Official 2014 Donald Half Marathon

Well, that is such a bummer about the studios availability. I was thinking about a one bedroom though...so maybe it will work out. If not... waitlist? As I mentioned, this will be/would be our first trip using points.. and should we not be able to, I think my dh is going to feel as though I tricked him into buying something that we couldn't use. :rolleyes:

:hug:

Well, anything can change. It's why they closed that availability thread on the DVC pages, because so much can change so fast. If the availability thread were still open I'd mention that right now, THIS moment, there's a one bedroom at OKW open from the 8-12th, but the thread is not open so I won't. If I could mention it though, maybe it would help calm you that anything can happen? ;)

And I was toodling around in October and might have seen a 1 bedroom at SSR open over TOT weekend. At least right now, at this moment. I don't know if that's a host resort for TOT though.

But everything will have changed once you close and get it all worked out with member ID and all. So take nothing said here as an absolute. Though in general, the lower point rooms fill up fast (people trying to conserve points), so if you're brand new and have points to burn, you might have better luck than those of us who have used every thing already. :)

:hug:

Well, anything can change. It's why they closed that availability thread on the DVC pages, because so much can change so fast. If the availability thread were still open I'd mention that right now, THIS moment, there's a one bedroom at OKW open from the 8-12th, but the thread is not open so I won't. If I could mention it though, maybe it would help calm you that anything can happen? ;)

And I was toodling around in October and might have seen a 1 bedroom at SSR open over TOT weekend. At least right now, at this moment. I don't know if that's a host resort for TOT though.

But everything will have changed once you close and get it all worked out with member ID and all. So take nothing said here as an absolute. Though in general, the lower point rooms fill up fast (people trying to conserve points), so if you're brand new and have points to burn, you might have better luck than those of us who have used every thing already. :)

IF you were able share something like that I am sure that it would in fact put my mind at ease. ;)

Thanks!

hmmm - I will have to give more thought to the clothes eventually. We did get a dry wick sort of tank top the other day and so far I hate it - in order to get it not too big in the underarms, it's just snug everywhere else and I'm so used to loose clothing it bugs me. I suspect most running gear is made for slender folk? But, I'll give it another try another time.
I guess I'm just not running enough distance yet to have clothing issues - I like my cotton :worried:. Although I do get really hot - that's why I caved to try the sleeveless top instead of my standard t-shirt - didn't help that problem that I noticed.
We have talked about compression socks - DH and DD both now have them - so the compression shorts (or capris maybe? I don't do shorts.) sounds interesting.

No matter what type of clothing you wear, if, it is hot and humid and you are running for 30 minutes or more, Body Glide is something to try so the chaffing doesn't happen.

I was able to get Thursday the 9th at Animal Kingdom in a Jambo house studio and then I booked the 10-13 in a Kidani Savanna view studio.

I think I'm going to fly in late Wednesday but I will probably just book an airport hotel or a value if I can get a discount (military maybe?).

I've started training finally. I opted for Jeff Galloway run-walk-run since I really just want to finish and my fitness level is not that great at all truthfully.

I just did a 6.2 mile long run---my longest so far, in preparation for my first 10K in two weeks. And now I am starting to freak out a little bit!! I would love to get some advice from those of you who have run this before!! I realize these are REALLY newbie questions but I could use some help!!! Specifically:
  • How much should I run over the next two weeks? Do you take a break for a few days before the race or should I run right up until race day?
  • There is a 5K run I could do one week prior to the 10K. Would that be good preparation or too much?
  • Is there a pacing strategy for the 10K? Is it best to run a steady pace or are there portions that I should try to run faster than others?
  • Any other tips to help calm me down?? :)

As I have just revealed, I really don't know anything about racing. I hope I haven't gotten myself in over my head with the half marathon!!!

I was able to get Thursday the 9th at Animal Kingdom in a Jambo house studio and then I booked the 10-13 in a Kidani Savanna view studio.

I think I'm going to fly in late Wednesday but I will probably just book an airport hotel or a value if I can get a discount (military maybe?).

I've started training finally. I opted for Jeff Galloway run-walk-run since I really just want to finish and my fitness level is not that great at all truthfully.

Nice!

With training, don't be afraid to repeat steps. For me, I was getting everything into better health, and my lungs were pretty far behind everything else. I had to repeat more than once, to make sure my lungs could keep up with everything else.

As I have just revealed, I really don't know anything about racing. I hope I haven't gotten myself in over my head with the half marathon!!!

I think that most racers talk about "the taper", so I do think most racers would bring it down. Maybe look at one of the Galloway training plans for a 10K on rundisney.com and see what he suggests 2 weeks before?

Nice thing about the Half is that it's still a ways away. :)

Hey everyone! I'm not always an active DISer since my cruise last summer, but I'm so excited to be running this race! It will be my 4th 1/2 and my 2nd with RunDisney. My first ever was last year's W&D and then I also ran (half of) the 26.2 With Donna 1/2 and Full Marathon in Jacksonville Beach in February. In October, I'm running my first ever 1/2 with hills at the Allstate Atlanta 13.1 (KMN?).

My husband is running with me; it will be his 3rd. Our DS11 is coming with us, but not running.

How is everyone's training coming so far? We're having a hard time with all of the rain here lately in ATL; it's even more humid than normal! I have managed to convince myself ONCE to run in the rain but that was it. So I've only gotten back up to 4.5. My goal for this weekend is 5mi.

Does anyone else have any races scheduled between now and then? We're running two 5ks and the ATL 13.1, but that's it. I feel like I need a 10k, and soon! Good luck to everyone!

Just joining in. I am all signed up for my first half. Super excited. I just finished my first 10k on 4th of July. Look forward to getting to know everybody.

Just joining in. I am all signed up for my first half. Super excited. I just finished my first 10k on 4th of July. Look forward to getting to know everybody.

I see you're from ATL. Did you run the Peachtree? We have talked about running it every year since we started running (about 4 years ago). But our DS's birthday is on the 4th, so we never have. This year, he said that he'd like to run it next year as a way to kick off his birthday, so maybe we'll do it next year. :)

I see you're from ATL. Did you run the Peachtree? We have talked about running it every year since we started running (about 4 years ago). But our DS's birthday is on the 4th, so we never have. This year, he said that he'd like to run it next year as a way to kick off his birthday, so maybe we'll do it next year. :)

Yes I did run the peachtree. It was an awesome experience. :cool1:

Does anybody have any costume ideas yet? I am going to be Figment or Tigger. Have not decided yet.

So trying to plan our days a bit now since ADR day is right around the corner. Does anyone know anything about the cool down party? It is in DTD on sunday... it mentions discounts at some merchants. Is this worth planning to do or something to skip?

I keep forgetting about that, Ann (if I may call you that). Since I've never done a rundisney thing I have no idea about it, but I'd love to hear answers!

I keep forgetting about that, Ann (if I may call you that). Since I've never done a rundisney thing I have no idea about it, but I'd love to hear answers!

Of course! Tis my name!!!

This will be my 4th RD event (having ran 2 and ToT this year will make 3) The ToT last year (as well as this year) has the villians bash. The phm didn't have any after party event that I am aware of that was included. This seems less of an organized event. I believe there is a party in epcot after wine and dine... a party inside AK after everest.... all of these seem clear to me on what is included and or what to expect. This one.. the "cool down party" seems like it really is less of an event and more of a "hey stop in and show your medal" thing.

I don't think we have a marathon-weekend 5K/MickeyMile thread, so I just wanted to post here (b/c I'm doing the Half so I'm comfier here) that my son has started his training for the 5K (and Mile) now. :) He is incredibly active, but his running is done in bursts. Basketball, or the running for gymnastics (barefoot), or just playing tag. It's run FAST then stop. FAST, stop. etc.

So we're actually practicing how to run further distances, how to pace yourself, etc. OK OK so he's having to do the same walk/jog as I do, but the theory is the same. :)

It's pretty fun! And since he can't get on the treadmills at the Y because he's only 9, we have to get out onto the sidewalk and really run. Good for me as well!

Hi!!!!
Back from ABD South East Asia trip, it's time to get uber serious about training.
This will be my 4th half. My first Disney RD race. I've worried about getting swept (a little) as the Austin half doesn't actually sweep, but my meds are working (I have RA) and I have faith that I can finish in nearly my personal best which will be plenty of time to even stop and pee once or twice AND get my pictures.
DH is making plans for the hotel and parks stay pre-race now. It's getting real

:cheer2:

I have a FB group
2014DisneyHalfMarathon
if anyone wants to do hoopla support things and maybe get some conversation going.

WOOT!!!

[*]Is there a pacing strategy for the 10K? Is it best to run a steady pace or are there portions that I should try to run faster than others?
[*]Any other tips to help calm me down?? :)
[/LIST]

--- DEEP breath
--- if I can do this, you can do this
--- don't psyche yourself out too much
It's YOUR race... race your race...
When I've done my halfs, I usually find someone to either try to keep pace with, or to try to catch up to an pass. I've always done races alone so this just seems to be a game I play with myself.
--- you CAN do this...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter