Now on the Wonder!

Lovely to hear! We loved Alaska and the Wonder is our fave! We were on the WBPC and noticed a strong sewage smell in Cadillac Lounge and the nightclub restrooms, especially on sea days with a bit of rocking....any update on this situation ?

Very glad to have really Doug Jones is still speaking !
Sorry. Haven't been to the lounges. There has always been, and still is, a slight oder in the cabin bathroom. Wish I had brought along a car vent size air freshener. We are using the leftover scrub from the Rainforest room and it helps. Comes in a small jar and we leave the lid off.

So you're making it to Tracy Arm? I think that will be the first cruise this year.

What stateroom number? We are in Navigator Verandah in a week and a half!
We are in Cabin 7628. Love the padded bench where I put my feet up to watch the scenery go by. It is also nice to be protected from wind and raindrops.

Question about your servers, we will be having a party with 4 with dietary issues, by chance have you seen how well your servers deal with them? We had excellent servers on the Magic last time that made a world of difference (they even knew which desserts used beef gelatin), so I would like to find really good ones that know their stuff on dietary issues, which not all do unfortunately.

My husband and I are at a table by ourselves. We have no dietary issues. The servers and the Head Waiter all asked on our first night. In fact, we have seen our head waiter several times each night asking how things are going. He makes the rounds of the whole dining room. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thanks for this 'live from' post, we are sailing to Alaska at the end of August so I'm soaking up ALL the knowledge :)

We may try an Alaska trip when our DD gets older. Right now we are enjoying the warm climate/beach type cruises while she is young.

Due to ice, we were in Endicott Arm and saw Dawes Glacier. We started in the arm around 11:30. It was about 2ish when we started to see the Glacier. The boat then stays at the closest point and turns so each side of the boat gets a view. Then turns around and heads out. We were out on deck from about 10:30 - 4:00. We saw multiple calvings! All happened later in the day right before we turned around. According to the naturalist, Dawes frequently calves due to the salt water tides. Dawes is a bigger Glacier. I was very grateful for waterproof shoes; rain jacket; knit hat and binoculars.

No salmon BBQ. I waked thru the buffet line...nothing much different. While in the arm, they handed out hot chocolate and pea soup in bread bowls.

Thanks for spending some of your MBs on us. It is great to hear the "live" reports!

Sorry. Haven't been to the lounges. There has always been, and still is, a slight oder in the cabin bathroom. Wish I had brought along a car vent size air freshener. We are using the leftover scrub from the Rainforest room and it helps. Comes in a small jar and we leave the lid off.
I've read that there's a "p-trap" in the bathroom floor that's supposed to always have a bit of water in it, & if it dries out, it can stink. If you find it & put a bit of water in it, that might help.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/magic-deck-8-plumbing-issues-still.3456519/#post-54600895

I remember that "slight bathroom odor" from our cabin bathroom on the Magic, but hadn't read that tip before that trip, so never tried it. Our Fantasy bathroom had no odor at all.

Last edited:
Skagway today. After a cloudy start the sun is shining. We took a tour to Emerald Lake with Dyea Dave tourr with Sasquea (sp?). Wonderful! My husband and I ended up being the only 2 on the tour, so had a private tour. Stopped many times along the way for pictures and views. Ate in Carcross - home of the Carcross desert; dunes and everything. Saw mountain goats up high - Sasquea was an excellent spotter. Saw a cinnamon colored black bear by the road. She spooked likely because of her cub -- which was blonde. You could hear the cub talking, but there was too much undergrowth for a picture. Beautiful views all around. We then got to go to the Goldrush Cemetary and lower Reid falls. Learned a bit about the plant life bc of our guide.

Frozen deck party tonite!

Skagway today. After a cloudy start the sun is shining. We took a tour to Emerald Lake with Dyea Dave tourr with Sasquea (sp?). Wonderful! My husband and I ended up being the only 2 on the tour, so had a private tour. Stopped many times along the way for pictures and views. Ate in Carcross - home of the Carcross desert; dunes and everything. Saw mountain goats up high - Sasquea was an excellent spotter. Saw a cinnamon colored black bear by the road. She spooked likely because of her cub -- which was blonde. You could hear the cub talking, but there was too much undergrowth for a picture. Beautiful views all around. We then got to go to the Goldrush Cemetary and lower Reid falls. Learned a bit about the plant life bc of our guide.

Frozen deck party tonite!
That sounds like a wonderful excursion!! Was your guide surprised to see the bears, or did it seem like that was typical in the area you went? We're cruising this same week next summer so I'm trying to soak up all the weather/seasonal info I can about this time of year. I know everyone loves the train in Skagway, but my kids will be bored being stuck on it that whole time, so we need to mix that up with something else (or skip it altogether). Stopping for animal sightings would make them happier for sure.

We are also doing a private driving tour the week after next. I hope we luck into a bear sighting.

That sounds like a wonderful excursion!! Was your guide surprised to see the bears, or did it seem like that was typical in the area you went? We're cruising this same week next summer so I'm trying to soak up all the weather/seasonal info I can about this time of year. I know everyone loves the train in Skagway, but my kids will be bored being stuck on it that whole time, so we need to mix that up with something else (or skip it altogether). Stopping for animal sightings would make them happier for sure.
Sasquea said there were more bears by the roads the last few weeks as they love to eat dandelion. It is always hit and miss bc it's wildlife. Except eagles. Only way you will not see eagles is if you stay in bed.

You can go one way on the train and one way by van either via private tour or Disney, which might be a compromise with the kiddos.

Juneau today. Forcast said cloudy and 46. Ended up being sunny and 60! We did a whale and Glacier science excursion. It was with Gastinau Guiding company booked with Disney. We were on the 745 am tour. There were 13 people on the tour. Boats are small and windows flip up for extra viewing. Saw about 5 different whales, seal lions, eagles - one caught a fish and flew next to the boat. Lots of eagles at the harbor calling and chasing each other; adults and juveniles. The guide, Nick, took pictures of whale flukes as part of the 'science' in the tour. Was able to identify a whale nicknamed Flame. That was for a cooperative study with NOAA and U of Alaska. When we visited Mendenhall, we took water samples. Very kid friendly. Tour pics u up at ship and u have the option of being dropped downtown or back at ship.

We ate at Tracy's crab shack for lunch. Super! It is right by the tram to the top of the mountain. Great views up top. Trails and a bald eagle, plus shops and a restaurant.

Tiana's for dinner for New Orleans night. Good food. Bread pudding and beignets - yummy.

Going to see Frozen.

Ketchikan. Nice to sleep in as all ashore isn't until 11:15. We strolled around downtown, which is right where we docked. No other ships docked today so not very crowded at all. Shopped on Creek Street and took the funicular to the top to Cape Fox Lodge. There is a nice group of totems at the lodge. We decided not to do this, but there is a city bus that will take you to both Totem Bight and the other totem park for $5. Nice if you don't want to pay for a tour.

Went back to the ship and some time in the Rainforest room at the spa. We bought a length of sail pass for both of us. Senses has a bit of work to do...there were frequently no robes in the locker room. The Rainforest room needed an attendee to to walk thru more often as towels would get low and people not bothering to put towels in bins made it untidy. My biggest complaints are that the loungers aren't warm but HOT. You need a double layer of towels if you want to relax or nap more than 15 minutes. Finally, the music in definitely not quiet room spa music and loud. It would become annoying as it was more lobby or workout style.

Looking forward to the day at sea tomorrow and the last Doug Jones talk.

I always feel the Rainforest loungers aren't hot enough :)
The loungers on the Dream and Fantasy I found nice as they "warmed up" as you lounged. I couldn't sit on these for more than 5 minutes with out layering towels. Guess it minimizes any wait time for a spot

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!