Now is the time to worry

Sith Lord 13

Earning My Ears
Well, for me to worry anyway. I'm hoping someone here with a cooler head and maybe some experience will be able to help me stop worrying.

I applied to the DCP without doing to much research in the spring, deciding to just go for it. I got declined then, figured it wasn't meant to be, and moved on. Last week, I got an e-mail saying they still had some positions available. I told them I was still interested, and started doing some research. I received an e-mail yesterday saying I was accepted for Quick-Service Food & Beverage. Now I'm starting to worry, because I feel like I don't have nearly enough information. I've seen everything on Disney's site about it of course, but I'm hoping someone here might be able to help calm my worries, and also tell me what I need to look into to make sure everything is going to be OK with my school, etc, so I don't run into any issues.

Well, first, it's that I don't feel like I have enough information in general. I feel uninformed. Every piece of information I get feels skewed. I feel like Disney's site is trying to sell me on it, and I feel the few other sources I've found have been anti-Disney. Disney makes it look like sunshine and roses (it's a job, I know it's not going to be all that all the time) and a few sites I've read seem to say that Disney treats their employees like crap, which I really don't want to believe. I'm mostly hoping for someone who's done the program to give me a fair shake on it. That's the biggest thing worrying me right now.

It really depends on the location. Some QSFB locations have terrible managers, some have really nice ones. If you don't want to be working in a busy food service location (think McDonald's, only infinitely busier), then maybe you want to rethink it. QSFB is QSFB, it's basically working at a fast food place that's really really busy. The program has a bunch more to offer than just the work experience, though- the people you will meet and the things you will do can make memories that you might not be able to get anywhere else.

I did the CP, but not in QSFB. My roommates who are in it say it's basically working a really really busy fast food place, and if you have bad managers it stinks. In QSFB, the work can get dull, stressful, repetitive, but it can anywhere, I definitely had those moments as a vacation planner. It's basically up to you to decide whether the experience of working in a QSFB location is for you or not.

Well, first, it's that I don't feel like I have enough information in general. I feel uninformed. Every piece of information I get feels skewed. I feel like Disney's site is trying to sell me on it, and I feel the few other sources I've found have been anti-Disney. Disney makes it look like sunshine and roses (it's a job, I know it's not going to be all that all the time) and a few sites I've read seem to say that Disney treats their employees like crap, which I really don't want to believe. I'm mostly hoping for someone who's done the program to give me a fair shake on it. That's the biggest thing worrying me right now.

I just finished the DCP in May, and it was the best experience of my life. Disney actually takes very good care of their employees (I mean, they have over 60,000 CMs.....and a lot have been with the company for years). You seem to have the right attitude in that you know it's a job. I find that quite a few CPs go into this thinking they'll get to party all the time, and that's not true. You will work quite a bit. At least 30 hours a week. And you'll be making minimum wage, so you won't have a ton of money. However, if you're wise with your money, you can leave the program with some (I'm proud to say that I did!).

But Disney does an amazing job with the perks they give the CMs, and they extend those perks to the CPs.....because we're CMs, too! :) I honestly never wanted my program to end. In fact, I extended, so I was there from August 2011 until May 2012. This was by far the best job I've ever had.

I think that as long as you know that you will be working quite a bit, you'll be fine. :)

It really depends on the location. Some QSFB locations have terrible managers, some have really nice ones. If you don't want to be working in a busy food service location (think McDonald's, only infinitely busier), then maybe you want to rethink it. QSFB is QSFB, it's basically working at a fast food place that's really really busy. The program has a bunch more to offer than just the work experience, though- the people you will meet and the things you will do can make memories that you might not be able to get anywhere else.

I did the CP, but not in QSFB. My roommates who are in it say it's basically working a really really busy fast food place, and if you have bad managers it stinks. In QSFB, the work can get dull, stressful, repetitive, but it can anywhere, I definitely had those moments as a vacation planner. It's basically up to you to decide whether the experience of working in a QSFB location is for you or not.

Thank you. See, this is something I needed to hear. Now, the next question would be about my location. Do I have any say in it? I know I can't change positions when I get there (actually, is that true?), but would I be able to change from one location to another?

I just finished the DCP in May, and it was the best experience of my life. Disney actually takes very good care of their employees (I mean, they have over 60,000 CMs.....and a lot have been with the company for years). You seem to have the right attitude in that you know it's a job. I find that quite a few CPs go into this thinking they'll get to party all the time, and that's not true. You will work quite a bit. At least 30 hours a week. And you'll be making minimum wage, so you won't have a ton of money. However, if you're wise with your money, you can leave the program with some (I'm proud to say that I did!).

But Disney does an amazing job with the perks they give the CMs, and they extend those perks to the CPs.....because we're CMs, too! :) I honestly never wanted my program to end. In fact, I extended, so I was there from August 2011 until May 2012. This was by far the best job I've ever had.

I think that as long as you know that you will be working quite a bit, you'll be fine. :)

I can not believe I missed your reply. This helps me relax quite a lot. OK, next thing. Who should I be talking to about this at my school? Any idea?

I can not believe I missed your reply. This helps me relax quite a lot. OK, next thing. Who should I be talking to about this at my school? Any idea?

I did my CP after I graduated, so I didn't have to talk to my school about it. However, you should probably start with your advisor. Make sure you take information about the program (especially the educational components) just in case they aren't familiar with the program. If they can't help you, they should be able to tell you who can.

And to answer the question you asked aznshents, you can request where you would like to work, but they can't promise you anything.

And feel free to check out my blog. I know I was FSFB, but I talk a lot about the program overall and my experiences, so it's not solely about my location. It may help you out some. And on my blog roll page, I have links to 2 blogs by girls who were in QSFB.

And if you want to ask me any questions, feel free to PM me. I love talking about the program, so I'm open for answering any questions you have! :)

I did two CPs although right in a row and in the same role/location, so really just one long one. and it was seriously amazing, I did not want to leave. I was custodial! Which I really did not want and barely considered getting but I did. my managers and everyone I worked with were amazing though which is a big part of it.
It's really true that anyone who hates it just either just doesn't like their role/location or didn't expect to work so much. but it really is amazing, I mean I'm completely biased just remembering getting paid to watch fireworks every night but still everyone I met also loved it :)

And to answer the question you asked aznshents, you can request where you would like to work, but they can't promise you anything.

And feel free to check out my blog. I know I was FSFB, but I talk a lot about the program overall and my experiences, so it's not solely about my location. It may help you out some. And on my blog roll page, I have links to 2 blogs by girls who were in QSFB.

And if you want to ask me any questions, feel free to PM me. I love talking about the program, so I'm open for answering any questions you have! :)

As soon as I hit 10 posts I will. :)

I did my CP after I graduated, so I didn't have to talk to my school about it. However, you should probably start with your advisor. Make sure you take information about the program (especially the educational components) just in case they aren't familiar with the program. If they can't help you, they should be able to tell you who can.

I don't have an adviser at the moment (program changes and screw ups and a very long story) Its also the summer, so I don't know who I'll even be able to get in contact with.

I did two CPs although right in a row and in the same role/location, so really just one long one. and it was seriously amazing, I did not want to leave. I was custodial! Which I really did not want and barely considered getting but I did. my managers and everyone I worked with were amazing though which is a big part of it.
It's really true that anyone who hates it just either just doesn't like their role/location or didn't expect to work so much. but it really is amazing, I mean I'm completely biased just remembering getting paid to watch fireworks every night but still everyone I met also loved it :)

The bolded part is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I don't have an adviser at the moment (program changes and screw ups and a very long story) Its also the summer, so I don't know who I'll even be able to get in contact with.

Go to your school's study abroad office and see if they can help. I know this isn't technically a study abroad, but they might be able to give you some information or point you in the right direction at least.

Go to your school's study abroad office and see if they can help. I know this isn't technically a study abroad, but they might be able to give you some information or point you in the right direction at least.

Sounds like a plan. I just pray they're open during the summer. (Entire campus is closed Friday and weekends during the summer.)

I know people who hated QSFB. When I did my interview, they said I would have a higher chance of getting into the program if I checked that role because they needed people so badly.

But work is such a SMALL component when it comes to the dcp. Most of my best times was when I wasn't at work. Hanging out in the parks, parties, hanging with co workers. Honestly, your co workers make work tolerable, no matter what your role is. Take a breather, take a chance, go for it :)

I did my CP in QSFB and it was ok. I didn't love it, didn't hate it either. The work wasn't that much fun. I'd worked in a fast food restaurant before so it was basically the same job which was a little unfortunately. However, I LOVED the people I worked with (including the managers) so even though I wasn't entirely crazy about my role, I still miss it everyday and wish I could go back. The program is what you make it. If you convince yourself that you're going to hate your role and you're going to be miserable, you will be. But even if you aren't crazy about your role, you can still have a great CP. And just think of all the people who desperately want to do this program but don't get accepted and would kill to be where you are. Be thankful for the opportunity at all.

I did my CP in QSFB and it was ok. I didn't love it, didn't hate it either. The work wasn't that much fun. I'd worked in a fast food restaurant before so it was basically the same job which was a little unfortunately. However, I LOVED the people I worked with (including the managers) so even though I wasn't entirely crazy about my role, I still miss it everyday and wish I could go back. The program is what you make it. If you convince yourself that you're going to hate your role and you're going to be miserable, you will be. But even if you aren't crazy about your role, you can still have a great CP. And just think of all the people who desperately want to do this program but don't get accepted and would kill to be where you are. Be thankful for the opportunity at all.

Exactly! Especially those last two sentences. I worked with several other CPs who wanted to party all the time and really didn't want to do anything at work, and it just ticked me off because I kept thinking of all the other people who got turned down who would have actually worked.

And it's the same with my co-workers. I loved them all. Facebook has been invaluable to me because I can still keep up with them and talk to them. I met 2 of my best friends on the program, and I miss them every day (they both got PT at Disney, so they stayed). I wish more than anything that I could go back and do my program all over again. I miss my Florida life every day!

OK, I'm loving everything I'm hearing. I feel unworried about the experience now. The only thing I still have to work out is some stuff with my school. So long as I get approval from them, I'm doing it. :) Now, any advice you can give? Like the specific little things.

Exactly! Especially those last two sentences. I worked with several other CPs who wanted to party all the time and really didn't want to do anything at work, and it just ticked me off because I kept thinking of all the other people who got turned down who would have actually worked.

And it's the same with my co-workers. I loved them all. Facebook has been invaluable to me because I can still keep up with them and talk to them. I met 2 of my best friends on the program, and I miss them every day (they both got PT at Disney, so they stayed). I wish more than anything that I could go back and do my program all over again. I miss my Florida life every day!

The CPs I worked with were actually great but I met people who were definitely more interested in partying and such. It just doesn't make sense that you'd risk getting termed just to party when you can do that anywhere. :laughing:

Same here. Two of my three roommates are now two of my best friends and I love them so much. I'm applying for spring 2013 but I'm scared it won't be as great as my first one. One of my roommates and her boyfriend are seasonal CMs and are living in Orlando now and I'm SO jealous. :laughing: I want to be back more than anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter