Oahu Suggestions for Adults

Julia M

DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi
Hello, I have booked a VRBO for myself and dh and our three adult children (and possibly dd's boyfriend). We are not staying at Aulani. I could just not justify the cost. (And I am paying for the trip, Lol). We are staying at Niihau apartments in a penthouse....3 bedrooms, sleeps 8 and our cost (even with the high fees) is just over 5K for 8 nights. It's quite near Fort DeRussy, There is actually a Lahaina Shave Ice stand in the building! We will be there in June.
Anyway, what I am wondering is what you'd suggest to do with all adults. We currently are planning Pearl Harbor and Kualoa Ranch (the ATV tour and Secret Island). We've never been to the Polynesian Cultural Center so are considering that as well.
Can we book a reservation for dinner at Aulani? Is that allowed? Or is it just for guests?
I am especially interested in recommendations for surfing lessons for adults, paddle boards, things like that. Also, any kind of sunset cruise. I figure if we do the three above mentioned activities, then the rest of the time can be beach related activities.
Thanks!

Last edited:
My family (6 adults) did the Sunset Snorkel Dinner Cruise with Ocean Joy out of Ko'Olina marina last week and it was wonderful. Captain Doug and crew were excellent in ensuring a fun, positive experience. It is not a booze cruise but bar is opened for dinner. The food was above expectation. But the crew was what made the memorable experience.

Bishop Museum, and early in the trip. It enhances everything else you do because you'll make connections to things your learned. I think it's much better than the PCC, especially for adults.

At Pearl Harbor, if you've never been, I would take a whole day and buy the Passport ticket. Arizona memorial, submarine, battleship, aviation museum, and maybe one or two other things. We did the passport from open to close one day and it was a full, complete, exhausting day. There's a restaurant right nearby that's good for lunch. Restaurant 604.

Waimea Valley is a gorgeous nature center with a short walk to a small waterfall on the North Shore.

Our favorite hike is Ka'ena Point. Moderate difficulty. Completely flat, but somewhat long, and exposed to the sun so it's best in the early morning and you need lots of water. We saw whales, monk seals, and albatross.

***Edited to correct a typo. It's Restaurant 604, not Restaurant 608.

Last edited:
We loved Captain Doug and the Ocean Joy. They were probably the best crew we've had on any snorkel tour we've ever done.

OP, I highly suggest Punchbowl National Cemetery of the Pacific. It's a beautiful cemetery, full of history. It also has an amazing view of Honolulu.

Diamond Head

Do the Missouri tour as well as Pearl Harbor.

I'm not a fan of the PCC.

I agree with @monsterkitty
I suggest doing the USS Missouri first. Then try to do the submarine and aviation. Save USS Arizona for the end if at all possible, then head up to the Punchbowl National Cemetery. The Punchbowl was very well worth the time, glad we didn't miss it.

Sunset cruises in Waikiki are great. My favorite boat is the Maitai. Sails nice, good seating, online reservations are easy. Surfing in Waikiki is great for beginners, several stands along the beach offer lessons. You must have a lesson to surf, trying on your own just does not work. With a lesson you will have great success. A group lesson is fine and saves money. Aloha Beach Services is a good place to sign up. Also for sure do the outrigger canoe rides. Only place in Hawaii that will offer these. The waves in Waikiki break very far out so you get a real long ride, it is my favorite activity. Make sure you set aside some cash for pictures

leahi.com alohabeachservices.com

Hello, I have booked a VRBO for myself and dh and our three adult children (and possibly dd's boyfriend). We are not staying at Aulani. I could just not justify the cost. (And I am paying for the trip, Lol). We are staying at Niihau apartments in a penthouse....3 bedrooms, sleeps 8 and our cost (even with the high fees) is just over 5K for 8 nights. It's quite near Fort DeRussy, There is actually a Lahaina Shave Ice stand in the building! We will be there in June.
Anyway, what I am wondering is what you'd suggest to do with all adults. We currently are planning Pearl Harbor and Kualoa Ranch (the ATV tour and Secret Island). We've never been to the Polynesian Cultural Center so are considering that as well.
Can we book a reservation for dinner at Aulani? Is that allowed? Or is it just for guests?
I am especially interested in recommendations for surfing lessons for adults, paddle boards, things like that. Also, any kind of sunset cruise. I figure if we do the three above mentioned activities, then the rest of the time can be beach related activities.
Thanks!

I would recommend Waikiki Beach Services at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel for paddle board/surf lessons. I think they also have a location at the Sheraton Waikiki. I used them for paddle board lessons on two separate trips and loved them. I also did the outrigger canoe ride with them which was fun. While I haven’t used them, the Ty Gurney Surf School may be slightly closer to your Fort DeRussy location.

Thanks!
Big Wave Dave's is near there. Great set of instructors for surfing! Also second the Maitai cruises.

Thanks!
Electric Beach is really close, but don't leave valuables in car. Nice small breaks and snorkeling.

Thanks!
Brunch at the halekulani hotel on Waikiki
Hanauma Bay for snorkeling
Kaneohe Bay Sandbar tour
Haleiwa
Makapu’u Point Lighthouse Trail. A fun, pretty easy hike

Went to Oahu in August with DH and 2 adult children.
Some of our favorite things were: snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, hiking Diamond Head, going to a Luau, Pearl Harbor, and swimming At Waikiki beach at Sunset. If you are near Waikiki you must get some malasadas from Leonard’s!

Be sure to research each place you want to go as most have to be booked in advance since Covid and getting what you want rivals getting a Lightning Lane at Disney. Some are booked the day before, some 48 hours in advance, some further out etc. We had to be especially fast for the USS Arizona and for Hanauma Bay.

I don’t know where you are coming from, but it was 6 hours earlier for us which worked out great. We were up and ready around 6am most days and hitting places in the morning was ideal.

https://alohastadium.hawaii.gov/aloha-stadium-swap-meet-marketplace/
I also highly recommend the marketplace at Aloha Stadium if you are looking for inexpensive souvenirs for folks best home. DH and I also got luau shirts there, DH got a great watch, and we had some yummy fruit.

We did the sunset cruise (not snorkel) with KoOlina Ocean Adventures and loved it. Each guest got 3 free drinks however I know some ended up with 4 and just gave a really good tip. ;) No one was really keeping track of who got what. We each got a charcuterie box too and shrimp (I passed on the shrimp). The crew kept coming around to wait on us, they were wonderful! Could not do enough for us! Even after the included food they said if we wanted more they had chips and stuff downstairs but I didn't see anyone take them up on that. I believe Friday nights are adult only too. We would definitely do this again.

Skip the PCC. It is owned by the LDS Church and if you want authentic culture I think ownership by colonial missionaries is... Not that?

Nutridge Luau is native owned and a lot of fun, with an amazing Punchbowl view.

Skip the PCC. It is owned by the LDS Church and if you want authentic culture I think ownership by colonial missionaries is... Not that?

Nutridge Luau is native owned and a lot of fun, with an amazing Punchbowl view.
There are lots of debates on the topic. PCC is owned by the LDS, but the curriculum is driven by the cultural representatives of the cultures represented. Since these representatives are either church members, or sponsored in their studies by the church, there is undoubtedly some colorization of their cultures, but there is also pride of representing their cultures, so they apparently work hard on accuracy (within church guidelines).

I’m sure it’s not fully accurate, but neither is (was) Main Street in Disneyland. Not sure that would be a reason I’d avoid going.

If you are renting a car consider downloading a driving app (we used GyPSY and it was well worth the money for a one time purchase for Oahu. He gives tours of the island identifying points of interest with commentary and highlights. There is even a lesson on the Hawai'ian language and some history of the Ko Olina area). It was as though we had a personal local tour guide in the car with us.

Last edited:
If you are renting a car consider downloading a driving app (we used GyPSY and it was well worth the money for a one time purchase for Oahu. He gives tours of the island identifying points of interest with commentary and highlights. There is even a lesson on the Hawai'ian language and some history of the Ko Olani area). It was as though we had a personal local tour guide in the car with us.
I second downloading the GyPSY app, especially for when you're doing an island circle tour or a North Shore road trip. We used it here and in Maui in the past and he's very good at pointing out scenic rest stops that are worth seeing.

One recommendation I'd have if you have a car rental is to not eat food at the Aulani resort. There are so many better and cheaper options in the area and my favorite was Broke da Mouth Grindz. They have a very popular location in Kona on the Big Island but just opened one up in Kapolei recently. We arrived 15 minutes before they opened and were third in a line that just grew. The Foodland in Kapolei also has a pretty good selection of poke and bento boxes and the Costco there also has sashimi at a great price.

Another great place for food if you're willing to drive out more is the Kaka'ako Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. It's smaller and less crowded than the one at KCC imo but also has plenty of great food options, including ceviche at Seafood Cartel and handpulled duck noodles at Youpo Noodle. There's a very popular green juice stand and fruit bowl stand there as well.

I know this is a very food centric post, but if that's what your family is into, I'd suggest looking for food on Amanda and Felix's food vlog on YouTube. They were born and raised on Oahu and if you look up their channel and any video with Kapolei or Ko'Olina in the title, you can find great food choices in the Aulani area. The description of their videos always contain which restaurants they went to.

There‘s a fun, easy hike to Manoa Falls, and right next door is the Lyon Arboretum. Makes for a great afternoon!

There‘s a fun, easy hike to Manoa Falls, and right next door is the Lyon Arboretum. Makes for a great afternoon!
And if you want to do a triple, do Manoa Falls and the Lyon, then finish up with the Nutridge Luau, which is right up there as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter