we are *really* spoiled up here in Nor Cal. It's been a very mild winter and the mornings have been cold this summer (60s). I'm cold when I start out, but warm up quickly. But I'm thinking that at 5am on a January morning, it'll be even colder.

There are trash bins on the side of the course. Be careful using the Mylar though, it can mess up your timing chip.

So, what if I have a throw-away sweatshirt. Do I throw them in the trash bins as well? We can't have mylar messing up my slow times, lol! Or maybe I'll go with the trusty old trash bag. I told DH that (he's running the 10K with me) and he looked at me like I had two heads.

Last edited:
I was going to say that we are *really* spoiled up here in Nor Cal. It's been a very mild winter and the mornings have been cold this summer (60s). I'm cold when I start out, but warm up quickly. But I'm thinking that at 5am on a January morning, it'll be even colder.

So, what if I have a throw-away sweatshirt. Do I throw them in the trash bins as well? We can't have mylar messing up my slow times, lol! Or maybe I'll go with the trusty old trash bag. I told DH that (he's running the 10K with me) and he looked at me like I had two heads.
They'll collect discarded items such as sweatshirts, et all and donate them so you don't want to throw those away.

@94bruin Being from SoCal, I love the heat. But now that I started running, I'm so happy I live in NorCal (but still miss the heat when I'm not running!)

Yikes - I had no idea mylar blankets did that!

If memory serves, they always say to discard any mylar blankets before going over the start line. In other words, it could only mess with your chip if you cross the start mat with it and will not cause a problem if you discard it shortly before starting.

If memory serves, they always say to discard any mylar blankets before going over the start line. In other words, it could only mess with your chip if you cross the start mat with it and will not cause a problem if you discard it shortly before starting.

Ah, I gotcha! Makes sense.

Do those of you that use mylar blankets on race morning just throw them away, like the throw-away sweatshirts? And where exactly do you toss them? I imagine that you can't just throw them on the ground where there are runners.
When I'm in the corral I stay near the side. Then when I'm done with it I just toss it over the "fence" they have up. At SW last year before the race there was an employee walking along the "fence" line and picking up trash so I just handed it to him. Definitely toss it before you get to the start line as it messes with the bib tracking.

Ah, the Socal upbringing has spoiled us! I also overheat quickly but the cold mornings of a race are tough. My first half I made a mistake and wore a jacket and gloves and ended up having to tie it around my waist and carry the gloves in my hand after about 0.25 miles. The second half I was just in a tank (it was Tink, pictured in my avatar). That was in May, but January is obviously colder. So I'm thinking about using a mylar blanket or perhaps a garbage bag? I was too shy the first time, but noticed a lot of people using garbage bags and at Tink a lot had saved the mylar blankets from the 10k as @Sleepless Knight mentioned.

YES! Super weather-spoiled and thin-blooded now. haha. I have a ton of hoodies I don't wear anymore since I keep buying new ones at each race, so I use the old ones at the starts now. I'm not sure what I will use when I only have RunDisny race hoodies left. lol My avatar photo was me for Avengers, that stayed pretty cool last year. I don't think I rolled the sleeves down the entire time in the parks. AND I wore gloves. If any of you saw the Disney Parks blog post about the Spotify playlist, I'm dead center in that main photo. lol. Gloves and arm sleeves and all. lol

When I'm in the corral I stay near the side. Then when I'm done with it I just toss it over the "fence" they have up. At SW last year before the race there was an employee walking along the "fence" line and picking up trash so I just handed it to him. Definitely toss it before you get to the start line as it messes with the bib tracking.

THIS. Took the words right out of my mouth.

I was born and raised in SoCal and recently moved to the great, white north from Florida so I am definitely a weather wimp! I have used garbage bags, but have taken to saving my mylars and just leaving one or two in my suitcase in case I need it. I discard it, as they instruct us to do, before the start, so it doesn't mess with the chip timing, but oh they come in so handy while you wait to start!

I have a 9 mile long run on schedule for this weekend. Due to scheduling issues, I'm gonna have to do it on the treadmill. I'm pretty much dreading it.
I started off simply running on a treadmill....then figured out that I can't run in the same place for more than 30 minutes. I now only run outside....I get bored real easy.

Training update.....last 2 runs I ran for 8 miles.....which is about a mile longer than normal. My ankles, calves and thighs are sore. I have to get used to running this long.....:sad1:....it's gonna be a long 4 months.

Am I then only person that always has to have a nice Sunnyside Eggs/Ham/Hash Browns ( specifically ) after your race is completed?

Anyone have any suggestions for a good breakfast after the run at DCA?

I'm a big fan of Carnation Cafe inside Disneyland itself for after the 10K. It's a nice way to relax after the race and start to replenish for the 1/2 the next morning if you're running the 1/2. Trick is since it's inside Disneyland you will need park tickets and I recommend getting a reservation ahead of time so you're guaranteed a seat.

The kids and Wife will be flying down with me for the weekend and we'll make it a 1.5 day visit to the park ( the race falling over the MLK Holiday weekend makes it easier for the kids to take time off ). I'll book some place to have breakfast.....I just have to figure out where to go on which day.

After just running 8 miles....I was sore ( which my Wife ALWAYS points out after a run ). I realized that I'll be walking around the park for the rest of the day after getting up at 4am to get ready and running for 2.5 hours. :idea:

Am I then only person that always has to have a nice Sunnyside Eggs/Ham/Hash Browns ( specifically ) after your race is completed?

Anyone have any suggestions for a good breakfast after the run at DCA?

I'm a big fan of room service after a run! I can't seem to get myself ready to leave the room until noonish usually. Being as we'll be at Stovalls again most likely I'll just grab some of the free breakfast and bring it up to my room after the race. Have you thought about Plaza Inn inside Disneyland for a post race breakfast? Thats really the only place I'm familiar with for breakfast. We used to love the breakfast at River Belle Terrace but they dont do it anymore.

The kids and Wife will be flying down with me for the weekend and we'll make it a 1.5 day visit to the park ( the race falling over the MLK Holiday weekend makes it easier for the kids to take time off ). I'll book some place to have breakfast.....I just have to figure out where to go on which day.

After just running 8 miles....I was sore ( which my Wife ALWAYS points out after a run ). I realized that I'll be walking around the park for the rest of the day after getting up at 4am to get ready and running for 2.5 hours. :idea:

Totally agree that it being the MLK holiday makes it easier to bring the kids! I'll pull mine out of school on Friday but at least they're only missing the one day. I actually find that walking around the park all day post race helps with my recovery. I always feel better the day after a disneyland half then any other halfs I've done and I honestly think its the walking.

Last weekend I ran 9 miles on the treadmill and survived. I didn't do any running this past weekend due to camping. This coming weekend I have a 10K and I"m gonna run to it so I should come in right at 10 miles. Fingers crossed.

Wow, I didn't even realize it's MLK weekend! I wasn't the biggest fan of hobbling around the parks after the Tink half. My family showed me no mercy :P

If you're not thinking about doing ADRs, there's always downtown Disney for breakfast. We did La Brea, which was OK. There was to go service on the side I wasn't aware of and that seemed more popular.

My parents asked me how long I planned to visit when I come out. I mentioned if I could swing it I was thinking of bringing my younger two since my 6 year old is allowed 10 days for an "educational" trip. I forgot about the holiday! But my parents were all over that idea so I will likely fly out a few days earlier to get them set up at my parents and then do a day or two after the races with them as well. They'll keep my kiddos while I'm at the races, although I am toying with a timeframe to take the kiddos to DL since I'll be there. I prefer not to do it over the holiday, but I think it would be best to get them settled at my parents house before I leave them for a few days. But I can't take them home and not take them "home"!

I agree, Steakhouse 55 in DLH has a phenomenal breakfast. But for the price, I'm not sure I would take kids. Reservations are a must if it's in your plans. We love the Jazz Kitchen (DTD) brunch after the half. Sitting on the patio, eating amazing New Orleans food, sipping bloody Marys, and people watching. The best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter