Off Site Recommendations for 5? No car.

At $280/per day for a hotel could just as well be $150/day for hotel which leaves $30/day for a rental car, will leave you $100/day to use for other incidentals such as meals and other things. My point is, maybe spend less per day for the hotel and get a rental car. Maybe consider staying at a timeshare resort and just commute in the car or minivan all day. If you dont have a car and rely on hotel shuttles, it will not be as convenient as having a vehicle. Its not that less expensive either. BUT.....I see you are staying at All Star Movies, so you are on-site and do not need a rental car. It sounds like you dont mind using disney transportation at all. So problem solved. A budget of $280/day for a hotel room is expensive unless you are staying onsite. Staying onsite for $280 already includes the convenience of Disney transportation. Have a Fantastic Time!!!

But note that many offsite places charge for parking plus you have to pay to park at Disney...so you could pay $30/day for the rental and then $40/day on top of that for parking

I have priced Windsor Hills - staying in a 3 bedroom condo with a rental car will save us each about $300 ($900 total). MILs question was - with only 4 days in Florida, do we really want to be spending time cooking etc?
Just because you stay in a condo doesn't mean you have to cook. You have that ability but there's no reason you must use it. It saves you money but you could just as easily hop in the car and go out for all of your meals - or order take out.

Just because you stay in a condo doesn't mean you have to cook. You have that ability but there's no reason you must use it. It saves you money but you could just as easily hop in the car and go out for all of your meals - or order take out.

Yes. But doing so then defeats the purpose of staying off site to save money :)

Anyways, I've priced it back and forth and inside out, and the cheapest option seems to be a Windsor Hills condo with rental car. But considering how much time we'll be spending in park (therefore not really maximizing the food savings), it only saves us $300 each. Now, $300 US savings isn't anything to sneeze at, not on my budget anyways, but DH told me to spend the extra for the convenience factor since it's going to be a short trip, and also to be able to experience that "Disney immersion". So we'll stick with ASM. The kids will love the theming.

But note that many offsite places charge for parking plus you have to pay to park at Disney...so you could pay $30/day for the rental and then $40/day on top of that for parking

Good Point and I completely agree. But I have to say for myself, I would be willing to pay the difference for the convenience of having my own vehicle to come and go as I please. But that's my preference but I did forget about the parking fees involved.

I agree. Again, all the more reason to rent a car. Just to have the convenience of options for dining. I agree that having a kitchen doesn't mean you have to cook. But having a full size fridge and stove does provide more conveniences than not having one.

Yes. But doing so then defeats the purpose of staying off site to save money :)

Not necessarily. Have you compared off-site meal choices and prices to on-site meal choices and prices. The sit down buffet restaurants at Disney are $60/adult and $40/child. One adult and one child can eat for $100 not including tax and tip. Even if a party of 5 ate on-site for $20 each, that is still $100. You can feed the entire party at a nice sit-down restaurant off-site for less than that. And of course off-site provides more menu choices.

Anyways, I've priced it back and forth and inside out, and the cheapest option seems to be a Windsor Hills condo with rental car. But considering how much time we'll be spending in park (therefore not really maximizing the food savings), it only saves us $300 each. Now, $300 US savings isn't anything to sneeze at, not on my budget anyways, but DH told me to spend the extra for the convenience factor since it's going to be a short trip, and also to be able to experience that "Disney immersion". So we'll stick with ASM. The kids will love the theming.

I agree with your DH. Sometimes you have a pay a little more for the conveniences and it seems that what your family really wants falls into the category of an on-site stay. Yes, Windsor Hill will be over $1000 less than an on-site stay but if you can make on-site work for the family it will be what everyone wants so it will make Magical Memories that will last a lifetime!!!

One advantage to onsite that comes into play when traveling with extended family is that it's easy to split up. If some members of your party want to relax at the pool while others go to a park, they can. If some people want to stay out later, they can while the others go back to the room. If one person wants to sleep in you can plan to all meet up in the park later. It's harder to split up when you're offsite and dependent on a shuttle or one rental car for the whole group.

One advantage to onsite that comes into play when traveling with extended family is that it's easy to split up. If some members of your party want to relax at the pool while others go to a park, they can. If some people want to stay out later, they can while the others go back to the room. If one person wants to sleep in you can plan to all meet up in the park later. It's harder to split up when you're offsite and dependent on a shuttle or one rental car for the whole group.

Very good point. Our last off site stay we had 2 cars for this reason.

To be clear you can't do this directly. There are no buses from the parks to Disney Springs directly. If there were, everyone would park for free at DS. You have to take a bus to resort, or walk/monorail/boat to a resort from a park, then take a bus from a resort to DS.

100% False

"One-way bus service from the 4 Disney theme parks operates daily from 4:00 PM until 11:00 PM or 2 hours after theme parks close, whichever is earlier."
Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/bus-transportation/

The one-way aspect of this service stops people from parking for free at Disney Springs.

Considering you have a couple of seniors in your travel group, I agree that onsite probably works best for you rather than one rental vehicle or off site with their shuttles. Easier to split up if someone needs to go back for a rest, or wants to do their own thing.

To be clear you can't do this directly. There are no buses from the parks to Disney Springs directly. If there were, everyone would park for free at DS. You have to take a bus to resort, or walk/monorail/boat to a resort from a park, then take a bus from a resort to DS.

Actually there is a bus. I believe its not until after 4 PM. We took from MK to DS over the Holidays. Not sure if it is based on peak season (which seems to be everyday) or not. The other option is to walk to Contemporary (5 minutes) from MK, or from EPCOT to BW or BC etc.

Actually there is a bus. I believe its not until after 4 PM. We took from MK to DS over the Holidays. Not sure if it is based on peak season (which seems to be everyday) or not. The other option is to walk to Contemporary (5 minutes) from MK, or from EPCOT to BW or BC etc.

It's not a seasonal thing. It runs every day of the year. I posted a link to the Disney web page about the service in a previous message.

100% False

"One-way bus service from the 4 Disney theme parks operates daily from 4:00 PM until 11:00 PM or 2 hours after theme parks close, whichever is earlier."
Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/bus-transportation/

The one-way aspect of this service stops people from parking for free at Disney Springs.
I stand corrected then. When did Disney add this new line? It's a bit dated now, but the route's not on my transportation map from our last trip (about 20 months ago). It is an interesting solution to the park/bus issue, and I am sure will have more guests hitting the Disney Springs restaurants after a day in the parks.

If onsite at WDW
Then Value Music resort has suites
Family Suite
Views of the Pool, Courtyard or Parking Area
1 Queen Bed and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair and 1 Double-Size Sleeper Sofa and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Ottoman
Sleeps up to 6 Adults

For a little more money - Art of Animation - fun for little ones and bigger beds !
The Lion King Family Suites
Views of the Courtyard, Pool or Parking Area
1 Queen Bed and 1 Double-Size Table Bed and 1 Double-Size Sleeper Sofa
Sleeps up to 6 Adults
Cars Family Suites
Finding Nemo Family Suites
Sleeps up to 6 Adults

Both have free bus transportation to the WDW Parks, Disney Springs, mini golf, ...
Free MCO airport DME transportation to and from WDW resorts

Values have least expensive food courts - such as a burger and fries $12 at a value quick serve and at a Deluxe resort quick service it can be $15 - $16 !

So eating one meal at the value food court will save $$'s

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter