o/t camera shopping

BitsnBearsMom

<font color=green>We sure are lucky that way<br><f
Needing some advice from all the technical savy disers here - right now we have this camera http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/ Had it for 3 years now and have had it fixed 2X the first time JUST after the warranty period was up. Dh is NOT impressed with that and wants to look for something new - right now it's hit and miss if it's even going to turn on as the battery compartment doesn't seem to close right.

Dh is looking at a Digital SLR camera for the next one as he likes to have the 'bells and whistles' but I need the simple point and shoot feature. After spending a small fortune on the last one (was over $800 with taxes as we figured we were getting a great product :confused3 ) we don't want to spend as much on the next one!

Can anyone recommend a good brand/camera for me and or what we should be looking for?

If you are looking for a DSLR and also want simple features on it look at the Nikon D60 great little camera smaller bady but still uses all teh Nikon SLR and DSLR lenses. You can also get it in a package with lense for the 600 dollar range sometimes less.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...rtmentId=10404&categoryId=10429&itemID=234001

The D40 is also a great little DSLR and with lense itis on at Henrys for 449.99

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...rtmentId=10404&categoryId=10429&itemID=184661

Hi. If you are ever in Brantford, slip into Fairview Photo. DD20 works at this Camera shop, and she knows what she is talking about and has sold lots of camers.

well, I had a canon, used it for 3 yrs and the sensor went in it, i went out bought another canon A720is, then read about a recall for the old one...

the new canon is just over 1 yr old, and is already starting to act up, I will NOT by another canon in the future.

thats all i have to add.

I have just bought a Nikon D40 recently at Black's photography and also bought the VR (vibration reduction) zoom lens to 55- 200mm

http://blackphotostore.com/english/proddetail.asp?sku=4045

http://blackphotostore.com/english/proddetail.asp?sku=4040

http://blackphotostore.com/english/proddetail.asp?sku=5501

If you go to Blacks they will give you a one on one lesson to get you familiar with the camera and also offer courses such as night photography etc.

I have played around with my camera since I got it a couple of weeks ago and it takes really nice pictures.

The nice thing too is that if you aren't knowledgeable about all the settings you can use the AUTO feature which makes it like a point and shoot camera.

I spent at least 6 weeks researching all the brands and even though Sony camera's seem to have more features for the dollars, I kept going back to the Nikon as it is a nice smaller size. Some of the others are quite a bit bigger.

Just look at the "All new picture of the day" thread on here and see that the most impressive pictures seem to come from Nikon users

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1900670&page=251

Hope this helps :goodvibes

Good luck in your choice.

iluvwesties (aka Carol) :wave:

The Nikon D 90 is sweet. Live view and shoots HD video but cost may be a factor. The body is around $1100.

Do you really need an SLR?
There are some quite powerful P&S (point and shoot)

I like Henry's they've dealt with any problems quickly with no grief.

They also have a half back trade in within the first year.

Most problems with electronics seem to happen very early on in their life.

Some folks aren't big fans of extended warranties but I've been happy with the ones I've bought with my electronics.
Apple Care and Henry's Extended Life Plan.

Earlier post about dropping by the camera shop in Brantford is a good idea. Honest advice through someone connected to the disboards. This would be my first stop. They sales person should know which cameras have issues.

Thanks for the info - the Nikon does seem to be a nice camera - the one lady dh liked that seemed to know what she was talking about also recommended looking at a panasonic. We don't HAVE to have a DSLR - dh just wants a camera that has 'features' if you kwim. Boys and their toys and all that!!
I would be happy with a camera similar to the one we have now - I JUST got comfortable finally using that one!! Will NOT buy Canon again though.

Might be able to get to Brantford next weekend.

I got this for my birthday in June. I love it. It does soooo much and takes wonderful pictures. I am still learning all the features, but can 'point and shoot' when needed

I always check out Consumers Reports when we make a purchase for no nonsense information

Good luck

I didn't read through the posts, but in case someone did not suggest it yet, you could check the photography board her on the DIS. I think there is even a sticky for choosing a new camera.

Good luck.

I've also been doing a lot of camera research the last few weeks/months. I've been a long time Canon fan and own an old AV-1 35mm camera and a Canon S1 IS. The old Canon took wonderful pictures and I am by no means close to being a competent photographer. I bought the S1 a few years ago and it has always been a good reliable camera for us but I've never been real happy with the results of the pictures.

So I want to get a DSLR but one that is relatively simple to use. I've shopped quite a bit and have done a lot of reading of reviews and such. For me I have found the Canon Rebel DSLRs to be a bit bulky and heavy. I like the feel of the Nikon's - D40, D40X, and D60 as being lighter and smaller in the hands. I am really leaning towards the Nikon D40 even though it is several models old. One review of the D40 that I read really got me to thinking about it and I will probably get it before our trip in December. Check out professional photographer Ken Rockwell's site and read for yourself. What he says made sense to me.

iluvwesties, I'm glad to hear of your purchase as it is the same way I'm leaning. It always nice when someone else goes through similar research and comes up with the same results!

Good luck, BitsnBearsMom, on your search for a camera.

I've also been doing a lot of camera research the last few weeks/months. I've been a long time Canon fan and own an old AV-1 35mm camera and a Canon S1 IS. The old Canon took wonderful pictures and I am by no means close to being a competent photographer. I bought the S1 a few years ago and it has always been a good reliable camera for us but I've never been real happy with the results of the pictures.

So I want to get a DSLR but one that is relatively simple to use. I've shopped quite a bit and have done a lot of reading of reviews and such. For me I have found the Canon Rebel DSLRs to be a bit bulky and heavy. I like the feel of the Nikon's - D40, D40X, and D60 as being lighter and smaller in the hands. I am really leaning towards the Nikon D40 even though it is several models old. One review of the D40 that I read really got me to thinking about it and I will probably get it before our trip in December. Check out professional photographer Ken Rockwell's site and read for yourself. What he says made sense to me.

iluvwesties, I'm glad to hear of your purchase as it is the same way I'm leaning. It always nice when someone else goes through similar research and comes up with the same results!

Good luck, BitsnBearsMom, on your search for a camera.

OT..... but the reason I got my Nikon D40 was to take on my trip to WDW in December also :woohoo:

SaskDisNut, I think you will be VERY happy with the D40 if you decide to get it :thumbsup2 just consider upgrading the lens to a VR as the D60 has vibration reduction but the D40 doesn't (but you can get this feature in the lens)

iluvwesties aka Carol :wave:

Im not a camera expert, but we've had our Pentax for 2.5 years now and it still works wonderfully. The picture quality is great! The price of ours was about 500$-600$.

The one thing I will say is that the more features you have on your camera, the faster it will suck the energy out of the batteries. This can become really inconvinient while at WDW and you're trying to catch a pic at the right moment.

My DW recently got a Canon SD 870 and it seems to take decent pictures and video for everday use. But I still bring my Nikon D200 for this upcoming trip.

We have had teh D70 and now a D80 and I am looking at upgrading to the D300. We have alswyas loved the Nikon products and have had Canon and Pentax and Olympus but keep going back to Nikon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter