NYT op-ed video on DL living wage

Why is it that Costco can pay their employees well, keep their prices in check, and stay very profitable but other, similar, companies claim they can't do so?
Costco will tell you they save money by paying their employees well. They have very little turnover which saves much more than the extra they pay out to their employees.

Why is it that Costco can pay their employees well, keep their prices in check, and stay very profitable but other, similar, companies claim they can't do so?

The majority of Costco employees are not unionized - I wonder if that impacts things

Also the latest increase was to $14/hour minimum wage ... Disney is (ultimately) going to $15 so not like Costco is outlandishly higher or anything

But they do seem to have developed a good culture and deliver profits

$14/hour minimum is still high for many areas. Every Costco employee I've met has loved working for Costco. It's common for the start dates on the nametags at the one near me to be a decade+ ago.

The prevailing sentiment for those opposed to WDW paying their union employees more money seems to be "it's going to cost me more money to vacation at WDW now" and "prices will rise". As many have suggested WDW employees should do in order to make ends meet, just get a second job to pay for the vacation. WDW doesn't have to keep wages low in order to subsidize vacation costs for any of us.

m
I see that you took this from Thomas Piketty's publication. You may want to check on that as his research has been shown to be full of erroneous data.

https://www.ft.com/content/e1f343ca-e281-11e3-89fd-00144feabdc0

The definition of a "living wage" varies from person to person, based on the discussion up to this point. While we all agree that someone working 40 hours should be able to house, clothe, and feed, various views have various extras added. Based on this view, that a "living wage" does not have a strict dictionary definition, then the amount required varies from person to person. When something varies, it is purely political. How many people can we get on our side by naming this movement as supporting a "living wage"?

I see that you took this from Thomas Piketty's publication. You may want to check on that as his research has been shown to be full of erroneous data.

https://www.ft.com/content/e1f343ca-e281-11e3-89fd-00144feabdc0
I did not take this from Piketty, although I guess he was the original source. If there's some sort of error with the chart I provided then have at it but I'm not having a debate about his latest book, I haven't read it yet and I can't access the full FT review without a subscription.

Looking for updates to the Orange County elections, specifically projections on the leaders. Came across this gem, that is germane to this thread:
"In Los Angeles and the Bay Area, a monthly mortgage takes, on average, close to 40 percent of income, compared to 15 percent nationally"
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/08/a-generation-plans-an-exodus-from-california/

When we discuss a living wage for Disneyland, the surrounding area's housing cost is much more than most places in the US. No wonder someone making $10 or $12 an hour cannot afford rent.

Looking for updates to the Orange County elections, specifically projections on the leaders. Came across this gem, that is germane to this thread:
"In Los Angeles and the Bay Area, a monthly mortgage takes, on average, close to 40 percent of income, compared to 15 percent nationally"
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/08/a-generation-plans-an-exodus-from-california/

When we discuss a living wage for Disneyland, the surrounding area's housing cost is much more than most places in the US. No wonder someone making $10 or $12 an hour cannot afford rent.
California is insane. It won't let me read the article, but a large chunk of my friends have moved or will move from this state. Rent under $1000 is a miracle and very hard to find. I don't know what the answer is for everything, but I understand the frustration.

Exactly.

Average apartment rents in Orange County, CA are currently close to $2000/month. That is over 100% of take home income for a DL full time CM.

The average rent in Orlando is $1200/month.

Since housing costs about 66% more in Anaheim vs Orlando, Disneyland CMs deserve 66% higher pay than WDW CMs. It's only fair.

So, pay WDW CMs $15, and pay DL CMs $25/hr. That's a level playing field. Of course, it will never happen. But this is a good illustration of why a "living wage" is needed.

Another point to "CMs getting raises means tickets will be more expensive" crowd.

Ticket prices were going to go up anyway and have been increasing at a much faster rate than employee wages. Don't you feel a little better about paying high prices when it's going to mean better wages for cast members? Because I sure do.

Exactly.

Average apartment rents in Orange County, CA are currently close to $2000/month. That is over 100% of take home income for a DL full time CM.

Since housing costs about 66% more in Anaheim vs Orlando, Disneyland CMs deserve 66% higher pay than WDW CMs. It's only fair.

So, pay WDW CMs $15, and pay DL CMs $25/hr. That's a level playing field. Of course, it will never happen. But this is a good illustration of why a "living wage" is needed.

well, there is more to what you spend $ on than just housing, so not sure the pay needs to be that full 66% more (I mean, a phone costs the same in CA as it does in FL, etc.) - but the point that a living wage is different in different parts of the country is definitely true

well, there is more to what you spend $ on than just housing, so not sure the pay needs to be that full 66% more (I mean, a phone costs the same in CA as it does in FL, etc.) - but the point that a living wage is different in different parts of the country is definitely true

Well, gas here is almost $4/gallon. Groceries are also more expensive. Utilities are also higher, on average. So, yeah, housing is only one piece of the puzzle for sure.

Exactly.

So, by that logic, if a ticket at WDW is $100, then a ticket at DL should be $166.67???

Please define "living wage". Its the new buzz term that seems to be replacing "fair" so Im curious as to the same question I used to ask about what is considered "fair". What is a "living Wage" and then to further it, please define where it says in any government document ( Bill of Rights/Constitution) that you are guaranteed this mythical made up number. Im just interested to see the responses and attempts to validate this term.

Please define "living wage". Its the new buzz term that seems to be replacing "fair" so Im curious as to the same question I used to ask about what is considered "fair". What is a "living Wage" and then to further it, please define where it says in any government document ( Bill of Rights/Constitution) that you are guaranteed this mythical made up number. Im just interested to see the responses and attempts to validate this term.

It says it right next to the line, "we must prop up corporations with subsidies"......

AHhh, nice deflection. So since you cant answer the question it becomes look over there and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Fail. Try again.

AHhh, nice deflection. So since you cant answer the question it becomes look over there and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Fail. Try again.

Go back and read through, I've answered that question already.

Nevermind, I'll save you the trouble. Living wage is not having to look to the taxpayer to make up the gap. That means no food stamps, no section 8, etc..

Now, let's answer this one that I've asked countless times: Why do the taxpayers have to make up the deficit? Why can't the corporation?

Google is your friend here. A living wage is defined as the amount an individual must make to support their family If they are the sole provider and work full time (40 hrs/week).

Take a look at this useful living wage calculator. Enter in a zip code to see what a living wage should be in any given area.

http://livingwage.mit.edu/

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest