October 2019 Car Rentals at MCO are Painful. What are your finds?

Disneyliscious

DIS Veteran
We're renting October 5th-15th and its worse than I have ever seen. We need 2 vehicles (large group) which makes it worse. I prefer Alamo but they are one of the highest, and have been for a while. It's running $700-$1000 to rent a car. Pretty rough.

What are you all finding out there for October? Non terminal rentals any better?

So far, almost a hundred dollars more than last year, same time, and number of days. And I do almost 2 weeks, the first 2 weeks of October, for several years now.

I started making a reservation months ago. I rinse and repeat, which I think has been 4 or 5 times so far, changing both kind of car, and price. I always figure, I can live with that price, but I have to say, this year, I am more thinking of using a town car service, due to the pricing of rentals so far.

Make use of any coupons and company codes you can find, and are able to use. There's a VISA, AM EX, etc, Costco, BJs, etc.

For what it's worth, I use Alamo in Orlando, except for a few times, Hertz, which I don't prefer.

Good luck, and hope you get better price as we get closer to the rental time. And heck, I even check the price on my phone or ipad, in the airport, as I am waiting for my flight to Orlando.

For what it's worth, I use Alamo in Orlando, except for a few times, Hertz, which I don't prefer.

I love Alamo. Have always had good experiences with them in the past but they are one of this highest this time around. The best price so far is with Fox (never used them and the reviews arent great but for a $450 difference I have to bite the bullet). We are also considering renting 3 cars instead of one minivan. It's actually cheaper but my DIL doesn't have a credit card so that's becoming an issue.

We're renting October 5th-15th and its worse than I have ever seen. We need 2 vehicles (large group) which makes it worse. I prefer Alamo but they are one of the highest, and have been for a while. It's running $700-$1000 to rent a car. Pretty rough.

What are you all finding out there for October? Non terminal rentals any better?

Keep checking. We are also in need of 2 vehicles for Nov 9th - 16th. We did score a Std SUV for $307 and a Suburban for $521 with Alamo. I used coupon AD8913MJR ($30 off) and my Costco code 7014627 to get a free extra drive on both. The rates seem to change all the time. I am still checking daily for better rates.

I've been watching Costco Alamo like a hawk for months, 1 week rental Oct 5-12. Standard/Intermediate cars got as low as ~$238. Standard SUV (which at Alamo is a very generous "Nissan Pathfinder or similar") started at $368 for my first booking and bottomed at $298 before creeping back up again now.

If it works for your flight schedule, the price drops a lot if your rental is even 1/2 hour less than a full day/week. e.g. Pick up at 12:30pm, return at noon, instead of pickup at noon return at noon.

you are looking to far ahead. Rentals will get cheaper as your trip gets closer. Trust me we have been to disney more that 50 times and I never book until a week or two before our trip and the price is always much cheaper than 3-4 months out. Look at other threads say for April and May and you will see those people all said that months and months ago the rates were high but as the trip got closer the rates went down

Looking for 9/28-10/9 as well and have been surprised by the high prices.
Right now with codes and coupons I have Alamo reserved for a fullsize car for $579
Still way more than normal.
Reserve, modify, repeat

I have an 8 day rental starting October 25th with Alamo for an intermediate for $229 all in. This was booked with Costco about two months back. It’s gone up since.

you are looking to far ahead. Rentals will get cheaper as your trip gets closer. Trust me we have been to disney more that 50 times and I never book until a week or two before our trip and the price is always much cheaper than 3-4 months out. Look at other threads say for April and May and you will see those people all said that months and months ago the rates were high but as the trip got closer the rates went down
I actually find a good price can be had six or seven months out and then it goes back up until close to the the trip like you are saying. I always feel better getting something booked and then watching .

Just got my rental down by 57 dollars. Using Costco travel. Had it booked for Mini Van, Oct 19-27 for $579.00. Now I got it for $513.00. This is with Alamo. Yeah!

Beginning to think there may be so many folks with multiple reservations so early in place, the rates are set high by whatever pricing dynamic in place as to supply & demand.

Increasingly, i don’t even bother booking a placeholder reservation unless it’s under $250 for a week. Has worked out fine thus far since rates rose last year. as stated above, prices tend to drop a couple of months out for multiple dates i’ve Checked.

Disappointingly, Alamo only came thru once last year as to decent rate. Only check national via broad pricing search on carrentalsavers site

Dollar has been the winner by a mile majority of times over the last few years. Signed up for express, noticed the assigned car quality has increased. In the past did get some relatively higher mileage/mildly dinged up vehicles but always clean inside.

Hertz gets some good corporate rates but not a fan of their operations as to actual pickup in MCO. Even if an enrolled member, If your CC has new expiration date or you are using a different one from last reservation, you need to stop at the garage kiosk or counter, both of which have been consistently busy when we visit. However, I went ahead and booked last Dec with them as their $166 for a week/full size couldn’t be beat in price. Waited a solid half hour in terminal, considered it a decent tradeoff in the end.

We have an intermediate SUV booked for October 18th to 25th inclusive for $319, Alamo via Costco.

Our May rental started out at a similar price point and dropped considerably about 6 weeks prior to our departure. I am confident that our October rentre will do the same.

We have an intermediate SUV booked for October 18th to 25th inclusive for $319, Alamo via Costco.

Our May rental started out at a similar price point and dropped considerably about 6 weeks prior to our departure. I am confident that our October rentre will do the same.

Hope you are right! We went through Costco also- October 21-29 full size suv $344 with Alamo. I check once a week and it hasn’t moved. I’ll really start watching it at the beginning of September. Thanks! :)

Hope you are right! We went through Costco also- October 21-29 full size suv $344 with Alamo. I check once a week and it hasn’t moved. I’ll really start watching it at the beginning of September. Thanks! :)

Our May rate started out at almost $400 when I first booked the rental, and by the time we traveled, we paid $241 and received a $30 Costco card (making our net cost $211.....for a standard SUV). Hang in there!! The price drops will come.

Are you sure you are not driving prices yet higher by booking early at prices you really don't like?

With fewer high priced early bookings, the companies will have more uncommitted cars for a longer time and then have more of an incentive to lower the prices.

Are you sure you are not driving prices yet higher by booking early at prices you really don't like?

I wiill always hold one reservation as a worst case scenario. At least then I can begin budgeting and know it can only get better. When prices drop, I will rebook at the lower rate and cancel the reservation with the higher price.

I dont consider booking 6 months out "early". The lowest price has come anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months from our travel date,

It might be worth checking those rental rates, fellow October travelers. Prices for my dates dropped over the weekend. I was able to rebook yesterday at $60 less than my previous booking AND got a larger vehicle. I'm now at $260 for 8 days in a Standard SUV. Alamo through Costco.

Last year, late Oct., 9 days we got a mid size from Dollar for $197 for a week plus 2. This year the best I've seen, and grabbed, is a mid size from Alamo for $349, same days. No movement at Dollar, Alamo is bouncing around but still above my $349, I'm watching Budget now.

Bill From PA

I check Costco frequently and will cancel and rebook when the rates are better Just got a minivan thru Alamo on costco for 10 days for $448. There will be six in our group so we have to get a minivan or larger SUV :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter