Odd clinic situation-how should I handle?

clh2

<font color=green>I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my
I had a derm appointment at the end of April. Skin check and discussed a skin tag near my eye.
(To be transparent, my mom passed away, and I was out of town for her funeral, as well as DH has just finished up radiation and chemo treatments for cancer.)

While the derm did try a treatment for the skin tag, the treatment did not work as he indicated it would,

I also only realized, there is no “charting” in my online medical record of my visit, nor have I been billed for my appointment.

I called the clinic a couple of days ago. Apparently, my appointment was on the last day before the physician went unexpectantly on leave, which might explain why the medical charting was not completed, and why I did not get billed.

I’m not understanding why my chart has not been updated for the appointment I had. My insurance only covers 1 “skin check” per year. I’m trying to set up a derm appointment (different clinic, in-network, but through an independent derm, who then would need to do another skin check because, there is no record of me having one.). I need to get my skin tag issue resolved, it is causing some issues related to my eye.

What phrases can I use with the clinic to get them to get my appointment “recorded” properly, and billed properly? Please let me know your suggestions!

I’m sure they have your original appt in the system. I would call the office, reminding them of your appt, and saying that it seems there was no documentation (that you can see from your end) of the visit. See what they say. If it wasn’t charted than ask that it is. If it was, then it was. (Maybe you just can’t see it in the portal.)

You could also call the billing office and the practice manager to sort it out.

"I need you to resolve this issue now as your treatment did not work and I need to see another doctor. Can that be done today? If not, I would like to speak to the [owner...manager...president]"

State your need. Ask for resolution. Go up the chain of command. No excuses. No extraneous.

"I need you to resolve this issue now as your treatment did not work and I need to see another doctor. Can that be done today? If not, I would like to speak to the [owner...manager...president]"

State your need. Ask for resolution. Go up the chain of command. No excuses. No extraneous.
It may not be as easy as getting it resolved “today”. There needs to be documentation from the doctor who conducted the visit/treatment, otherwise it could be considered fraudulent documentation. The question is whether and when that doctor is able to document on the visit (if not there already) - it’s unclear whether he’s still around from the OP, who says he’s “unexpectedly on leave”.

Others may be able to document that the visit occurred, but perhaps, not exactly what was done, unless there was also another licensed person present at the visit who could document the treatment (RN, PA, NP, etc.).

Hopefully they can find a solution.

Others may be able to document that the visit occurred, but perhaps, not exactly what was done, unless there was also another licensed person present at the visit who could document the treatment (RN, PA, NP, etc.).

Hopefully they can find a solution.
There definitely was someone else present during the exam…just not sure if it was an LPN, RN, medical assistant, etc.

There definitely was someone else present during the exam…just not sure if it was an LPN, RN, medical assistant, etc.
That’s good! Someone can verify the visit/treatment. Their name may already be on there. You just need to have some conversations with the people listed above. I’d start w the office itself, and see what happens.

Sorry about your loss, also, and best wishes for your husband.

This may sound like a dumb question, but why not let the original doctor know the treatment wasn't successful and have him take further action? Why the need to see someone else and start completely over again?

This may sound like a dumb question, but why not let the original doctor know the treatment wasn't successful and have him take further action? Why the need to see someone else and start completely over again?
B/c the OP stated in their initial post the doctor took unexpected leave after their appointment.

Sorry for your loss.

Maybe Dr is on leave for something inappropriate like malpractice, I had that happen and everything just sort of vanished - I was given a new Dr without explanation.

I wouldn't press it since the treatment didn't work and would just make another appointment with someone else. If it was me I would just do a sick visit for the skin tag and let the skin check thing float open a few months to see if the paperwork gets sorted, you don't want to end up paying for a second one and not being able to see is a valid sick visit and the snip surgery or laser zap should be covered. I have known people who had full eyelid cosmetic surgery because the loose skin interfered with vision, a skin tag that blocks vision should be fine.

OP here, back with an update!

But first, thank you to all of your comments!

I called the office back this week. The Dr is still on leave, they do expect him back, just do not know when. I explained my concerns again, and this time got directed to a derm nurse. She had a couple of suggestions, and referred me to a plastic surgeon, who referred me to am ophthalmologist to remove the problematic skin tag. I need to have a quick call next Monday with a med-tech person, as I have very basic questions, ie, will that eye be bandaged, which is ok, but if that is the case, I would probably want my husband to drive, so definitely just need to figure out the logistics. Plus, if the eye will be bandaged, I would rather do this at the end of the work day.

The derm nurse was very helpful in moving this towards a solution. Still need to wait for chart to be completed and billed, and at this point, I’m ok with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter